Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sir Hattington

GatEs, a Microsoft windows theme Doom mod (V3)

Hey there, GatEs beta V3 is out and ready for playtesting! GatEs is a Microsoft Windows themed doom wad where you play as Bill Gates and fight off viruses and tech support scammers.

Change log:
Fixed a bug where map03 would not load after beating map02

GatEs: A Microsoft Windows Themed Doom wad by Sir Hattington 2018

GatEs Beta V3.zip

GatEs Cover Art.png

Edited by Sir Hattington

7 minutes ago, Sir Hattington said:

Hey there, GatEs beta V3 is out and ready for playtesting! GatEs is a Microsoft Windows themed doom wad where you play as Bill Gates and fight off viruses and tech support scammers.

Change log:
Fixed a bug where map03 would not load after beating map02

GatEs: A Microsoft Windows Themed Doom wad by Johnny Peterson (Sir Hattington) 2018

GatEs Beta V3.zip

GatEs Cover Art.png

oh dear god why

I'm a computer nerd myself and I do not see any reason for this to exist.

25 minutes ago, Medenutcracka said:

This was appropriately shitty. Appreciated the MSPaint blood fountain out of the tech support dudes.

These are indian tech support scammers. I played this some weeks ago while checked zdoom forums.

Anyway, this microsoft windows themed idea has so much potencial, but it got in unexperienced mapper hands and result is disastrous from flat wolfenstein 3d tier maps with not much gameplay and visuals. Mapper should try to do less ambitious maps to learn main basics of doom mapping like height differences, gameplay planning and so on. 

Are you accepting people to submit maps to your wad? I didn't get one made already but I'll send you maps 5 and 6 later on. Just remember the wads I send are separate from the main deal so remember to have my map wads along with doom2.wad and GatEs beta wad together.

I remembered the old mod in which the Icon of Sin was replaced by yourself-know-who.

And no love for Linux though. Did anyone did Linux theme mod with penguins and stuff?

56 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

And no love for Linux though. Did anyone did Linux theme mod with penguins and stuff?

I know only one mod about penguins for Doom. I know about it just because I did it, lmao

Instead of going into a place, it teleports you to a different place, not a nice way to be introduced to a horde of shitty decorate monsters.

It also reeks of "I don't know how to operate 3d view so i just use topdown map editor" A.K.A. 1994. Maps are so short that you'd be suprised when you think your just starting out in a level it takes you to the intermission. The textures are almost as jarring as FIREBLU mixed with skulls and STARTAN2. It's like the Hall of Tortured Souls from Microsoft Office was made by a memelord from 2015 who just watched vinesauce's windows destruction video and went head first into a shallow pool that is doom mapping. 

I offer to participate in this wad though. The aesthetics are salvagable in my eyes if it weren't for the memes being shoved in your throat and up your ass, vibrating at unbearable levels so you H A V E to acknowledge that "Its a meme dip". 

Characters seemed to be placed there not to serve the maps difficulty and fun but rather to show the player "SEE! ITSA INDIAN SCAMMAH! LOOK AT THE RECYCLE BINZ AND BEEL GATES!!" Its the type of game one brought to middleschool so those group of kids who constantly tell meme jokes to each other huddle over your shoulder and circlejerk one another at the meme game. 

I get it, It's a shitpost. But it's pulling my hair out at how bland it executes it. Its like mock2 but the humor isnt within the bad mapping, but "lol dank maymayz"

Now that I have vented my anger out. Let me offer a way to Improve your mapping. 

. Try to study how good maps get it right. DOOM and DOOM2 may be starters, but think more on strategy and fun rather than "How do i make a joke". That comes after.

. jolt down any ideas on a notepad if your either half asleep at bed, waiting at a long car ride, or having shower thoughts. 

. In terms of jokes, try figuring out a good way to sell a punchline. Indian Scammers could hide in cubicles that . don't even see the player until you destroy the internet, which they all turn active and hunt you down. Sometimes

. Aesthetics bro. Make it happen. I don't know how, maybe get a grasp on composition? Level design relies on art and psychology with a hint of history. So explore these different regions so you get a good feeling for your map

.Learn how to use the 3d viewer. Comparing 3d viewer and 2d topdown is like drawing on a drawpad vs drawing with a mouse. It can really make your maps less flat.