Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Rebirth MIDI Pack - COMPLETE.

Is there any slots remaining? I'd love to try this MIDI thing again. The speedmidi sessions got me back into music composition. 

Edit: I could do 13 for now. 

While I'm still in hype, I'd like to reserve 26 please. I'll get around to finishing them fairly soon.

On 9/14/2018 at 8:15 AM, Jimmy said:

Can I get a status report as soon as possible please? 

I can, of course.

Sorry, was pretty busy with a lot of stuff irl... probably even more fuckery this time, with all this army crap I trying to fight for save my sanity... anyway, I'm still interested in this but can't be sure that I can contribute anything at this moment. You can give my position to anyone else.

@CWolf I'll clear your slots for now. If you feel able to, feel free to come back and claim a slot again. No pressure.

@NaZa Added you to 26.

@Viscra Maelstrom I want to say this is a good start. It's very repetitive, though (consider how the rhodes piano is just doing octaves for the first minute - there's surely a bit more melody you can cram in here?), and I feel its length could easily be shortened to address this - or you could add some sort of refrain-like section to deviate into every so often to keep the listener's ears engaged, maybe something with heavy-ish guitars like Klem's "Breach of Madness"? The track's definitely not bad. I very much like what the choir is doing past the 3:30 mark, and the ominous space it creates with those major seventh intervals. Good work, just needs a little refinement imho.

Oops the title and intermission tracks are supposed to exist, aren't they.

@TMD Are you wanting to hold onto your slot for the intermission track? Should've mentioned you earlier, d'oh.

hah. i actually extended the length of the track a bit to try and pad it out a bit more, but it looks like i overdid it a bit. any bits in particular you feel i should trim off? adding more melody to the track shouldn't be a problem, i'll look into that.

I think it's mainly the intro and outro that need cutting down just a bit. Most of the stuff in the middle of the track where it picks up in intensity sounds fine to me.

On a related note, just be careful of the notes you're using on the celesta - I don't think they're quite gelling with the chord progression. Same with the big transitional chord at 1:53 - I think it could be tidied up just a bit.

Edited by Jimmy

On 9/14/2018 at 5:15 PM, Jimmy said:

Can I get a status report as soon as possible please? If I don't at least hear from you guys in say a week or so I may end up clearing your slot(s) to make way for any new interest.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll get it out to you in a couple of days.

Much better! Thanks very much for those little tweaks, it helped immensely. Gonna mark this track off as complete now. Cheers again, Viscra. :)

I've been bouncing back and forth between a number of tracks. I'm still trying to get something done for this project, but I'm making pretty erratic progress.

No worries, mate. Keep us posted and let us know whenever you get anything you're ready to showcase, even if it's unfinished. I'd be happy to offer you advice and encouragement, or even help directly with the track if you need a second pair of hands on it.

before this evades my mind again, were there any other edits pending that i was supposed to do to my previous tracks, @Jimmy? IIRC, Rising Colossus was OK'd, but i don't recall if i were supposed to do anything to Sunfall Valley and Freedom is Mine.

on that note, i'd request a name change from "Freedom is Mine" to "Freedom is So Below" - the reasoning being that the track is a cover/mash-up of two Undercode songs: "Freedom (Is Mine)" and "As Above So Below" (or more specifically, the instrumental edits that appear in Serious Sam: The Second Encounter). i just forgot to address that back then.

edit: also, i'm feeling like claiming MAP31 as well, if i may. i have an idea for what to do with it, and want to see if it'll go through or not.

Edited by Viscra Maelstrom

Changed the name of MAP23's track and added your claim to MAP31.

Hmm. I really like Sunfall Valley as-is, though it could maybe do with its intro and the very fast/heavy section being trimmed down a little. The gear changes are great but they've just gotta happen sooner! One thing I learned at uni was a supposed 11-second window that the human brain gets before it desires another musical idea to enter the picture. I don't use this as a strict rule of thumb, necessarily, but it helps to put things into perspective.

Freedom is So Below sounds fine, with the possible exception of the first guitar solo being just a smidgen too loud. It's a really solid track though!

i'll adjust the volume of the tracks a bit overall too, i think. i haven't heard any complaints about the tracks being too loud, but i might as well see it over while i adjust the track length.

track length and repetitiveness are a few bad habits i have when composing, due to being a fan of stuff like techno and hardcore; which tend to be rather long due to the nature of it being dance music, whereas game music should be more engaging, at least in a game like Doom.

On 9/14/2018 at 5:15 PM, Jimmy said:

Can I get a status report as soon as possible please? If I don't at least hear from you guys in say a week or so I may end up clearing your slot(s) to make way for any new interest.

Hi Jimmy,

My track is completed and attached: Swamp.mid.zip

Can I please be credited as Dial-up for Murder? Doomworld won't let me change my screen name for another six months.

Do you still need an menu screen and intermission screen? I'd be happy to give either or both a go if you need.

Cheers,

Tim

@Jimes Thanks for your contribution! You'll be credited under that name, no problem.

The track's really cool. Funky and kind of upbeat. My only suggestion is the New Age synth probably doesn't need to be repeating that C and G as much as it does. I would keep it at the start of the track, then fade it out towards the sections with percussion (0:29). Maybe cross-fade that synth and the percussion? Either way I'm happy to include this.

If you'd like to do more, please do! Per personal request, I've cleared AD_79's claim on MAP22, and TMD's claim on the intermission track, as I've not heard back from him about his claim since my post on the 16th, so those slots are now for the taking.

@Viscra Maelstrom Thanks for these updates! "Freedom"'s first guitar solo's balance is good now. "Sunfall Valley" flows nicer, too. Good stuff!

=====

Underlord (3:48)

The other day I did this track after having a weird dream about the final level of Duke Nukem 3D episode 2 - a beefed-up version of it with a new music track. I wrote the melody down while it was fresh in my mind and soon wound up with this. I feel like it would only fit MAP30 right now, but that's got a Vader track in it. So what I'll do is keep this to the side for now, and if I feel so inclined, later open up the slots that contain Vader tracks for an optional add-on pack, with this being MAP30, and 3, 10, 12, 15 and 32 also being up for grabs.

Alrighty I’ll do an update of the song, I will probably take out the two synths playing C and G in the verse, and replace them with some ambient chords low in the mix. But I will probably leave the C&G in the chorus?

I will reserve the intermission track. Should I do something heavy and up beat similar to doom 1 & 2?

Up to you! Take note of the new INTERPIC that Rebirth has and see if you can capture it musically somehow.

Added your claim.

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Take note of the new INTERPIC that Rebirth has

I've got the original WAD. Has the interpic changed since then? If so where do I find it?

Ah yeah I just meant that Vader did an INTERPIC for the wad, it's not been changed since.