Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

40 minutes ago, JamieBGood said:

I only just realised that the Super Shotgun can gib Imps and Zombiemen. Or at least it can in BtSX Episode 1 on Doom Retro.

That's probably one of Doom Retro's additions, because it doesn't happen on vanilla. My guess is that the SSG can deal enough damage at once to be able to gib those enemies, but it won't do it since damage is calculated in a different way due to it firing multiple pellets. Someone with more knowledge about Doom's code could probably give a better explanation.

each pellet does do damage individually, and when each individual pellet hits it checks the hit thing's HP and checks if it should kill it right then. At a maximum of 15 damage, no pellet can gib anything in the game. Presumably Doom Retro adds up the damage from a shotgun blast and then at the end of it, applies the sum of the damage. Even the normal shotgun could easily gib a zombieman under this condition, so I'm assuming Doom Retro messes with the gib condition in this case.

8 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

^ Huh? In two years of using Crispy, I've never gibbed a single enemy with a hitscan weapon.

Oh. Checking Fabian's changelog I see it was in Crispy, but removed due to demo desyncing issues. My bad.

I was looking around one of the beta version's files, and while I found a lot of neat stuff, this got most of my attention:

W20_1.png.d2424e0ca647fa564f298c67f3c036a2.png

It's wonderfully gruesome.

On 9/4/2018 at 10:42 PM, Cell said:

@KVELLER it's the Icon of Sin marble made by DEM1_1, *2, *3 and *4.
DEM1_1.png.25ca4639847c133c0a42a8419dca09c2.pngDEM1_2.png.7d28b81a256f40f62a60c2cbb73dc25c.png

DEM1_3.png.31c6a38c3dd7eb93b9499ddc575fc7c2.pngDEM1_4.png.00e1c8906ddd310e2d5ebfad875b6a3b.png

[EDIT] @elarmadillo3 it's like that, I guess, ever since the IPS Community Suite was implemented over vBulletin.

I wonder why they'd use some random, obviously unfinished texture like that.

Also, the fuck are those green things?

5 hours ago, elarmadillo3 said:

Also, the fuck are those green things?

Trees? Toxic Waste? Melted Space Marine asses?

This is for Doom 2016 and I kind have known this for a while but...

Doom Slayer has a fist only state without berserk powerup. This is possible via Snapmap.

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

Discovered this rather cool looking lost pile of gibs from 1993:

Either I'm missing the punchline, or you've gotten some numbers wrong. The thread that you're linking to isn't even two months old.

4 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Either I'm missing the punchline, or you've gotten some numbers wrong. The thread that you're linking to isn't even two months old.

Yeah, I don't understand what you're saying either. I was refering to that pile of gibs that's listed in the original post in that thread.

Because, quoting the OP: "The lost pile of gibs from 1993 that John Romero gifted us a couple of years back"

PILEA0.png

that DOOM 2 has A LOT of emphasis on storytelling in it's levels.

ive never really been a fan of DOOM 2 but, DOOM 2 went above and beyond to convey Specific themes as closely as possible in it's levels. Buildings, suburbs, and other destroyed areas, And when i saw some of the "destroyed" textures, only recently, i have to say i was surprised at the attention to detail.

15 hours ago, BrassKnight said:

There are sliding door codes found in the Doom source code but was commented out.

Any more info on this? Based on how choppy it is, I suspect it was some kind of midtexture trick that was thrown out for being too hacky.

16 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

Any more info on this? Based on how choppy it is, I suspect it was some kind of midtexture trick that was thrown out for being too hacky.

There is more info about it, I found the video and info at The Cutting Room Floor:

Spoiler

The source files p_doors.c and p_switch.c have some remnants of code for sliding doors. These are restricted to the commercial version (Doom II). They would've been created with line action 124, but the code to activate them was commented out in the source.

Anyone familiar with Doom's renderer knows that sectors can only change vertically, the result of using a static BSP tree defined in the NODES lump for each map. To work around this limitation, these doors aren't sectors at all – they're animated textures applied to a linedef. They would use the textures GDOORF1-4 (front) and GDOORB1-4 (back), which aren't present in the final version. The code sets the blocking flag when the door is closed, preventing you and monsters from passing through it, and unsets it when the door is open.

The video to the right shows these doors in action using the original code, which is a bit bugged: sometimes the doors don't close properly and since the blocking flag doesn't stop hitscans or projectiles, they can pass through these doors like they're not even there. It's subjective, but the limited amount of animation paired with the fact that they're paper thin also makes them look terrible.

These doors are functional in the v1.4 and v1.5 Doom betas.

More ugly hacking could seriously improve this effect:

1. Instead of storing the same texture inthe WAD 4 times with slightly different offsets, the offset of an in-memory texture could be adjusted runtime, making the door action smooth.
  2. The bullet and object clipping could add a lot of complexity. For a fairly easy to build, but truly hideous hack, invisible things could be attached to the door opening, effectively blocking bullets and passing objects alike.

If it were not for the modern polyobjects in ports like Eternity, adding such nasty hackiness might almost be justified. I would almost always say 'No' to an idea like this, but even with just the 4 frames of that video, I can appreciate the visual animation - it has some potential.

I’ve just read the entire thread over the past week! Thanks for a fascinating education :)

I’m revisiting Ultimate Doom trying to find every secret now so I’m discovering a lot I didn’t know before - the least pleasant of which is that one side of the yellow door in Deimos Lab is accidentally a D1, trapping you outside it if you happen to backtrack.

After I had a look at it, I always assumed it was meant for map31 and map32. With working sliding doors just like the ones in Wolfenstein, they could have hardcoded some extra logic to the SS enemies so that they only shoot at things in other sectors if there is a open door-line between the sectors. It's not the most robust approach, but neithere were the doors they added.

Yeah, every time I watch that video, I do a double-take, cause my eyes are so accustomed to seeing doors go up and down. It's a cool effect, even if its implementation is non-existent.

On 9/6/2018 at 4:43 PM, KVELLER said:

I was looking around one of the beta version's files, and while I found a lot of neat stuff, this got most of my attention:

W20_1.png.d2424e0ca647fa564f298c67f3c036a2.png

It's wonderfully gruesome.

Wow, it kinda looks like one of these Google Deepdream pictures.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2011 at 10:41 PM, esselfortium said:

Today I just noticed that in Doom II, MAP04: The Focus and MAP05: The Waste Tunnels both end in nearly the same way. A yellow key-locked exit door on the other side of a rising bridge, with the key placed directly in front of the bridge so as to make it nearly impossible during normal gameplay to approach the door without already having its key. In MAP04, the bridge is raised by the player pressing a switch, and in MAP05 it's raised automatically by a walkover.

MAP06: The Crusher ends similarly, with a rising bridge to a yellow key-locked exit door, but there the player at least has to exert a little bit of effort to get the key.

It's never a good sign when you've run out of ideas already by the end of the fourth map. No wonder American pretty much gave up after the first episode.

The whole appeal of map2-6 is that they are so cohevise artistically, they are fun to play together, unlike the rest of the game which has some great standalone levels, but overally hodgepodge when it comes to coherent leveldesign. The only other cohesive work in the IWADs is episode 1 of Doom 1.

EDIT: Oops, I replied to a 7 year old post. Babies who were born that day are now going to school.

doom / doom2.exe have a qwerty layout hardcoded into them for some reason. Is this some DOS / Watcom thing?

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 12.17.15 PM.crushed.png

14 hours ago, Linguica said:

doom / doom2.exe have a qwerty layout hardcoded into them for some reason. Is this some DOS / Watcom thing?

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 12.17.15 PM.crushed.png

Very much DOS. Reading the keyboard as scancodes. The scancodes are fixed by the position on the keyboard, IIRC, and do not have a fixed relationship to ASCII (or other codepage) characters. That table you see is for shifting in particular, IIRC. So on an AZERTY keyboard, the 'A' key sends the same scancode as the 'Q' key on a QWERTY. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Supporting various keyboard layouts certainly would've been possible, but it'd have been more work too.

French language stuff about Doom just printed the cheat codes as "IDDAD", "IDKFQ" and so on.

Doom II's final map, Icon of Sin's left wall is not perfectly straight. Sandy Peterson must have been really busy to not notice this detail.....but OMG it really stands out when viewing it top-down in some map making software.  Open this map in DoomBuilder, you'll notice it straight away. Also this map has a line def that's completely unused. 

Maybe he built this map in a hurry during a "crunch-time"?

DOOM2 at 2018.09.14 21-19-36.652 [R2787].jpg

DOOM2 at 2018.09.14 21-19-46.861 [R2787].jpg

DOOM2 at 2018.09.14 21-20-01.467 [R2787].jpg