Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Doomslayer looks like the Predator?

1398582289_Screenshot(23).png.afee1c5a22e45a49cc836fffe4fc1ffa.png

That shoulder-cannon and melee blade explains everything. Now I guess all he needs is an eye laser(honestly not ripping off another franchise).

Just now, The Mysterious Moustachio said:

A slap in the face to the marine who went around crop-topped and was seemingly based on Ash Williams.

A slap in the face of the marine who waged war against an army of demons who DARED to kill his pet rabbit.

@Ex Oblivione Well, when you put it that way... haha

EDIT: I want to be clear when I say that I really do see more of a resemblance between Ash Williams and Doom Slayer than RoboCop. I mean, don't get me wrong, Doom Slayer as we know him is built-up in many ways similar to RoboCop, but remember that he started as a (somewhat) scared, clueless survivor who slowly became so used to the madness in his life that he became mad (much like Ash from Evil Dead).

EDIT EDIT: Also, to be on-topic, having recently watched Predator, I think the influence is welcome mostly because they have such clear and appealing gameplay mechanics attached to it. Also, has anyone else noticed the blade icon in the lower right corner of the HUD in the gameplay demo? Perhaps, the player will find the arm blade at some point throughout the game (much like with the Delta-V jump boots).

Edited by The Mysterious Moustachio

He looks cool regardless of who influenced who.  OG Doomguy's invisibility power-up was based off the predator anyway.

A shitload of Doom's original aesthetic was influenced by Aliens in the first place. About time they integrated something from the other half of AVP.

Nah, if anything it looks like a 15 year old deviant art fan drawing.

Also where is the belly button.

Also now i want a mod where you play D16/Eternal as the Predator.

Let's see, his wrist blade only consists of one blade and it's significantly bigger. His shoulder cannon is green (not black/grey and it's not grooved) and he doesn't have that fishnet covering his torso.

Nor does he have alien dreadlocks.

So no, I wouldn't say he looks like the Predator, but he seems he liked the Predator's choice of weapons and decided to modify the Praetor suit to have weapons inspired by the Predator.

The revenants have shoulder cannons too. Which might have been inspired by Predator originally. Anyone else think the blade could easily become a compact chainsaw? Then it can run on argent / tesla battery instead of gasoline and completely ruin any semblance of play balance. 

On 9/5/2018 at 6:44 PM, D88M said:

Nah, if anything it looks like a 15 year old deviant art fan drawing.

Also where is the belly button.

Also now i want a mod where you play D16/Eternal as the Predator.

What 15 year-old can illustrate on that level?

3 hours ago, MrGlide said:

You know the shoulder cannon sure does remind me of brutal Doom, what do you guys think?

Yeah, it does for me aswell. I think the weapon was the Revenant shoulder cannons IIRC.

Reminds me more of the marines' shoulder lamps in Aliens than anything else. It seems too small to have any weapon functionality.

Around 13:20 the player uses it to fire Rockets at enemies, yeah I think it's a Shoulder cannon, except it doesn't occupy a separate weapon slot like the Brutal Doom version does, probably inspired by it.

Mind you, if when modifying combat armour the designer wishes to give the wearer the ability to shoot flames or rockets while retaining the use of both hands for other, more standard weapons, then what locations would really make sense from a design and engineering perspective other than the shoulders?