Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

Eternal TAS demos

4shockblast said:

Slightly confused about that ending. You don't seem to be using your leftover cell ammo and rockets.

Only hitscan gets through (also the other way round, see how the arachnotron misses me all the time?). One caco went through the barrier very close, so a rocket launcher was used.

vdgg said:

Only hitscan gets through (also the other way round, see how the arachnotron misses me all the time?). One caco went through the barrier very close, so a rocket launcher was used.

I tried it in PrBoom+ cl2, and I was able to get on the ledge right before the exit linedef and shoot downward. It's a bit hard to stay on it non-TAS, but, unless I'm missing something here, it should be possible in TAS to stay on the ledge and shoot both rockets and plasma down.

No, it's me missing something here. Nicely found!

Edit: here's an illustration of what's allowed. Putting as middle texture BLAKWAL2 in linedefs 4734 4778 4773 4732 4779 gets you the following: [PIC]. Not enough for imps, but may reach the arachnotron and everything that moves in the streets.

Amended ending and attaching the demo in 6:41 (the zip includes the old demo as well). After all, it didn't cost much time to alter the ending. Now it's in the ultra non-intuitional 4shockblast style. Big thanks!

et25x641.zip

vdgg said:

MAP26: 7:05

wow first tas from you I have ever seen, anfd i'm definitely gonna watch more. amazing job

Sorry to disappoint, I'm not going to build MAP24 demo, seems like frustration 95%, fun 5%. Not a bad map, just wandering monsters alert...

Awesome idea with the jump.

Hm, any chance of redoing 1-3? Andy's demos there are rather ancient.

My first thought when I read your question was "why me?". Yes, why not, the awesome quality starts with second half of MAP04 Max and MAP01 and MAP02 seem easy, but it probably won't be me redoing them.

I'm clearly losing interest in "building" stuff, one reason I finished MAP22 is extra motivation - curiosity (as I wrote in the .txt) and another is that I discovered a month ago that the beginning had already been built by me before, for me it was perfect, and it's easier to continue something than start from scratch.

4shockblast, you really should try these ;) With a few limiting rules, like no sharp turns (and reasonable exceptions to theses rules), I find it easier than if I had absolute freedom. The remaining maps are mostly boring for me, but at least 19,20,31 are awesome.

Nice-looking demo.

I wouldn't have realized there were screw-ups if you hadn't mentioned them in the txt - I would have just assumed that you determined that those places where you had to wait for monsters were unavoidable without greater time-losses elsewhere. At least, to a casual observer, they are not obviously forgotten monsters, and it doesn't ruin the demo aesthetically.

Is it just me, or is there something remarkably satisfying about using an arch-vile's blast at the same time as killing it? It's like you've taken from it everything it has to offer.

vdgg said:

4shockblast, you really should try these ;) With a few limiting rules, like no sharp turns (and reasonable exceptions to theses rules), I find it easier than if I had absolute freedom. The remaining maps are mostly boring for me, but at least 19,20,31 are awesome.

Not too familiar with Eternal, and I haven't done many built max TASes, but I'll think about it. :P

There are still tons of things I want to speedrun, so it has been sort of difficult for me to concentrate on a single run.

Grazza said:

Is it just me, or is there something remarkably satisfying about using an arch-vile's blast at the same time as killing it? It's like you've taken from it everything it has to offer.

heh that part was awesome, vdgg's just a womanizer.

vdgg said:

The remaining maps are mostly boring for me, but at least 19,20,31 are awesome.

Definitely looking forward to those as well. Hopefully the wandering imps in the teleporting platforms part in 19 don't take forever to kill.

Cool to see these TAS maxes continued. Map 20 was particularly entertaining to watch, always fun to see good damage RNG in TAS maxdemos. Slight copy-pasting error in the textfile, though, your time is written as 3:06. :P

Yeah, I haven't done too much TAS in general recently, aside from the random FTH UV-Speed D2ALL tangent (and that wasn't too serious, heh). Been busy with perdgate demo pack and Scythe demos. My next TAS will likely be perdgate D2ALL UV-Speed or maybe something for Scythe.

Checked out 20 and it was great. Your tas demos are actually much easier on my stomach than non-tas (FDAs are the worst for that). Also wtf, can't believe it's been almost a year since the last demo.

One thing I should've probably included in the .txt: building MAP20 was surprisingly fun. Well, most of it.

One thing I regret now is not doing the caco swarm properly, then 5-10 seconds of doing nothing would add an extra "wow" effect, I think.

OK now onto MAP19. Any suggestions how to handle this? UV Speed route, UV Max route, another route, any unknown tricks? I'm getting familiar with this and have absolutely no idea what to do.

In UV Max you seem to trigger everything ASAP, good thing. You kill monsters en route, collect ammo (have > 30 rockets before the first arch-vile), this can be handy. Plasma rifle is useless, only to be used on cyber.

Another idea is to go UV Speed + provoking infights, then for a few minutes clear the survivors in the entire map and register secrets. No idea if this will be faster or slower, surely different. Easy to forget to trigger something, but seems more "watchable".

I'm sure whatever method you choose will be fun to watch. I haven't played eternall in a while and totally forgot about a few parts in map20 when watching your demo. Don't really have any suggestions for 19, but wondering if it's possible to make the cyber fight a little more interesting and if those wandering imps down below the yellow key platforms can be killed quickly.

I'm about to make the decision: red key first, blue key second. Will just check if everything triggers properly. In UV Max you got blue key first, but from the rocket launcher the red key is very close, I see no harm in getting it first. And yes, it's a Couleur map, no matter what I choose, I will never be sure if fastest paths are available.

On 10/2/2018 at 11:49 PM, vdgg said:

MAP17: 2:58

et17x258.zip

Very nice, vdgg.  Just out of curiosity: would building a TAS without taking any damage (i.e. reality) be possible (of course, damaging floors might be a problem) or would it be just too difficult/enervating?

3 minutes ago, Dingir said:

Very nice, vdgg.  Just out of curiosity: would building a TAS without taking any damage (i.e. reality) be possible (of course, damaging floors might be a problem) or would it be just too difficult/enervating?

Not taking damage is almost always possible, but with many hitscanners it normally means taking it slower.

Such demos exist, Andy's MAP11 demo for darken2 or my own MAP28 demo for eternal. In case of the latter I just realized that I didn't take any damage until the invulnerability, so I could avoid taking damage until the end, and it was maybe 5% more difficult than building it without this restriction