Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phobus

[ZDoom] Persephone - The Best of Phobus vol. 2

Download Persephone volume 2

(Requires ZDoom 2.8.1 Final or later child ports)

ypTsQTY.png

Here's another 10 maps I've compiled from my extensive history. If you load up Volume 1 first, you get to play both together, one episode after the other, which is dead convenient. Here's some screenshots to entice you in:

CILUw6L.png

8tw7LMa.png

TzvmVyX.png

I wish I could host both volumes with Zandronum and play them both with a friend. Is there any way to get the first wad to work with Zandronum? (I know I saw the other thread where another person was having the same problem but I didn't know if it could be resolved)

12 hours ago, NightmareZer0 said:

I wish I could host both volumes with Zandronum and play them both with a friend. Is there any way to get the first wad to work with Zandronum? (I know I saw the other thread where another person was having the same problem but I didn't know if it could be resolved)

I'm assuming volume 2 works with Zandronum then, from your post? I didn't test it, as some of the maps in these two sets never had any multi-player capability to begin with. In Volume 1 I'm fairly certain neither Big Woodchip or Centurion Night even have the player starts. On the port compatibility front, I think the problem is in how I defined the Christmas Doom enemies for Twisted Joke - they use the standard Spawn IDs +2000, which the current Zandronum code base doesn't support.

My problem with fixing that (which is certainly doable with enough re-scripting of Twisted Joke) is that I don't know what else I did to get them all working together and working in ZDoom 2.8.1 that isn't compatible with Zandronum. It could end up being a bit of a can of worms.

I've put a bit of time into this compilation process. There's a few minor bug fixes and tweaks from the individual Volumes, but if you've already got both, the only thing this adds is convenience, really:

Download Persephone (combined Volumes 1 and 2 into one .WAD)

Good thing I didn't get far into Persephone Vol. 1 last night. :P

Downloading now. <3

Cool - let me know how you get on! I appreciate you're using gameplay mods, so your experience won't be the usual one, but any feedback will be welcome.

@Phobus   Will there be a(n) (abbreviated) Vol. 3? You have a few more nice looking levels I can find (Community Chest 3 and ZPack stick out most to me ATM but at least 2-3 other). :D

@FrancisT18 - The only thing delaying Vol. 3 is that I want to finish up a map (Warpzone 2, which is a bit of a compilation map in itself) as a bonus map, but it's been languishing unfinished for a couple of years. Otherwise I've got nine maps good to go already. There's Community Chest maps (CC3M18, CC4M07 and CC4M13), a ZPack map (E1M2), Loathsome Cleft, the best two Tiny Pack maps and the better map from MAYhem 2015 in there, plus a re-textured BtSX submission that I don't think will be in E3 whenever that comes out. As four of the maps use CC4-tex, it made sense to have them all in the same volume.

EDIT: Although, now that I think about it, LEDGE-end may well be a nice little map, but it might be a bit too tiny. Perhaps I should combine all of Tiny Pack 1 together as a little adventure map...

4 hours ago, Phobus said:

Cool - let me know how you get on! I appreciate you're using gameplay mods, so your experience won't be the usual one, but any feedback will be welcome.

I got along pretty good. :P Got my ass handed to me a few times but that's because I used Colorful Hell so I was more or less asking for my ass to get kicked (even when using Dakka, which is a pretty OP weapon mod; not as OP as Russian Overkill but still pretty OP).

Dakka didn't play nice with a couple of levels though (I expected this after reading the text file). In Twisted Joke, there's a conflict between the ammo boxes the map provides and what's defined by Dakka, which wouldn't give ammo to the Dakka weapons. Also, some of the weapons didn't get replaced by their Dakka equivalents so I ended up getting the original Rocket Launcher and Plasma Rifle from Doom alongside the Dakka arsenal. However, since it was a secret level I don't think it's that big a deal. Also, because I set Dakka up so that my pistols have infinite ammo, I wasn't really at any sort of a combat disadvantage.

Also I couldn't figure out how to get past the purple gates in Water Under the Bridge. :P I could open purple doors but for some reason the purple gates wouldn't let me pass. I don't know if that was because Dakka and/or Colorful Hell has scripts that conflict with that level or if I was just directionally challenged and missed switches (the bright colors did make navigation and telling where to go kind of difficult for me).

All in all, I really enjoyed it. I love that you put all of these together into one package. If you do release a volume 3, I look forward to playing that as well. I've always enjoyed your maps and I look forward to your future releases. c:

49 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

@PhobusAnd I forgot, but you also have a map in TNT2 (20, I think).

It was changed a fair bit from what I submitted, so I'd always leave this out. Not so extensively as to be unrecognisable, mind, but it's definitely different. Switchback might actually be a good shout if I'm still not getting anywhere with Warpzone 2, though!

@Nems - Twisted Joke uses quite a lot of Decorate replacements to keep hold of the Christmas graphics... I have to admit I forgot that you'd lose bullet ammo in that as well. In my mind, the Rocket Launcher being made festive was fixing a weapon mod incompatibility (you need it to blow up a wall at one point), but I guess the balance is a big one. As for Water Under The Bridge... I actually forgot that I included a training map in Virus to explain that if you land on the big white cylinder, it's effectively a giant push button. Dakka won't have been messing with any scripts, it's just unusual progression. My bad! Good thing that's at the end of the volume...

Thanks for the feedback - I'm glad you had a decent time of it.

@Phobus Switchback or Small Dark Twisted Computer Lab are probably equally good from a peak. Escalation I could be an opener perhaps. Turns out I see quite a few ways you could make this even be made 10 or 11 maps - even without Warpzone 2.

You've got a good point there, really. There's also the added point of why I should be making extra maps for a "best of"...

I'll alter my plans a bit and leave Warpzone 2 as a separate project so that Persephone doesn't stagnate along with it. I'll probably have something in the next week or so...