Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khalil4life

What is Hell ?

You read the question, i still don't understand what is the world we call Hell in Doom, is it really Hell that we know from religions ? or is it an Alien world named Hell because of its brutal nature ?

Did any developer revealed something about it or told us it's story or anything ?

I hope you can help me with these questions

Considering a few level names are biblical, the denizens of the realm are called demons and lead by the icon of sin (not to mention the inverted crosses and pentagrams despite neither of those things being connected to satanism irl but I digress) I would say it is the abrahamic hell. 

EDIT. 

It also questions where bad people will go when they die now at the end of Doom2. 

Just now, Tompig said:

Considering a few level names are biblical, the denizens of the realm are called demons and lead by the icon of sin (not to mention the inverted crosses and pentagrams despite neither of those things being connected to satanism irl but I digress) I would say it is the abrahamic hell. 

EDIT. 

It also questions where bad people will go when they die now at the end of Doom2. 

Well i guess this is enough for me, it might be both an Alian world and Hell but yeah, it's more likely that it is an Abrahamic Hell

Thanks for your help

Just now, Kore said:

They probably didn't put much thought in it. It just sounds cool.

Yup, i understand that, a game with messed up creatures to fight in messed up world ? it seems cool, i just wanted to know what's exactly that messed up world and i think i got my answer

Thanks for your reply

The abrahamic hell itself could be just another dimension in the possibly infinite sea of possible dimensions that happens to be the home to very evil entities that humans call demons. In theory it could even overlap our dimension as a parallel universe where atoms are vibrating on a different frequency making invisible to us, even though overlapping our reality. Teleporting from Earth to Hell could mean that the teleport pads actually are in the same physical location, and it's just a teleport to that other dimension or reality that is overlapping ours. Just an interesting thought, hehe.

I always admired Doom for the way they didn't try to make out it was a Hell-like planet or an alternative dimension or anything like that.  It's just straight up Real Proper Hell.  Biblical references and all.  

To be serious though, I really don't know. I guess it's just id Software's own depiction of hell (though they did call it an "alien invasion" in one of the text screens in Doom 2). I actually have a theory that the Icon of Sin is Satan himself.

I never really thought about that personally, but I always found the theme cool and fits the game. Being a very imaginative location in many contexts, it gives plenty of different locations within the game, which is awesome.

I would think that hell is unique for everyone. It is the most unimaginable, most terrible place you can go. It is custom-tailored to your personality and experience, to be the most horrible, frightening, painful, and uncomfortable experience possible.

Hell is place where you are 8 hours each day...

Hell is concert where all people have phone above their head...

hell is a place where bad people end up being tortured and torn apart for eternity.

Hell is place which everyone imagined differently and everyone have their own vision of hell but no one know how this place looks like till he die.

As the thread derails into replies that haven't read the OP, I'll just remind you that there's no reason to believe in the existence of hell.

3 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

As the thread derails into replies that haven't read the OP, I'll just remind you that there's no reason to believe in the existence of hell.

has stabilized the humanity in part

I know people who stop because they think that if they do something bad they will go to hell

The ideas of hell have sort of changed a little as Doom has had its multiple iterations, but the basic premise is that it is home to the demons that are attempting to destroy earth. Ultimate Doom has a lot of biblical references, indicating that it may be the hell talked about in Christianity. Doom 3's is much more cold and clean, but suggests that it is a place where demons are literally birthed (i.e. that big huge pit at the end where the cyberdemon is). From what I can tell with Doom 4, it suggests that hell has a much further reach than just a simple portal- it can be anywhere and everywhere. 

I always pictured Doom Hell as actual Hell we know from religion. However, my interpretation is that the text screens in Doom and Doom 2 are from the perspective of Doomguy and that Hell is actually infinite. UAC managed to open up a portal to one specific section of Hell and the demons of that section invaded. When Doomguy destroyed hell by killing IoS at the end of Doom 2, he only destroyed a small fraction of Hell. The rest of it is just waiting to come out.

I think it's just a realm...

33 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

I know people who stop because they think that if they do something bad they will go to hell

Interesting revelation, chosen one...

One interesting thing about Doom 1/2 hell that I never quite understood (but I’m also glad they didn’t try to explain) is what exactly is going on with the tech/hell fusion motifs that pop up everywhere. It’s even right there in the Doom logo—pseudo-occult hieroglyphs fading into wires and electronics. I get that when hellspawn invade the UAC facilities they ended up corrupting the personnel and tech there—but apparently the whole invasion was masterminded by a mechanized demon brain, and the other big bad is a cybernetically enhanced super-demon? Where did they come from? And what does hell really need human tech for anyways since they have all the powers of the dark arts?

Like I said, though, I’m sorta glad OG Doom never tried to explain that in any detail. That underlying hell/futuretech contrast just gives you so many aesthetic possibilities, and personally I feel like it scratches something deep and primal, i.e. the relationship between rapid technological progress and the persistence of some (generally) religious ideas like the existence of absolute evil. It’s why I tend to see the Doom world as a surreal, dreamlike one—actually closer to the psychedelic whimsy of Super Mario Brothers or the later Keen games than the realistic shooters that took over the FPS genre for a while (or even something like Duke3D which had a specific, cartoonish take on the real world).

38 minutes ago, Big Ol Billy said:

One interesting thing about Doom 1/2 hell that I never quite understood (but I’m also glad they didn’t try to explain) is what exactly is going on with the tech/hell fusion motifs that pop up everywhere. It’s even right there in the Doom logo—pseudo-occult hieroglyphs fading into wires and electronics. I get that when hellspawn invade the UAC facilities they ended up corrupting the personnel and tech there—but apparently the whole invasion was masterminded by a mechanized demon brain, and the other big bad is a cybernetically enhanced super-demon? Where did they come from? And what does hell really need human tech for anyways since they have all the powers of the dark arts?

I always thought that demons are also intelligent, and they also developed technology

5 hours ago, Kristian Nebula said:

The abrahamic hell itself could be just another dimension in the possibly infinite sea of possible dimensions that happens to be the home to very evil entities that humans call demons. In theory it could even overlap our dimension as a parallel universe where atoms are vibrating on a different frequency making invisible to us, even though overlapping our reality. Teleporting from Earth to Hell could mean that the teleport pads actually are in the same physical location, and it's just a teleport to that other dimension or reality that is overlapping ours. Just an interesting thought, hehe.

What is your IQ?

2 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

There's nothing wrong with believing in it.

4 minutes ago, TakenStew22 said:

There's nothing wrong with believing in it.

This didn't seem to have much to do with that I said, so I'll just remind you that there's no reason to believe in the existence of hell. 

Since the existence of Hell isn't something we can definitively prove or disprove, can we not open that can of worms and just agree to believe what we wish to believe.

I personally believe in Hell. Yeah, there might not be a reason to but it's my choice in the end and I don't really need a reason to believe.

I always saw hell as a seperate stellar body from Earth, some sort of alien world that really has it out for humans. Note that most twisted areas tend to be at the crossroads' of the dimensions, implying that the very act of teleporting could twist the reality into horrible amalgamation of the two worlds.

8 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

This didn't seem to have much to do with that I said, so I'll just remind you that there's no reason to believe in the existence of hell. 

You just gave me 2 more reasons, actually.

8 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

image.png.c89e17e288e642057be44fd20543506d.png