Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

Announcing JeuTool

I like how you can extract a whole WAD and it is smart enough to convert the graphics lumps to PNGs, sounds to WAV, maps to individual wad files, etc.

Can it change texture/flat names in map by script/batch where they specified in list? Because I've using for this old DOS utility Dm2Conv and didn't found alternatives. Doing this manually in GZDoomBuilder is a pain on maps with "unknown" textures all over the place.

Is it "jeu" as in the French word for game? At first I thought it was J. Editing Utilities, following the model of DEU, and wondered what the J was standing for, but the pronunciation note changed my mind on that.

like the TITLE screen of Heretic and Hexen, which can only be detected by their size (e.g. 320*200) or their name (e.g. STRTBOT).

Kind of unclear what you mean here exactly. All titlescreens are 320x200, including Doom's, so I'm not sure why singling out Heretic and Hexen. STRTBOT is part of Strife's loading screen. Heretic's loading screen is an ANSI screen like ENDOOM; while Hexen's loading screen is a 640x480 16-color image.

translations/
This directory is a feature of the Eternity source port

Also Hexen. The player translations are defined by 256-byte lumps.

@riderr3: SLADE can do that, kinda.

This is pretty cool. The name might be a little unfortunate though to English speakers, it reads like it might be "Jew Tool" -- also it kind of implies (to me) being written in Java, though it's actually Go. Go is superior to C in every way... especially compared to the DeuTex code ;)

Technical note: would you consider changing file name handling to be all-lowercase instead of uppercase? Perhaps this is an intentional decision, the WAD format isn't explicitly case-sensitive, so I believe it's feasible to store two lumps with only differing case in the name, though I'd find it unusual and doubt anyone has exploited that (correct me if I'm wrong!).

Case-sensitive lump names are actually used by SRB2, AFAIK. At least I remember that in SLADE, the option to allow lower-case characters in lump names was requested for this game.

7 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Can it change texture/flat names in map by script/batch where they specified in list? Because I've using for this old DOS utility Dm2Conv and didn't found alternatives.

No, this tool does not look at or modify the contents of maps.

7 hours ago, Gez said:

Is it "jeu" as in the French word for game?

Yes.  I should mention that in the readme.

Kind of unclear what you mean here exactly. All titlescreens are 320x200, including Doom's, so I'm not sure why singling out Heretic and Hexen. STRTBOT is part of Strife's loading screen

The TITLE lump in Heretic and Hexen are just 320x200 raw pixels, which is different than most other DOOM graphics which use the patch format.  That's what I'm trying to explain here, with some examples, but I will try to make it clearer.

7 hours ago, Gez said:

translations/
This directory is a feature of the Eternity source port

Also Hexen. The player translations are defined by 256-byte lumps

Hexen does not use T_START..T_END markers for its translation lumps though.  I have reworked that part of the manual to be clearer.

5 hours ago, chungy said:

This is pretty cool. The name might be a little unfortunate though to English speakers, it reads like it might be "Jew Tool"

Yeah the name could be read that way.  So far I haven't been able to come up with a better name (and the other candidate "ajpack" was kinda dull), but the jeu prefix has grown on me.

5 hours ago, chungy said:

Technical note: would you consider changing file name handling to be all-lowercase instead of uppercase? Perhaps this is an intentional decision, the WAD format isn't explicitly case-sensitive

I think it is DeuTex which is odd here, because inside a wad file the lump names are always uppercase, but DeuTex converts to lowercase when saving to files.

Also there is a --lower option which will save files using lowercase, if that is what you prefer.  When building wads, JeuTool does not care, it will convert to uppercase lump names.

8 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I'm not sure I understand what exactly this program does.

Feel free to ask questions.

You can extract the lumps of a wad file into a bunch of separate files sorted in a few directories, and then you can create a new wad file from the content of said directories.

Basically it's useful if you want to edit lumps separately and individually instead of using something like SLADE to edit them in their archive. This is especially useful when you want to use external tools that can't handle WAD files gracefully or can't be meaningfully integrated in a wad editor. A good example would be if you want to use some versioning software like Git/Mercurial/etc. for your project, so that each individual lump's history is tracked separately.

If you still don't get it, then you can probably assume you won't need it.

8 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Would this be useful say, for compiling multiple disparate resources i.e. a texture wad + a sprite wad?

Yes. A WAD file is simply a container, used to store multiple files within a file. In that sense, it's like a folder, with some restrictions. It's very similar to ZIP files, without the compression.

If I understand correctly, JeuTool is designed to both extract all of the contained files, into real folders, and/or consolidate individual files back into a WAD file. Good stuff.