Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Technical data regarding music in Doom 2 bothers me

So there's something regarding the files of the music in Doom 2 that seem to really bother me for some reason. Most of the music have duplicates of each other, and the duplicates are mostly the same, except for a different filename (obviously) and slightly different-sounding. Why do the "duplicates" exist? Why not use the same music track more than once?

45 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

So there's something regarding the files of the music in Doom 2 that seem to really bother me for some reason. Most of the music have duplicates of each other, and the duplicates are mostly the same, except for a different filename (obviously) and slightly different-sounding. Why do the "duplicates" exist? Why not use the same music track more than once?

To make modding easier. For example, it lets you change the MAP07 music (D_SHAWN) without changing MAP19's and MAP29's music too.

I'm not sure it was id software's intent. I figure they just did it that way to make it easier for them to rearrange the songs.

There are actually minute differences between some of the entries, most notably how D_DDTBLU uses a different (more polished) version of the track than D_DDTBL2 and D_DDTBL3.

Yep, I always type idmus08 on those maps to avoid the irritating broken loop on map14 and map22

i haven't had the broken loop happen to me in ages; it does occur, but it doesn't permeate into the loop now. i know for sure it happened back when i was playing the game from the Doom Collector's Edition, but i assume that's just part of the Doom95 port it using being a piece of ass.