Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mun

Articles 13 and 11 From The Copyright Directive Passed By The European Parliament. Major Problems Arise.

Whoa, what's with these calls for riots? Try every peaceful method please, because doing violence right now will only cause harm.

7 hours ago, Xcalibur said:

the migrant crisis is greatly accelerating the collapse due to the massive pressures and polarization it's causing, and the EUs inability to respond effectively.

I'm not gonna go into greater detail of how basically everything you said there is inaccurate, or how easy it is to read between the lines that you're basically just echoing any major conservative news outlet or mouthpiece in the US... None of which surprises me at this point, for the record.

Instead I'm just gonna let you know that the magnitude of the refugee "crisis" (because that's what it really is) is largely caused by how respective nations or their neighbours have been severely destabilized and driven down the shitter by the US in particular in the past years. Since the refugees can't just cross the Atlantic Ocean in a rusty bathtub, these refugees are headed for Europe. In the meantime the US does literally fuck all to compensate the EU for the efforts that are the immediate consequence of this, and in particular the american right wing loves to tell their fellow citizens how the EU is bad at all the things in hopes of making their own shortcomings look much better than they really are.

In a nutshell, it's like dropping a turd on your neighbour's plate during dinner, and then calling them out because their potatos smell funny. And don't get me started on how you try to elbow your bullshit into another topic that has nothing to do with anything you regurgitated there.

Physical violence will only make the opposition look bad, we need to make it clear all over the Internet how much damage this actually does. Independent Journalism, gone. Independent reviewers and Press that aren't approved by the companies (So the ones kissing up to them), bye bye. Things like parodies and memes, they're out too. This destroys Fair Use, at least in Europe, and I wouldn't be surprised if it helped inspire more European countries to have their own versions of Brexit because this is way too overbearing and completely screws over content creators that aren't helmed by some giant media corporation.

3 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I'm not trying to advocate rioting, but I have to agree with this statement. People tend to notice when a riot breaks out, and I'd imagine that this would apply to the idiots in power, as well.

You want them to pay attention, so you have to force them to pay attention.

Indeed.

I wouldn't advocate rioting either and yet, it seems it's the only way to make others take notice or make yourself heard these days...

I'm not saying go into the streets and set government vehicles on fire. I'm saying that you need to make the politicians pay attention. Mass protests on the scale of the Vietnam War protests in the late 60's and early 70's, for example. Literally thousands of people turning out to make a statement against these articles would be very noticeable, especially if it happened all across Europe. This is a serious problem, and the only way to make the politicians pay attention is to take to the streets and call for them to throw this out. A hundred people on the internet are easy to ignore. A million people protesting in the streets are impossible to ignore.

Threatening to force a vote to leave the EU might get their attention in a way that hits much closer to home. I hate to say this but the higher ups don't seem to have too much of an urgent measure against physical violence on the streets since they're not the ones who will be hurt by this.

The idea of mass protest and marches for the most part don't actually work.

For a march to mean fuck all it actually needs to be reported by the news, so everyone knows what's going on and why. However all across Europe we have protests most of which get no press coverage, so only those that already "Know the deal" know the deal.

If you look into what exactly is going on in Europe you will find that thousands of people are already on streets protesting anyway, mainly about immigration/freedom of speech/anti islam etc.

So what I'm getting at, if we organise marches against articles 13 and 11 it will likely receive no press coverage and will be futile.

The only way to win is at the ballot box, that means our MEP's need convincing to vote on what we want to happen. One country could swing the vote and by the looks of the previous vote (or the one before) we need the French to sort there MEP's out. 

EDIT: What I'm finding frustrating is the lack of coverage, it seems almost like it's been kept quiet and there lies the problem.

Edited by Liberation

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I'm not gonna go into greater detail of how basically everything you said there is inaccurate, or how easy it is to read between the lines that you're basically just echoing any major conservative news outlet or mouthpiece in the US... None of which surprises me at this point, for the record.

Instead I'm just gonna let you know that the magnitude of the refugee "crisis" (because that's what it really is) is largely caused by how respective nations or their neighbours have been severely destabilized and driven down the shitter by the US in particular in the past years. Since the refugees can't just cross the Atlantic Ocean in a rusty bathtub, these refugees are headed for Europe. In the meantime the US does literally fuck all to compensate the EU for the efforts that are the immediate consequence of this, and in particular the american right wing loves to tell their fellow citizens how the EU is bad at all the things in hopes of making their own shortcomings look much better than they really are.

In a nutshell, it's like dropping a turd on your neighbour's plate during dinner, and then calling them out because their potatos smell funny. And don't get me started on how you try to elbow your bullshit into another topic that has nothing to do with anything you regurgitated there.

my post was tangentially related to the topic.

that's one possible way of interpreting this. be that as it may, the migrant situation is the most acute problem for the EU at present, on top of everything else I mentioned. attempting to curtail fair use doctrine is adding even more fuel to the fire imo.

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

A million people protesting in the streets are impossible to ignore.

As a matter of fact, you'd be surprised. At some point this year a total of approximately one million people protested against the government, and it did nothing.

So, in other words, we'll have to use the deep web like pedophiles, drug dealers and sex trafficers just to look at something as simple as memes? That sounds great.

2 hours ago, Xcalibur said:

the migrant situation is the most acute problem for the EU at present

chartoftheday_10327_migrant_sea_arrivals

@Mordeth sure, there's been a drop-off in arrivals, but that by no means resolves the current tensions.

I don't know how many years the EU has left, but I don't think it's going to last (for the reasons I stated). with that said, even if it's on the brink off collapse, articles 13 & 11 still have ample opportunity to make life difficult for us, unfortunately.

Is EU really the force behind those articles? They're obviously complicit since it's their legislation, but if it was their own agenda instead of the EU just being the vessel, why would they release an anti-corporate pro-human GDPR right before the two pro-corporate anti-human bills? I guess it's a discussion about order versus anarchy, and what's more beneficial. With a rule-enforcing authority like the EU, the corporations can push for abusive legislature like this. Without any rules in place, the corporations can resort to countless dirty tricks. Danger, danger everywhere. But somehow the greedy corporations are always the instigator.

15 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

I don't know how many years the EU has left

Show me on this doll where the EU touched you..?

6 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

it's nothing personal, just the conclusion I've drawn from the evidence.

5 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

it's nothing personal, just the conclusion I've drawn from the evidence.

Proper evidence doesn't usually come from someone's ass.

2 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

Proper evidence doesn't usually come from someone's ass.

I've laid it out properly. if you're not aware of the sovereign debt crisis, the migrant crisis, the structural defects of the EU, and how the populist uprising is in response to much of this, that's not my fault. all this stuff is well documented.

with that said, I've been told that this community is averse to political debates, so I'd rather not continue. by all means, do your own research; I'm far from the only person pointing this out.

Weird, how the EU is somehow this unstable wreck you're painting it to be but, in your words, somehow survived a sovereign debt crisis, a migrant crisis and structural defects crisis and a worldwide fascist surge all at the same time. And, yet it is still here..?  But hey, to quote our UK friends over the last forty or so years: any year now. And then you get to tell me, "I told you so".  So exciting.

1 minute ago, Mordeth said:

Weird, how the EU is somehow this unstable wreck you're painting it to be but, in your words, somehow survived a sovereign debt crisis, a migrant crisis and structural defects crisis and a worldwide fascist surge all at the same time. And, yet it is still here..?  But hey, to quote our UK friends over the last forty or so years: any year now. And then you get to tell me, "I told you so".  So exciting.

populism =/= fascism

the collapse of large institutions takes time, and these systemic pressures have only come to bear recently. the breakup of the EU is a reasonable projection.

46 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

Nowhere because Albania isn't in the EU >:D (for now,i hope we never join.)

Now would be a good time to start putting the source code for the source ports onto /idgames/ for permanent safekeeping..because A11 and A13 are a glaring threat to existing software available, especially those of you putting shit on GitHub and Sourceforge.

2 hours ago, Glaice said:

Now would be a good time to start putting the source code for the source ports onto /idgames/ for permanent safekeeping..because A11 and A13 are a glaring threat to existing software available, especially those of you putting shit on GitHub and Sourceforge.

The articles exclude github and such sites.

5 hours ago, mun said:

The articles exclude github and such sites.

Why would it exclude Github and nothing else? Why even bother putting bullshit that affects open source software in the first place?

On 9/13/2018 at 4:29 PM, scalliano said:

I for one did my part. I did my best to make people aware and contacted my MEP who, granted, did vote against. Outside of rioting in the streets, what else is there? Clearly these arseholes are not listening to us.

What we need is for the tech giants to get the normies on board. How? Block social media for EU IPs for, say, a day. Greet them with a message stating that, in preparation for the EUCD, acces has been blocked. See how they react.

I believe there were street protests in Eastern Europe against ACTA.

1 hour ago, luke11685 said:

I finally know what EPICA means.It's a European Parliament Internet Censorship Act.

image.png.fc900e449004271d284fcef22f704906.png