Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zzzornbringer

What's something about Doom you absolutely love?

- weird progression

- surreal atmosphere 

. Exploration

- rpg music in doom levels

- vanilla tricks

- vanilla doom mapping in general

- levels using only stock textures but with a new sky.

I think we already had this topic but whatever, my answer's the same, that being the fact that the games aged beautifully and their community is still very much alive.

I loved Doom long before I ever knew there was an online community or mapping tools for it. My love for Doom was born out of a period of time in which I was completely incompetent at the game (when I was four of five years old and still didn't know how quicksaves worked). My dad introduced me to the series when I as young, the first game I played was either Plutionia or Evilution, I don't remember which. Both games annihilated me on ITYTD. I got better as I aged, but there were many years where I couldn't get past the third map in either WAD in Final Doom. Making my way to Wormhole for the first time was a pretty major event. My dad eventually found his copies of Doom II and Shareware Doom, though his floppies for The Ultimate Doom didn't work so I didn't actually get to play the original Doom until maybe two years ago when I finally got it on Steam.

"Well of Souls" and "Administration Centre" are two deeply nostalgic maps for me.

The community is one of the best, the map layouts especially map08 in doom2, and also the fact that you can work and develop on your own maps. but what makes doom the best as @elend said its really just the community :D

3 hours ago, elend said:

Its community.

Yeah, this. I don't even play that much anymore but many people are still fun to talk to, especially those who got banned from here.

I'd be hard-pressed to name a single aspect of Doom I love over everything else, because in all honesty, the game is an equally great product in its gameplay and presentation alike. That and the community is awesome for still staying strong and pumping out custom content - regardless of the quality - a quarter of a century later.

6 hours ago, Roofi said:

. Exploration

Looks like i'm not alone in this one lol.

9 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

-platforming

And this, a nice break from constant shooting and can be fun.

Shooting an Imp in the face with the standard shotgun at short range has such a weighty, meaty feel to it. The implied sense of recoil, the dying grunt that the Imp makes. No other game I ever played was able to reproduce the original Doom shotgun feel. The closest was probably Duke 3D and Mass Effect 2's Scimitar. Fallout 4's Combat Shotgun also has it's merits - but none are able to capture the unique feel of the Doom original. I know most people prefer Doom 2's Super Shotgun, which is definitely a classic in it's own right, but for me at least, it never feels as satisfying to one-shot an enemy with; probably due to the fact that the increased loudness, coupled with the extended reloading animation detract from the kill.

12 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

My love for Doom was born out of a period of time in which I was completely incompetent at the game (when I was four of five years old and still didn't know how quicksaves worked)

I didn't even know there was such a thing back when I first played Doom (and other games I've played back then), on top of not knowing English, therefore even if I knew it had a save function I wouldn't have known how it worked/how it was accessed because I didn't know what "save" meant :v .

On 9/22/2018 at 1:22 AM, Roofi said:

- weird progression

- surreal atmosphere 

. Exploration

- rpg music in doom levels

- vanilla tricks

- vanilla doom mapping in general

- levels using only stock textures but with a new sky.

Yeah I don't see to many people mention the exploration of Doom. Vanilla Doom was always open to explore and was never linear, And if you saw an open place you could go there. Where as nowadays we lost that feeling of exploring and Video Games seems like interactive movies that are really boring. Either way Doom will always be one of my favorite games of all time. :^)

I love the Super shotgun in Doom II. What about you?

The variety of monsters, each one has its own function and if you mix them you can make very interesting synergies.

The speed of DM gameplay, the sheer number of custom maps, the great feel of moving around and shooting enemies in general.. honestly too much to list without rambling for a long time!

In terms of the actual content of the games: I love the weird melding of disparate elements that the devs were into. Doom was made by nerds who liked Aliens, DnD, and Heavy Metal, and so Doom is a fusion of that. It feels personal in a way a lot of other games just aren't.

Outside of that though, I just love how malleable it is. I've never seen a game with a modding scene as diverse as Doom's, where an artist's own unique style is able to made known so thoroughly while still being identifiably Doom.

I believe I've described it like this before, but I love it because it feels like a very violent game of chess.

There is a time and place for every weapon, (aside from unberserked fists), and every monster. They all have their place, and it can feel like a beautiful ballet at times. It's fluid, yet structured. Choosing the right attack and tactic at the right moment is crucial, and it's something you learn over time.

But then you have a new opponent (map maker), who uses their soldiers differently, and you have to adapt to their tactics. And then a new one, and another one. The base pieces of the game are so well balanced with each other, that people are still making brand new and exciting encounters almost 30 years later.

It requires thought, speed, and adaptability.

The aesthetic/visuals honestly. The simplistic geometry, the textures, the lighting, just all of that I really appreciate.

The music and sound design as well. Still super satisfying and kickass nearly 30 years later.

7 hours ago, Gore said:

I love the Super shotgun in Doom II. What about you?

Me too...Although, I would love to have a Doom2 mod with only one shotgun shooting like the supershotgun, a faster gatling, an assault rifle, a plasma pistol & something else than a BFG...All in all, Doom2 is the best because of playability, the quantity of levels, the monsters, the low requirements in computing power & the enjoyment of creating levels & objects...

Bluegor4.png

WOLF1.png

The gameplay: all the monsters fill a different role, all the weapons have a purpose and are useful depending context, you can move really fast and dodge most incoming attacks which favors a more agressive (and fun IMO) playstyle. The fact that it doesn't try to be realistic, it's a game, not a simulator. Last but not least, the satanic imagery and the music.

PD: And the endless supply of pwads and mods!

7 minutes ago, Some1NamedNate said:

The concept of WADs as well as modding in general.

I'd have to second that one, especially the sheer amount of custom content available for just about anyone you can think of... and some you didn't think of too!

From vanilla levels and DEHackeD patches that even the most staunch purist can enjoy, to Boom-based romps and BEX mods that tweak the game in clever ways and give levels much more toys to play with, and all the way to the crazy-complex ZScript game mods that can turn Doom into something new entirely and sprawling UDMF maps that can go toe-to-toe with the true 3D of Quake's levels and the BUILD Engine's interactive scope, not to mention the ginormous amount of resources available on Realm667 and various other websites that can help kickstart mod development, if not work as perfectly good (if recognizable) assets in of themselves, it's hard to think of any other game that can match the sheer amount of modding content available to use and make than Doom.

I really like how easy it is to mold doom into something that is unique.  Everything from making maps to various settings, as long as you are willing to put in the legwork, you can change something about the game.  Even with vanilla monsters maps can be so different even with vanilla compatibility,  and custom monsters can extend that further. 

2 hours ago, Jello said:

I believe I've described it like this before, but I love it because it feels like a very violent game of chess.

There is a time and place for every weapon, (aside from unberserked fists), and every monster. They all have their place, and it can feel like a beautiful ballet at times. It's fluid, yet structured. Choosing the right attack and tactic at the right moment is crucial, and it's something you learn over time.

But then you have a new opponent (map maker), who uses their soldiers differently, and you have to adapt to their tactics. And then a new one, and another one. The base pieces of the game are so well balanced with each other, that people are still making brand new and exciting encounters almost 30 years later.

It requires thought, speed, and adaptability.

Pretty much this. I call it the "Doom dance". It's muscle memory at this point. "OK so that fireball sounded like it was x units away so I have about three seconds before I need to move from my current spot so that gives me time to shoot this guy and..."

That I can play on linux without to many other dependencies and the amount of great wads out there can keep me occupied for decades, each wad has its own feel. 

The multiplayer hooked me at first because I could still play with my friends after school on a Pentium 2  on dial up, I couldn't do that on counter strike :P