• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DarkShroom

trouble lining up skybox using skybox viewpoint

Question

Hi

I am having a bit of trouble lining it all up, in particular:

I can't seem to line the fog up, i want this the same fog density as the normal ingame areas, what values can i set?

Where should i place the z height if i want as close as possible to a real flat horizon....so what i mean is, in the source engine, i could line up the plane of my floor at 0, with the plane of the horizon, this looks kinda like a giant dessert, mechwarrior 2 or something

Also in the source engine, i could make a giant structure and achieve the illusion of going inside it, so i could align the skybox on the x and y to say look like we are entering a giant building, i think if i knew the scaling maybe this would be possible, i might have to make some sort of archway that covers the join?

So: fog lining up, position of skybox viewpoint (0 seems to er mess this up here?), and whether them scaling illusions can look satisfying in this engine

thanks, Richard

9 answers to this question

Setting the play area and the skybox to the same fog values doesn't work?

Try Line_Horizon at the edges of the play area to get that infinite desert look. It might also fix the fog problem.

If you make a building in the skybox, the player will never appear to move relative to it, making it look far away, and never getting closer.

5 hours ago, Empyre said:

Setting the play area and the skybox to the same fog values doesn't work?

Try Line_Horizon at the edges of the play area to get that infinite desert look. It might also fix the fog problem.

If you make a building in the skybox, the player will never appear to move relative to it, making it look far away, and never getting closer.

this is not normal?

edited:

i just tried the mapdef:

fogdensity
and also
skyfog

they do change the fog strength but i still can't get it to line up with the skybox

edit 2:

okay i changed the mapdef but have a seperate value set in doombuilder in the skybox sectors... this seems to make sense... however what is the scaling

ie i have fogdensity =8, do i set 64? (i guess maybe it's x8)

Edited by DarkShroom

Scaling? I think you are confusing the GZDoom skybox with that of a Source engine game, which works completely differently. In GZDoom, whatever the skybox viewpoint sees is used as the sky. There is no scaling, and no amount of moving in the gameplay area will change the spot from which you are viewing the skybox. You will never get any closer to anything in the skybox.

Try the Line_Horizon I mentioned earlier and see if it works.

i tried that, it's cool in that i can make the horizon extend without making it giant as i do normally

however it doesn't allow me to line up the floor the effect i wanted was for the plane of the horizon to be level in the game, so i could merge the join in the skybox seemlessly

Raise the skybox viewpoint some. Maybe 64 unit will be enough. The idea is that whenever you use Line_Horizon in the gameplay area, the player will never see the floor of the skybox, so there will be no seam.

i've tried that

it wasn't that, i thought it through in my head, the gzdoom code is weird and i literally was puzzling over this, like how could they have possibly coded it so it doesn't work???

I think the gzdoom is like if you were to zoom in on a camera, so it's like having a low FOV or a high mm on a lense. It won't line up as it's not been done properly imo. It's the only guess i can think of why you could possibly have a skybox that doesn't line up.

So for example in a normal skybox you could set the camera at 0 height atop a plane, then you could make a "brush" (like floor in a room in half life, set that texture as skybox)... the skybox would actually look like the floor, it can line up perfect.

In gzdoom, i think (this is my guess but it sounds convincing) this is an easy to code hack, so it's like if we shoved a camera in the skybox room but put the zoom on extreme, flattening the scene and making everything look big. Where in the source engine it'd actually render larger sized models on a different canvas that is at the same FOV.

I think on that note i've worked out just to avoid the skybox for the purposes i was describing, i will make the geometry itself bigger and use some 3D floors instead

summary: it's not documented but i get it, the skybox will never line up if it's just a zoomed in image... would be nice if i got a dev to confirm it but i think the question has run it's course

I just now cut a piece out of one of my maps that demonstrates how I used SkyViewpoint and SkyPicker. I turned it into a small, playable, but really tough map, especially tough in my custom skill level, Slaughter, that replaces Nightmare. The WADINFO lump contains all the usual txt file information. The map is in Zandronum-compatible UDMF format.

emp_skybox_demo.zip

4 hours ago, DarkShroom said:

I think the gzdoom is like if you were to zoom in on a camera, so it's like having a low FOV or a high mm on a lense. It won't line up as it's not been done properly imo.

Could you share a screenshot of what you're describing?  I've never had any issues with what you're describing, so I can't help but wonder if it's something you're not setting up right.  Indeed FOV surely can't impact a SkyViewpoint because it literally displays the entire 360 degree view of what it can see.  There's no "field" of view, it's the entire view

the first images are where you have a skybox

it can look okay like we're hovering above the ground

however the second pictures are the strategy i am now following to achieve the illusion of being close to the outside and it going off to infinity

(ignore the 3d floor glitch, i'm having trouble with the fog there)

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 02.22.57.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 02.23.05.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 02.23.42.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 02.23.49.png