Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maser

Old Doom Habits Die Hard

Share your horrible bad habits you have while playing Doom that you just can't seem to kick.  Habits so bad that even the ghost of Betty Ford can't cure.  I'll start.

I have an EXTREMELY bad habit of anytime I come face to face with a hitscan enemy, I freeze as if I'm waiting for it to throw a projectile that I can dodge.  Nothing good ever comes from that action.

These aren't necessarily bad habits but they're habits I've either picked up or never kicked over the years:

Even though it's (very minorly) disadvantageous in deathmatch, I will never not use the big oldschool-style grey HUD with Doomguy's face. Anything else throws off my ability to keep track of my vitals, even other well designed/very clear HUDs.

I haven't really mapped for a while, but when I do I draw sectors both clockwise and counter-clockwise, depending on who knows what. I never would have noticed this, but Decay pointed it out once and now I pay attention to it when I'm dropping lines even though it really means nothing.

In deathmatch, even when I know a server lets you use your own PWO, I still find myself quickly mashing 3 to keep the SSG out when I step on a shittier weapon such as the chaingun or chainsaw. In servers where you automatically switch on pickup, I became so good at timing this that I figured out you could prevent the undesirable weapon from even showing up - The player would simply lower and raise the SSG once, rather than enduring the eternity it takes to lower the SSG, raise the chaingun, lower the chaingun, and raise the SSG, all just to keep the bloody SSG out in the first place. Reducing that enormous window of vulnerability seriously helps in servers with more OS style settings.

I unintentionally mash my wrists into the corner of my desk when I'm concentrating too hard during DMs. There's no other game or activity on the computer that causes me to do this. I'm sure it's wonderful for my wrists and hands (by wonderful I mean absolutely awful).

In the heat of battle, even when I've learned a door is sensor-activated, I still press the use key as I approach it, resulting in it closing in my face and usually getting fragged from behind since I was stopped dead in my tracks. As a side note, any mappers who make DM maps where doors are both sensor-activated and also push-activated deserve to have their inconsiderate heart ripped out from their chest so they can see how cold and shriveled it is before they die.

...I think that's more than enough!

trying to skip encounters or cause huge in-fights in maps I don't know anything about yet just gets me killed over and over :)) this happens particularly on maps with lots of hell knights because they don't feel urgent or fun to kill on their own

I also enjoy dashing into slime sectors without knowing if they're escapable or whether they link to anywhere else on the map

3 hours ago, yakfak said:

trying to skip encounters or cause huge in-fights in maps I don't know anything about yet just gets me killed over and over :)) this happens particularly on maps with lots of hell knights because they don't feel urgent or fun to kill on their own

I also enjoy dashing into slime sectors without knowing if they're escapable or whether they link to anywhere else on the map

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.

Edited by wintertowns

I am OCD about keeping my health and armor in perfect condition in Doom. Whenever I see a Soulsphere, Megaarmor, or Megasphere in a map I always seem to wait until I killed every single enemy before I pick them up, then I'll grab the powerups and get 200% health and armor, and then exit the level. I probably do this because I wanna make sure I'm ready for the next level.

I always use the "jump" mechanic in GZDoom to keep hopping over rivers of radiation. It's kind of cheating, but I do it anyways.

I also seem OCD about saves. Whenever I feel that I've been too badly beaten by demons I load back to my previous save and start the fight over again.

I always use health packs and medkits too early. I also am an ammo hoarder. T_T

1 hour ago, TakenStew22 said:

I am OCD about keeping my health and armor in perfect condition in Doom. Whenever I see a Soulsphere, Megaarmor, or Megasphere in a map I always seem to wait until I killed every single enemy before I pick them up, then I'll grab the powerups and get 200% health and armor, and then exit the level. I probably do this because I wanna make sure I'm ready for the next level.

I always use the "jump" mechanic in GZDoom to keep hopping over rivers of radiation. It's kind of cheating, but I do it anyways.

I also seem OCD about saves. Whenever I feel that I've been too badly beaten by demons I load back to my previous save and start the fight over again.

I thought I was the only one who does this, not just in Doom but in pretty much every game.

Conserving plasma and rockets for some fight later on, but then when the fight happens you beat it using the shotgun.

Edited by pulkmees

When facing an Archvile starting his attack against me, I'm always waiting for the last tic before shooting him with the SSG at point blank range, hoping that he enters his pain state just in time. Maybe I think he's more vulnerable at this specific moment.

It doesn't occure everytime but when it does, it's like a relief.

Hitting ESC or F10 when watching an .mp4 video of a Doom demo.

I don't strafe; instead I do this stupid forward/backwards zig-zag motion that works most of the time and put's me in harms way the rest of the time.   (Never been good at strafing-it's just not a skill I have unless using a controller to cheat).

Humping walls even when I don't need to. To be fair that only started after playing Multiplayer, so am gonna blame other players for infecting me with wall humping disorder. 

Dodging into projectiles instead of away from them

Refusing to use automap sometimes, even if I'm hopelessly lost

Resurrecting

Being overly cautious in areas where monsters are constantly sniping me- I waste ammo and end up losing more health than I would had I simply ran through the damn place.

Picking up health that will end up being wasted (medikit at 80% health)

I'm a godawful player, but for some reason I still do it :P

-Using Freelook regardless of whether the map is balanced around it or not.

-Save-scumming

-Dodging into projectiles

-Sometimes (I have been successful in mostly kicking this one but it still happens on rare occasions) I run backwards in an attempt to dodge a projectile (usually imp fire balls and revenant rockets) where I could have very easily and reliably dodged it by strafing.

I still save a game exactly so that the thumbnail shows a monster in the middle of their death animation.

I'll try and shoot a barrel to kill a couple enemies, but then waste more ammo trying to explode that barrel than I could've just used on the enemies themselves.

I'll save at the start of a level even though Zdoom autosaves.

I also have a bad habit of using RESURRECT in the console because I'm too afraid to lose 8-ish minutes of progress, but then just kinda use it every time I die. If I'm gonna cheat that hard I might as well just have god mode on.

28 minutes ago, EngineerKappa said:

I also have a bad habit of using RESURRECT in the console because I'm too afraid to lose 8-ish minutes of progress, but then just kinda use it every time I die. If I'm gonna cheat that hard I might as well just have god mode on.

me too

and

i dont save the game sometimes the principal reason of i use the resurrect cheat

17 hours ago, yakfak said:

There's nothing wrong with skipping encounters or causing huge in-fights. 

Hell does not play fair.  Why should you?

Taking cover in an alcove, behind a pillar, or whatever, then not having the patience to wait there for long enough: all too often I step  back out after three or four seconds and get a fireball in my face.

Thinking I've got a situation with a Lost Soul under control, allowing it to close in on me, then getting zapped before I can react. I HATE bloody Lost Souls....

Edited by Summer Deep

Save scumming. My general rule is one save per key segment usable whenever, or after a particularly difficult section if necessary. However, I end up saving much more often than that, to the point that I sometimes even get irritated with myself ("Come on, you barely even took damage!"). I could play easier stuff, I guess, but that's no fun. not saying easy is bad, just prefer hard.

Save scumming here as well, I'm less and less willing to experience frustration when trying to enjoy something, so if shit hits the fan I'd rather save scum my way through than retry the segment a few dozens of times.

Making sure my amount of shells is a pair number. If it's not, then I'll fire the Shotgun on the first thing I see.

6 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Making sure my amount of shells is a pair number. If it's not, then I'll fire the Shotgun on the first thing I see.

I started doing this recently, cause it’s annoying when you’re firing the SSG and it autoswitches to SG when you have 1 shell left.

I always stockpile cells for the plasma gun/bfg when I should be expending them!  It makes sense for Doom 64 where cells are surprisingly rare, and spread across the plasma gun, bfg and the laser.

1 hour ago, Ex Oblivione said:

I always stockpile cells for the plasma gun/bfg when I should be expending them!  It makes sense for Doom 64 where cells are surprisingly rare, and spread across the plasma gun, bfg and the laser.

I do this a lot, even if I'm faced with a cyberdemon or something, I'm just like... "but it will probably get worse, better save 'em!"

12 hours ago, Ex Oblivione said:

11 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

I do this a lot, even if I'm faced with a cyberdemon or something, I'm just like... "but it will probably get worse, better save 'em!"

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooAwesomeToUse

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:26 AM, Maser said:

I have an EXTREMELY bad habit of anytime I come face to face with a hitscan enemy, I freeze as if I'm waiting for it to throw a projectile that I can dodge.  Nothing good ever comes from that action.

Well, strafing doesn't affect whether a hitscan attack will hit you.

For me, probably ammo hoarding when I have a berserk pack. I'm swimming in ammo pickups and I still try to punch everything to death.