Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Do People Really Like Classic Doom For What It Is?

People Playing Doom With or Without Mods  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Play Classic Doom With Mods or On Its Own?

• With Mods
    • Without Mods
    • Both

I remember the first time playing Doom back in 1993, I was blown away by it. My brother had picked up a copy of the game sometime around Christmas and installed it on the computer. Been hooked on the series ever since! Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Doom 64/PSX, Doom 3/Roe/Doom 2016 --- They have all earned a special place in my heart. I can return to these games time and time again and always be blown away.

I predominantly play classic vanilla Doom. I could never really get into any mods, they just don't seem to hold me for too long. I'm not really sure why.

I've been over playing Doom with mods or custom WADs for quite some time now.  I'm perfectly content with playing vanilla Doom 2. 

To people who make think this is a really, really dumb question at first, I believe this is attempting to ask "do you prefer classic doom weapons or modded weapons", not simply "do you like doom1/doom2". The wording in the actual thread title is absolutely awful. Obviously some of you gathered this but still, it's a bit misleading on first glance.

I like to play with classic weapons 4 times outta 5, but I'm certainly not anti-mods or whatever.

Going off of the title, yes I love classic Doom and Doom II.

Going off of Doomkid's comment which is probably what you meant, I usually play with wads. However I still like the original Doom weapons.

If I revisit the IWADs I usually do so with a mod, just so things don't get too stale after replaying them for the 1000th time. However, when it comes to PWADs, I never ever play them with mods unless the author specifically says "play this with x mod".

I personally do not like mods that change the gameplay experience, so i marked "without mods". I still enjoy vanilla doom and various wads

On 9/29/2018 at 8:39 AM, Nine Inch Heels said:

I think it depends a lot on how you define mod, or rather where you draw the line.

Features that come with source ports already venture into modding the way people can play classic doom by adding things like jumping and free-aim etc, but also wider field of view, and HUDs which display more information than id gave originally. Even though it might seem like a stretch at first, one could argue that most people play classic doom modded at least slightly for that reason alone.

This is the first thing i thought of when i saw the title of this thread. I'm pretty sure that most people change some options in their source port of choice & that's typically fine. But i do see your point. Adding free-aim & having jumping/crouching on can break the way older maps play (imo). So i never use it unless it's specified. I do use the added options that add more info to the map such as number of monsters, number of items, ect. though.

I tend to prefer to play classic Doom well...classic or vanilla as it's known. I don't care too much for mods. I didn't get to play Doom when it was brand new & extremely popular. So when i do play Doom i actually really enjoy playing it vanilla. I just generally love the way it looks/plays. No jumping/crouching; no crosshair; no mouse-look (aka free-aim), ect. Doom is a simple game to play yet a difficult game to master. But i can totally understand the fact that people do get tired of playing the game the same way & that's where mod's come into play which is totally fine.

I'm currently using PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 & GZDoom 3.5.1 for ZDoom related WADs. I voted for "without mods". Once in a great while i will use some sort of mod (mainly an enhancement such as Smooth Doom) but it has been quite a while since i've used any mod (not to mention it's not really a game changing type of mod) but in general i don't use mods.

TL;DR - I play classic Doom without mods

Edited by CyberDreams : Spelling Mistakes

What is this "Doom" you speak of and why would we care about it on a site with a maulotaur next to its logo?

On 9/29/2018 at 12:37 PM, Scotty said:

What a stupid question.

Is it? If all I had to play was the original vanilla campaigns and games I would have lost interest years ago.

Yes classic Doom was cool for a long time but now it's design is just outdated. Custom level packs and mods is what has kept this game alive for all these years. The biggest problem I have with vanilla Doom is the outdated level design. I just don't feel the crude and random level design has aged very well. I want my levels to look like something. This is why games like Duke 3D have aged considerably better than say, Doom 2 for example.

13 hours ago, Space Marinara said:

The wording has completely changed as well. It originally implied that the OP either has never played Doom or dislikes it completely.

No, I asked if other people liked Doom for what it is or for its mods. I played classic Doom a lot.

Yeah, I do like classic Doom for what it is, the fancy lightning GZDoom offers is as far as "customization" or modding goes for me.

But anyway, 98% of the time I keep it vanilla.

I've always liked Doom. Mods were what made me fall in love with it, but what I play nowadays depends on my mood. Sometimes I want something oldschool, other times I wanna play something new, y'know.

28 minutes ago, Space Marinara said:

Sure you did. In the most obscure way possible and which passive-aggressively (but more overt than your main point) demoted anyone who still played vanilla.

By the way, have we heard your stance on the matter?

Now you misunderstood what I meant. I didn't bash anyone for playing the game without mods.

Seems like a negative connotation with the use of the word "really" in the question, as if you were asking "Do you really still like that old POS?" That's like walking up to someone, pointing at their head, and asking "Do you really like that haircut, Slim?".

Yes, we like it, and, yes, you're weird (and wrong) for not liking it, ok? Heh. :)

You have to appreciate classic Doom for what it is. If it wasn't for the awesome level design the ID team made then, Doom wouldnt have such an awesome modding community. It also helps that the source code is out.... But either way the Doom ForeFathers helped lay the groundwork for awesome level designs and Mods. And gives a sense of good replayability that most games today lack in.

9 hours ago, Space Marinara said:

I said you were passive-aggressive. You were mincing words to put distance between yourself and vanilla players. And now you're putting words in my mouth. There's really no sense in arguing semantics anymore as you've long deleted the original post and few here even saw it.

My reply was for the first thing you said on that post, that I demoted those who still play vanilla. I wasn't demoting anyone. See the topic first started as a thought about whether some players actually like Doom or just enjoy it for the mods and dislike the vanilla gameplay. When source ports came out, the games got a lot of love. I now wonder, what if those source ports never came out or if they didn't have modding capabilities, would Doom still get a lot of love? I was just wondering. It's like a what if scenario.

I wasn't even being aggressive, I just asked a question about players liking Doom. You and a few others suggested that I should make it a poll, and I did. I'm sorry about the argument.

Edited by The-Heretic-Assassin

2 hours ago, MetalDoom1225 said:

You have to appreciate classic Doom for what it is. If it wasn't for the awesome level design the ID team made then, Doom wouldnt have such an awesome modding community. It also helps that the source code is out.... But either way the Doom ForeFathers helped lay the groundwork for awesome level designs and Mods. And gives a sense of good replayability that most games today lack in.

Well it wasn't supposed to be negative. ^_^

hey my taste in Doom is always vanilla-centric

and frankly I prefer the naive gameplay of the early levels to some more modern stuff

but I still do check out the new level packs because that's where most of the great artistry lies

and even if I can't keep up with the gameplay I know there are lots of great players I can watch demonstrate them as intended!

it takes a tasteful modder to get me to play GZDoom stuff

Xaser can, Shadowman can too

Lilith was brilliant and different

the mods that try to amp up graphics and extremity and "metal feeling" lose me almost immediately

and it's no disrespect to the people who make these things but I always say I'm more into pioneers than polishers

what I like from mods is some subtle dehacked work
Magnolia and this year's Mayhem packs are exciting for that reason

Zekhmet, the resource pack I created, partially hinges on dehacked oddities

if anyone agrees generally with this stance then search the forums for "Zekhmet" and build me a map, the project is still open o:)

I don't use game play mods, unless they are built into a map set. The control scheme and other alterations that come with GZDoom (and ZDoom prior to that) are all I need to keep this game I've been playing for about 25 years still playable. Free look, non-infinite heights and having "always run" on take the archaic crap out and leave you a very solid engine for doing level design in.

I don't use gameplay mods, but I do use a pistol starter mod to save a little time typing idclev ## everytime starting a new level.

On Monday, October 01, 2018 at 2:20 PM, reptc said:

I don't use gameplay mods, but I do use a pistol starter mod to save a little time typing idclev ## everytime starting a new level.

You like starting with the pistol on every map?