Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

Will fix the typo.

First spoiler is about maps you have already played (to protect people in the thread who haven't watched the video.

Spoiler

MAP08 actually has plenty of ammo (though finding a secret or two would help!), but it's intentionally designed to make 'camping' in the red door room a bad plan.  If you bug out earlier, you can generate a lot more infighting and also access a lot more hitscanner drops.

I was amused that you noticed the funky ickwall in the secret, but not the matching ickwall in the next room that is actually how you access it :)

MAP09 is very much intentionally the "baron" map, which is why other tough monsters are rare.  There's the one arachnotron, and then other than that it's just cacos as 'higher tier' enemies (because I do love the caco).  The large number of nobles is one reason why the map has so much plasma, since it helps kill them faster.  Also because this is the first time you get it, so I wanted to let the player really enjoy that fact

This second spoiler is about an upcoming map.  It's very mild and reading it actually may make things a little more fun for you, but it is still a spoiler.

Spoiler

MAP11 hates you, and wants to eat your face.  You may want to keep a back-up save with carried over weapons from MAP10 in case pistol start is too much of a grind.

On 9/23/2018 at 4:23 AM, HAK3180 said:

Time to return the favor, people!

Okay, in all seriousness, there will be no mutual scratching of backs here/preferential treatment given to those who fill this request. But here’s a humble request that some of you whose maps I’ve played take a few minutes and peak at a couple of mine. If you’re not interested, cool. My stated goals in the opening post of this thread are to get better at mapping and have fun Dooming. I’ve done both, thanks to you. I just wanted you to be aware of the influence all this critiquing has had on me so far and invite you to view it firsthand.

I played and recorded the first 3 maps in your Crossbearer wad.

I liked maps 1 and 3, but I didn't have as much fun with the second map on account of not being able to see anything. I spent a while puzzling over how to get to the exit on map 3; I think your switch may be wonky.

I also played the first three maps of Crossbearer.

I liked it. They're easy maps, especially continuous, but they held my attention.

crossbearer-fda-ac.lmp

PRBoom+ 2.5.1.5, UV, complevel 17

The first map really encouraged exploration, which you can see I went a little far with at the end, despite the fact I didn't find any of the secrets.

The combat definitely ramped in map 3, but it was still playing it a bit safe.

Pretty good, so far.

@mArt1And00m3r11339

idgames download page

Unfortunately I don’t have interest in/the skill for/the patience for the last map. It’s a pistol only onslaught wherein infighting is your only hope – lots and lots of infighting. In general I don’t like too much infighting, so naturally, I don’t like this map. And I barely actually played it, so I can’t really properly comment on it.

Bottom line: not for me

Red Dust 1 is an eclectic set of very distinct maps that all feature a very specific experience. The only thing really similar about most of them is that they are unique. I can appreciate almost all of it, even if I only enjoyed about ½ of it.

@meapineapple, Hey, thanks a lot for playing! As far as Map 02, is that how dark it was when you actually played or just the resulting video? Your video is definitely the darkest I have ever seen that map. The main part of the map is 128 brightness and it's never any darker than 112. It was certainly not my intention to make it impossible to see - I'm not a fan of that either.

As for Map 03, I'm afraid it's as simple as you didn't actually press the switch behind the crusher at ~37:14. That would have raised the nukage (each switch raises it halfway). BUT! There just happens to have been an error in the map that allowed you to complete it anyway. I had accidentally set both the red switch and the red key marker texture to raise the nukage, so when you tried at the end, you activated that mistakenly tagged 16-wide piece of doorred. So I'll be getting rid of that right away. And I'll do something about that demon. What port/version did you use, by the way?

Edited by HAK3180

@Aquila Chrysaetos, many thanks for playing. Gotta say, it was funny watching you die pathetically toward the beginning of Map 03 before realizing you had clearly used the older version (only significant change was stuck demon, so I never drew attention to the update). I also thought it was kinda funny you and meapineapple both insisted on continuous runs yet both punched out several demons yet both missed the berserk in Map 01. All in all a great and informative run and I appreciate it.

@Obsidian, Sorry. I hate to disappoint, but I played Map 02 for an hour and only got to about 100 kills. I was almost always lost, almost always short on ammo, and almost never really enjoying myself. I’m afraid I’m just not going to commit to a full 550-kill (3-4 hour?) video under those circumstances. Don’t take it personally though; neither puzzles nor extra large maps have ever really been my thing.

S'all good, I understand that my style isn't gonna be everyone's cup of tea. Cheers for trying it regardless.

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@meapineapple, Hey, thanks a lot for playing! As far as Map 02, is that how dark it was when you actually played or just the resulting video? Your video is definitely the darkest I have ever seen that map. The main part of the map is 128 brightness and it's never any darker than 112. It was certainly not my intention to make it impossible to see - I'm not a fan of that either.

As for Map 03, I'm afraid it's as simple as you didn't actually press the switch behind the crusher at ~37:14. That would have raised the nukage (each switch raises it halfway). BUT! There just happens to have been an error in the map that allowed you to complete it anyway. I had accidentally set both the red switch and the red key marker texture to raise the nukage, so when you tried at the end, you activated that mistakenly tagged 16-wide piece of doorred. So I'll be getting rid of that right away. And I'll do something about that demon. What port/version did you use, by the way?

What you see in the video is what I saw while I was playing map02! Light levels below 128 are as good as black for me. I was playing Zandronum 2.1.2.

I just tried loading the map in prboom+ and glboom+ and it looked fine - https://imgur.com/TbbjvjD

Maybe my Zandronum settings are just hecked up? I will have to figure out what's going on.

And ha, yeah, kind of hard to tell that there's a switch behind the crusher when the sector is pretty much black.

edit: Huh, I guess my gl ambient light level setting was too low? I set it higher and now the map looks in Zandronum about like it did in prboom+. I don't remember changing that from the default, though. I didn't know the setting even existed until I googled it and paid close attention to how to even get to the option in the settings menu.

@meapineapple, glad you got that taken care of. Maybe I should take a look at that setting; my opengl is always much brighter...

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

The finale is an icon of sin, but of the iwads, it’s most like TNT’s, which is my favorite. It’s a whole level that ends with you confronting the demon spitter. The level has no secrets and is pretty linear, but it does have a puzzle or two to slow you down, and of course, monsters spawning the entire time. The look of the map is great: just classic red, black, and grey. People don’t always like Icon of Sin maps these days, but I think this one is pretty good.

Bottom line: a fitting finale for a somewhat modernized classic style megawad

Good Morning Phobos is a very well designed, cohesive megawad that takes after TNT. There were some frustrating ammo moments and some moments that felt simplistic, but by and large these are fun levels with lots of excitement that look great. You feel like you are simultaneously in 1996 and 2016. My favorites are 05, 11, 12, 16, 22, 24, 28. I would recommend this to anyone who has even the slightest interest in "conventional" Doom wads.

P.S. There will be one more video for Map 33

Edited by HAK3180

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

This one does come with some extra challenge, but nothing that’s not really in keeping with the established style of Exomoon. This map felt very Doom 2 to me, somewhat gimmicky and even reminded me of The Chasm. It’s actually pretty simple but a lot of fun.

Bottom line: Deadwing’s very distinct visual style has not gotten stale and the gameplay is stellar as usual.

Thanks a lot again! This levels is already flowing a lot better than before. It was harder, but at the same time way too exausting, and the navigation is better (surprisingly for a fairly linear map). Still,  as I suspected, there's some tuning needed to be done >.<

I'll make the steps in the initial battle easier to spot and so the initial items. Also, I'll find a way to make easier to the player discovers how to get out of the giant central blood area (also add some radiosuits).

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

The map has the usual visual problems: a little bit monotonous in some places – plain textures used for lots of continuous wall space, etc. but the design and flow are not bat at all. It also features some pretty interesting combat, such as the very beginning. The flamethrower may be a bit overpowered, though it seemed to do very little against the cyberdemon.

Bottom line: I’m really liking the shorter, more conventional maps, but it’s more than just layout. Lately Zolgia108 exhibits a much better understanding of how to orchestrate combat, in my opinion.

@Capellan

Doomworld forum topic

Difficulty definitely picks up. The maps feel more like the first several with one continuous, hectic fight. I didn’t really like Map 10 – seemed like a level for the sake of the pun, and 11 had the potential to be rather unforgiving, but more solid stuff here. I especially liked the unrelenting nature of Map 13.

Bottom line: shorter maps with plenty of action – the premise hasn’t gotten old yet

Mmm, that video preview image gives me a happy :)     Caco<3

Can't watch the video just now, but will check it out as soon as I can.

Map10

That "arrow" is a bug.  Fixed it now.  Alas, it seemed to distract you from the actual secret that was in that general area, which you walked past a couple of times :)

Map11

Have I mentioned that I like cacodemons? :)

Thanks again Hak, i think that i will have to reconsider all of my previous maps. Since your testing started i began to notice things and i completely changed my attidude towards mapping, if i will ever finish and release Djinn it won't be before i'll see that every map has the consciousness that i've built over time mostly thanks to your critical opinion :)

PS: i hate what i did on map 20 so be prepared to insult me, i will be ready to delete it afterwards lol

Edited by Zolgia108

11 hours ago, Capellan said:

Mmm, that video preview image gives me a happy :)

Youtube generates three that you can choose from if you're too lazy to supply one, which I am. But that is definitely one of the better ones.

Hi Hak. I just posted a public beta of my most recent map and I'm looking to see what folks think of it. It's for Doom II and vanilla compatible (except saving in vanilla will cause a crash). You've said you don't particularly like long maps, so I don't know if this one will be up your alley. It's definitely big, but fairly straightforward and not overly difficult. Most people seem to finish it in around an hour and a half.

If you want to give it a try, here's a direct link. If not, I totally understand.

(There's more info and screenshots in the dedicated thread too. Don't want to clog your thread up with that stuff.)

Edited by Ryath

@Ryath, I saw the thread and was gonna take a look at this eventually. Glad you stopped by here. As you may have noticed, long maps usually end up in two or three parts and I don't like to post until the whole thing is done, so you will probably either see this on Saturday or (unfortunately) not until Tuesday night (UTC-400).

By the way, I've only played three Metroid games, but Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time, and Prime was probably in my top two Game Cube games.

My level "lesser containment area" had 186 views and counting and it just got updated it's a short one level map taking at the most a minute to complete and has difficulty levels sorta implemented its for the ultimate doom the only non vanilla things i did were a friendly marine and a see through glass window.

here is the link

@genericpainelemental

Doomworld forum topic

It’s pretty crude and lacking in detail. It’s all rectangles and almost all of the combat is simplistic. Some of the areas are way too big for what you encounter in them. The progression is okay except I don’t think it’s even possible to see the yellow door (not that it’s marked) without having the yellow key (or at least having been right in front of it). So might as well ditch the yellow key and make that an exit door instead. The lifts were confusing. No secrets makes me sad panda. The good is that it's an effort and I don't think anything was broken.

Bottom line: Definitely early in a mapping career.

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

It does have a nice castle look. I especially like how many windows there are, both to other indoor parts, and to the outdoor. And I do really like the outdoor courtyard. Supplies are maybe a little bit off, and there are some potentially grindy encounters, but overall I like the gameplay. There’s a nice gradual progression of danger.

Bottom line: full of fun enough, deceptively difficult (or at least not easy) progression

@HAK3180 Thanks for playing!

I've been planning to try more of the maps in Crossbearer soon, I'll definitely post a recording when I've done so. Did you intend for the maps to be played from a pistol start?

I'd also like to ask that you add Chronicle of Doomguy to your list, which is always a joy to inflict on people. You can expect roughly 1.5 hours to complete all three maps on a blind run. Don't forget to pistol start; you'll miss out on some of the most novel parts of the map design if you play continuously.

@meapineapple, Ooh, this looks like fun. So I'm avenging the death of the Rock? Seems like a good idea. As for Crossbearer, yes the intent is pistol start. Later maps will be quite easy continuous.

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

It’s an interesting little teleporter quasi-maze that ends in a boss fight. As usual, the look is interesting but a little monotonous. The boss arena itself is very well designed: geometry, variety of heights, and additional monsters. The only thing that didn’t work for me as a no freelook kind of dude was that it was hard to see the boss unless it was decently far away, since it was always flying high.

Bottom line: Simple, but skillful boss fight design

Freelook shouldn't be recommended for this wad >.< I'll make some adjustments to the arena so the boss doesn't fly as high. (I'll probably lower the ceiling, especially in the the areas with lower ground) Also, the secret path still looks like it's the main path lol I'll have to find a way to make the secret path a bit more hidden.

Thanks a lot for the playthrough! :)