Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zombieman

Do you think there should be another Doom horror game?

Doom 3 was controversial. We all need to acknowledge that, even as fans of Doom 3, it was divisive in the community. There are some who love the horror elements, and some who think they aren't Doom enough. I am neutral in this topic. I like the idea of a Doom horror game, but I feel like it should not be a main game. In my opinion, it should be reserved for a spinoff. Horror isn't really Dooms thing. Yes, there is atmosphere, but horror isn't Doom in my opinion. But what do you think? I am interested in seeing if you would like another horror Doom game like Doom 3.

Horror a la Doom 3? No, not unless they avoid the mistake it did, that being sacrificing the gameplay for the atmosphere.

I'd like something like Doom 64 instead, but the new id isn't really a fan of horror styled Doom games, so chances are, none of these will ever happen.

I would absolutely love to see a new Doom game with a focus on horror. Take notes from Doom 64, with it's dark and moody atmosphere and macabre visuals but still retain the straight up action shooter gameplay that we all know and love. I don't think it will happen, but I think it can be done.

I really want a horror game for doom, but I don't think that should be allowed to change the gameplay.  Just make the atmosphere more powerful.

Games can still be fun even while incorporating some horror elements, a good example of this is F.E.A.R series.

I'd love to see it but we never will. DOOM3 had an amazing atmosphere that was really reminiscent of how the original game felt back when it came out.

Then again, I'm not sure why people call it horror. It's a horror-themed shooter and that's not the same thing. I mean, a true survival horror DOOM game? I'd play the hell out of it. But personally I'd rather have a more dynamic action game akin to DOOM4 but with a much, much darker aesthetic, more sinister atmosphere and more messed up monsters.

On 8/27/2018 at 4:09 AM, tempdecal.wad said:

Games can still be fun even while incorporating some horror elements, a good example of this is F.E.A.R series.

Or the Stalker series, those games also have an unsettling atmosphere.

Yeah dude, I'd love another horror game in the Doom series. I don't know why people would come to the Doom3 segment of the forum if they just want to say Doom3 was trash, which it wasn't. You can argue its gameplay wasn't enough like the classics, but saying it was a failure as a game, that's a whole 'nother issue.

On 8/27/2018 at 10:08 AM, Touchdown said:

I'd love to see it but we never will. DOOM3 had an amazing atmosphere that was really reminiscent of how the original game felt back when it came out.

Then again, I'm not sure why people call it horror. It's a horror-themed shooter and that's not the same thing. I mean, a true survival horror DOOM game? I'd play the hell out of it. But personally I'd rather have a more dynamic action game akin to DOOM4 but with a much, much darker aesthetic, more sinister atmosphere and more messed up monsters.

I think there's some serious merit to that idea, yeah. Doom3's version of horror isn't so much actual survival-oriented, edge of your seat scare, it's more like B-movie horror - evil laughter, flashing lights, the occasional jump scare, and you're not exactly sure where the next attack is coming from, but you're not too worried about it. It probably says something that the two expansions are increasingly ambivalent about the horror aspect of the game.

I think it makes sense that after Doom 2016's success, the fanbase would be a little ambivalent about going in a Doom3 style direction to some extent. After all, Doom3 is good, but it's not nearly as memorable as Doom 2016 is to the modern gamer. The idea of just making a 2016 style game with a more sinister aesthetic, maybe something inspired by the more gothic, industrial atmosphere of Doom 64? I gotta be honest, I'd play the heck outta that. And as for the concept of taking "horror Doom" to a more serious extreme than Doom3or any other game, I'd at least be interested in seeing how Id would pull it off.

All of which said, if Id did for some reason come out with a game more like Doom3, something with a less mobile, more vulnerable protagonist, but who can still slowly acquire more weapons and basically blast their way to victory rather than being scared the whole game through? I'd be very interested. I like the Doom Slayer, but that sense of a vulnerable hero who becomes a berserker-packing-man-and-a-half as you get more and more effective monster-fragging resources, is one of the big appeals of Doom to me, and Doom3 has it as well. The Doom Slayer kind of lacks that element of "being vulnerable at first", and I don't overly mourn it, but just knowing there are other, lesser Doom Guys out there to play as, that'd be nice to know too.

6 hours ago, Adekis said:

Yeah dude, I'd love another horror game in the Doom series. I don't know why people would come to the Doom3 segment of the forum if they just want to say Doom3 was trash, which it wasn't. You can argue its gameplay wasn't enough like the classics, but saying it was a failure as a game, that's a whole 'nother issue.

I think there's some serious merit to that idea, yeah. Doom3's version of horror isn't so much actual survival-oriented, edge of your seat scare, it's more like B-movie horror - evil laughter, flashing lights, the occasional jump scare, and you're not exactly sure where the next attack is coming from, but you're not too worried about it. It probably says something that the two expansions are increasingly ambivalent about the horror aspect of the game.

I think it makes sense that after Doom 2016's success, the fanbase would be a little ambivalent about going in a Doom3 style direction to some extent. After all, Doom3 is good, but it's not nearly as memorable as Doom 2016 is to the modern gamer. The idea of just making a 2016 style game with a more sinister aesthetic, maybe something inspired by the more gothic, industrial atmosphere of Doom 64? I gotta be honest, I'd play the heck outta that. And as for the concept of taking "horror Doom" to a more serious extreme than Doom3or any other game, I'd at least be interested in seeing how Id would pull it off.

All of which said, if Id did for some reason come out with a game more like Doom3, something with a less mobile, more vulnerable protagonist, but who can still slowly acquire more weapons and basically blast their way to victory rather than being scared the whole game through? I'd be very interested. I like the Doom Slayer, but that sense of a vulnerable hero who becomes a berserker-packing-man-and-a-half as you get more and more effective monster-fragging resources, is one of the big appeals of Doom to me, and Doom3 has it as well. The Doom Slayer kind of lacks that element of "being vulnerable at first", and I don't overly mourn it, but just knowing there are other, lesser Doom Guys out there to play as, that'd be nice to know too.

This. This is spot on. I love Doom 3, maybe not as a Doom game, but as a great horror game. Changing up the series was a pretty good idea.

I think they should do both, horror and action, within the same game. Doom and Doom 2 did it 20 years ago, no excuse not to be able to pull it off now. Some levels more claustrophobic, with few but powerful enemies and little ammo to get and more dark and satanic enviroments, maybe at the begginning of the game, then some open areas with lots of monsters and ammo with more colorful and more "human" but still bloody levels. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

I think Doom should stick more to the epic ultra-violent carnage rather than horror, but I wouldn't be opposed to horror themed mods.

A Doom 64 or Doom Ps1 style would work the best, the horror being relegated to the aesthetic and tone of the game. If you're going for horror, it has to be all or nothing. You can't make the player feel both helpless and OP, Doom 3 in my opinion was too conflicted between horror and being like Doom to really excel in either one.

Why not? Whereas I am already sick of Doom 2016 and its obnoxious "edgy" presentation, I do still have a soft spot for Doom 3 - the original one, not the subpar Resurrection of Evil expansion. Its slower-paced gameplay, unnerving atmosphere, excellent sound design and still-impressive use of lightings and shadows as well as its believable world and engaging story definitely grew on me over the years, to the point where I do not even mind its contrived implementation of the flashlight.

That said, I have to admit the weapons are really oddly balanced, the enemy AI is quite poor, the game drags a bit in places (e.g. the Alpha Labs) and it has a bit too many enemy types for its own good; for example, the Maggot and the Cherub are kind of redundant, the Trite is really not used well and what is even the purpose of the Tick? And the least said about Resurrection of Evil's additions, the better...

Ultimately, I would be interested in another survival-horror entry in the Doom franchise; ideally, one that combines Doom 2016's strengths - specifically, the deadly AI and the tighter weapon balance - with basically everything that made Doom 3 great and unique.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

Doom 3, as well as Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil, may not be my favorite Doom games, but I do still like them. I personally do think it would be cool to get another Doom game similar to 3, but not if it at all interfered with Doom Eternal, or any future Doom games like that. I think it would be OK if we got something similar to Doom 3 from like another developer or something, while ID still works on Eternal and any other future mainline games in the Doom franchise. 

I don't think they need to revisit this format, but I appreciate DOOM 3 exists as a one-off in that style. It's effective in what it tries to do.

If there was a horror survival game based in the Doom universe where you're just a vulnerable scientist who is slow to run / reload guns and can't carry much where you rely on sneaking and hiding from Doom monsters, I would happily play it.

But I will never prefer it over a true Doom release.

On 9/24/2018 at 9:46 AM, Chezza said:

If there was a horror survival game based in the Doom universe where you're just a vulnerable scientist who is slow to run / reload guns and can't carry much where you rely on sneaking and hiding from Doom monsters, I would happily play it.

But I will never prefer it over a true Doom release.

That's exactly what I think too. Or perhaps playing as a lone marine. It could even be a retelling of Doom 1 before Seraphim.

Obviously, this game would have to be a spin-off and not part of the main series. The mechanics would be different so I doubt it could work as a DLC.

To be quite honest, even if I found that the game's attempt to be scary a fail, I still liked the plot and how awesome the graphics were impressive back then, it was way different than classic games, but I don't know, I still somewhat enjoyed playing it anyway. However, I don't think making something like this once again would be great of an idea.

In my opinion, Doom 64 is what Doom 3 should've been. It had a dark and creepy atmosphere but still kept the fast-paced action and non-linear gameplay the classic games always had.

I'm not saying that Doom 3 was bad. It was a good game, but it just felt kind of out of place.

Most definitely it would be awesome, but only if they manage to shift the genre a bit towards the horror gene, as Doom 3 itself was hyped. Early previews of Doom 3 presented it as a lot more complex than it ended up as. Every single monster was a whole ordeal, every single detail counted. Most notably, the pinky demon encounter was described as a monster dragging a human corpse behind it, painting the floor red. You'd see its shadow appear before itself, or alternatively it would see your shadow first. And you really wanted to make the best use of this situation.

In the end, it was labelled as just a "first person shooter" and all the complex scenes were simple skippable cutscenes, not part of gameplay. It was perfectly clear what was a monster and what was simple ambient noise. I wish the new scary Doom iteration to be less predictable.