Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
indigotyrian

Ports That Support MP3 (and other non-MIDI) playback

Hey is there a comprehensive list of the ports that support non-MIDI playback (which I reckon is most), and if so, which formats they support? I'm thinking of going MP3 for my next WAD and I want to know if that's a good idea for compatibility reasons. Thanks in advance!

Not exactly sure, but ogg support is pretty good comparatively (and MP3s are pretty unpredictable, I'd stay away from them). PRBoom+, ZDoom, Eternity, etc.

8 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

Not exactly sure, but ogg support is pretty good comparatively (and MP3s are pretty unpredictable, I'd stay away from them). PRBoom+, ZDoom, Eternity, etc.

Hm, I might go with ogg instead. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Gaia74 said:

I know all the ports admit mp3, but the disadvantage is that they weigh a lot

While this is true, at least one of the songs I want to use is written in an old format called PMD, which isn't really supported by anything from this century. Ogg's the next best choice.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

An Ikachan song?

Similar. My girlfriend Noyemi K. writes music for the PMD format. Some of her songs sound right at home in Doom but making MIDI versions of them would involve re-scoring the entire song, so it's easier (and more authentic sound-wise) to just make ogg copies.

Ogg Vorbis is better supported (has better quality than MP3, too).

There used to be legal reasons to not support MP3, but now all the patents have expired... it's mostly just that no one cares about MP3 that much.

Also Classic RBDoom 3 BFG supports mp3 audio files on all 3 games and especially on doom 1 & 2 it also support EVERY audio format FFMPEG also supports

I have not tested this, I haven't even looked at the music code,  but .. 

I suspect that if DoomLegacy got Ogg music from a lump, it would pass it to SDL music.

The interesting thing about SDL music is that it supports multiple music formats, including Ogg.

[From SDL site]

SDL_mixer is a sample multi-channel audio mixer library.
It supports any number of simultaneously playing channels of 16 bit stereo audio, plus a single channel of music, in FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, MP3, MOD, and MIDI formats.

As of SDL_mixer 1.2.7, FLAC, MOD, Ogg Vorbis and MP3 loading libraries are dynamically loaded, so if you don't need to load those formats, you don't need to include those shared libraries.

[end]

It does depend upon whether your SDL library was compiled with the Ogg support.

It is possible many ports that uses SDL, could be capable of supporting Ogg music.

Of course, that would be too easy.  Just as likely to be some odd test for midi in the port or some such hindrance.

Anybody got a way to test this.

First step would be to have some Ogg music in a wad ...    Anybody got one of those.

1 hour ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Slade does not play MP3 files at all for some reason.

It does, but only on Windows, and only if you leave Windows Media Player installed.

58 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

It does, but only on Windows, and only if you leave Windows Media Player installed.

But I have Windows 10... and just now looked for Windows Media Player and for some reason I don't have it. Well, I never liked using it. I always prefer VLC. But I thought that my Windows 10 at least came with it!

Ah, I miss the old days of Windows XP from back when I was a kid. Windows XP was my first operating system.

I'm not sure that Windows Media Player comes installed on win 10, my laptop came installed with this music app called "groove music" instead which is also made by MS so im guessing that is the newer replacement of WMP, sort of like how Edge is supposed to be the newer replacement of internet explorer (but it still sucks anyway)

Is there an easy answer to where in rc-dc.wad the ogg lumps are.  Are they replacing any music ?  What should I hear when I am listening to the ogg ?

edit: I tried it and heard music, but I could not tell if it was ogg or not.   Erratic music with kettle drums.

I would rather not have to reverse-engineer the wad to figure out where the ogg was in it.

Edited by wesleyjohnson

Well, if you open the WAD in Slade you will see there are two Ogg lumps: D_RUNNIN and D_STALKS. They replace the music of both maps in the WAD.

SLADE does say that the two music lumps are ogg.  I tested the wad. They do play through DoomLegacy without any special code.

If SDL will play ogg lumps that way, then I suppose it would play MP3 lumps too.

I had SLADE extract the DRUNNIN lump and I played it using ogg123.  It sounds the same as in the game.

I could not get music out of SLADE.  My hardware device has to hook to ALSA, so ALSA is my primary sound device.

Even though the pulseaudio test button works, I don't seem to have pulseaudio sound now (I did at one time).