Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord Snot

Recommendations for a good, balanced megawad

9 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

Demonfear

Give it a few days and there will be a much better option available.

5 minutes ago, Capellan said:

I reckon it might.  :)

curse your self-promotion >:(

kidding of course, whatever this chicanery is i'm too excited, demonfear is a favorite of mine

1 hour ago, bioshockfan90 said:

demonfear is a favorite of mine

I'm glad you like it, but 20+ years later, all I see is the flaws :)

Thanks for the absolute tonne of recommendations guys. If I looked at everything mentioned in these threads I'd still be playing Doom by Christmas 2021 :p

I'd have replied earlier (yesterday) but there seems to be a post limit, which I went over.

I've taken a look at Doom The Way iD Did It, along with Memento Mori - and I'm going to concentrate on these two, plus Plutonia and Scythe for now. After that I'll check out the others in the list. Have to say that the level design on Memento Mori is superb in terms of pure aesthetics, incredible attention to detail, light sourcing and atmosphere. Those guys really knew what they were doing.

Dawn of the Dead

No Sleep for the Dead

Doom 2 The Way ID Did - some maps try to mess with you like the worst parts of Doom 2 though.

Doom Core

Reverie

The Darkening I and II  (not megawads but very good and fairly easy)

Doom the Way Id Did/Doom2 the Way Id Did

Marswar

2002ADO

TVR

Slightly OFF, but can anyone recommend me scripted maps like Redemption of the Slain? I mean large maps with continuous small maps inside with some scripted sequences between the mini maps, with music change, some arena style gameplay etc... probably only GZDoom compatible levels can come close.

EDIT: AFAIK Slayer Chronicles are somewhat similar in style, but there were some criticism towards it.

49 minutes ago, Nancsi said:

Slightly OFF, but can anyone recommend me scripted maps like Redemption of the Slain? I mean large maps with continuous small maps inside with some scripted sequences between the mini maps, with music change, some arena style gameplay etc... probably only GZDoom compatible levels can come close.

EDIT: AFAIK Slayer Chronicles are somewhat similar in style, but there were some criticism towards it.

Shadows of the Nightmare Realm, Umbra of Fate, Freaky Panties - all are done for gzdoom port. Also, they are done by same author @YukiRaven ;)

2 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Shadows of the Nightmare Realm, Umbra of Fate, Freaky Panties - all are done for gzdoom port. Also, they are done by same author @YukiRaven ;)

Thanks!

@Nancsi - If you go here, you'll find Coils of the Twisted Tale, Switchback and For The Hell Of It. All three of those by me are older ZDoom levels that have multiple stages. The first is 10 ZDoom mini-maps that you progress through, with each having it's own music and theme. The second is a remake of three of my very old maps in one (played in reverse for added interest) which doesn't switch music between sections, but does use scripting. The last one is pretty unusual, as Doom maps go, but uses quite heavy scripting and features a music change when going between the second and third section.

@Lord Snot - I was very partial to Mini-Level MegaWAD, although looking back at my review, you may prefer a lower difficulty.