Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danfun64

Eternity Netplay

I know that this source port isn't the preferred choice for netplay...but I wanted to know if it could be done. If I follow the instructions concerning the "-net" parameter, Player One is stuck at "Check Netgame Status. Sending network start info..." while Player Two gets further but is frozen while waiting for P1 to connect.

Again, I know this port isn't necessarily idea for netplay, but is it supposed to work at all?

I've gotten other p2p doom methods to work though, like vanilla doom and dos boom. Just because something is p2p doesn't mean it shouldn't work at all.

I thought I remember reading @Edward850 was working on a C/S version of Eternity, so if that ever comes to pass that'll be leagues above just the below-average P2P methods being used currently. (As he says in the post linked, it's provided only as a formality in its current state. I doubt anyone's used it much.)

P2P is great for local LAN games if your network is not congested. It requires n * (n-1) packets to be sent, for every frame, else lag occurs. Usually this is fine on a LAN, but not really feasible on the web. It'll work, but it will most likely be a very frustrating experience. Note that, for a 2-player game, that's 2 packets per frame, but for a 4-player game, it's 12 packets! So, on the web, if you must try P2P, 2-player is really your best bet. (It's gonna suck, but it'll suck 1/6 as much as 4-player!)