Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 40 - Pumpkin Spiced Edition!

The session that came before this session before this session existed and became a session.

Tis' the Season of Spoop! Your Halloween-themed Abyssal Speedmapping Session will be held on the 20th of October, 7PM Eastern Standard Time. You can find the link to the ASScord server right here 24 hours before the festivities commence and we'll see about rigging up a second session 12 hours later for those who can't make it to the first one. Feel free to suggest some nightmarish themes or some suitably spooky resources!

Screw you, the Bongo Cat meme is a fucking treasure.

Looks like I may be sitting this one out again... You'd think my girlfriend would work the ASS weekend, occasionally!

Anyway, I think "spooky" enemies would be an obvious theme. Spectres, Revenants, "Zombies"/Possessed Humans and Lost Souls only!

If there is a second session, I'll return to make a fourth attempt at actually completing a map for ASS. Maybe this will be the month!

8 minutes ago, Phobus said:

Anyway, I think "spooky" enemies would be an obvious theme. Spectres, Revenants, "Zombies"/Possessed Humans and Lost Souls only!

Agreed. You could add Hell Knights and Barons of Hell to the list, too (demons/devils, stereotypically Halloween).

Another additional theme: mandatory flickering or pulsing lights.

You know, Doom (and 2 especiall) are a darn good base for halloween based maps now that I think about it. You got all those creaky wood textures and bare trees, skull decor and blood, lot's of it. A good majority of Doom 2 urban textures are better suited for those old creepy houses than any modern household. 

I should be able to make the 20th, barring anything going wrong irl or something like that.

As far as spooky themes go, I'll take a cue from the spookiest of the Doom games and suggest: Limited to the Doom 64 bestiary only (so no chaingunners, revenants, archviles or Spider Masterminds (maybe import nightmare imps and the Mother Demon, if that's the case?). A different theme I had in mind regarding weapons: Ballistic weapons only (no chainsaw, plasma gun, or BFG. Probably no berserk, either).

It's a pity that we had the extreme light differential theme last month, since it'd go pretty well with a spooky theming as well.

1 hour ago, NuclearPotato said:

A different theme I had in mind regarding weapons: Ballistic weapons only (no chainsaw

It just occurred to me that it would be very Evil Dead/Army of Darkness to have the only weapons available be the SSG and the chainsaw. So add that to my list of suggested themes.

That's as many as four tens! 

Also Jimmy made the pumpkin keys, I believe, for the 2015 Halloween ASStacular AKA the one that wasn't cancelled AKA ASS23 AKA bumpadumpadumpdumpfest

Another additional theme: mandatory flickering or pulsing lights.

I'm gonna alter this with a general suggestion of "use at least one light special"

I second the "spooky monsters only" theme (i mentioned it on the discord right before coming here and realizing that someone had already suggested it lol)

Welp, the 20th lands on a saturday, so I'm sadly out. I work that day.

I should be around for more ass this month.

@rf` That avatar is kind of ..... strange...

One ideal for the theme could be no lighting above 128? Maps set at night?

On 10/4/2018 at 3:30 AM, Obsidian said:

we'll see about rigging up a second session 12 hours later

@Jimmy

You haven't said you can't host the second session, like you explicitly said last month, but you also haven't officially confirmed your availability.

So, will you be able to lead the second session?

I was gonna leave that to his discretion and not promise anything: it's purely out of the goodness of his heart that he does these and if he can't do them for any reason then I can respect that.

1 hour ago, Obsidian said:

I was gonna leave that to his discretion and not promise anything: it's purely out of the goodness of his heart that he does these and if he can't do them for any reason then I can respect that.

I completely agree. @Jimmy is fantastic for agreeing to host a second session and I completely respect any decision he decides to make, whether yeah or nay. I just wondered if he knew yet whether he would be able to do so for this month.

@Obsidian pleeeeease tell me Mayhem will be released before this session... 2 weeks? :P

I should be able to host the second session. Falls on a Sunday for me, which should be fine.

Alright, the List Of Ten! I tried to go for themes with the potential to be spooky to some degree, hopefully I've succeeded.

1. 384x384

2. Reality maps: start with 1 health and cannot gain more

3. Chainsaw only

4. Instantly lowering and raising floors and ceilings

5. Flesh textures only: custom textures allowed

6. Revenants and Lost Souls only

7. Zombie apocalypse: unreasonably large amounts of zombie enemies

8. Map that populates itself after pressing a switch

9. Every monster is in a monster closet

10. Overabundance of slow crushing floors and ceilings in the play area

The session will hit in less than a week! Mark it on yer calendars. :P

7 makes me wonder if it would be possible to dehacked a monster to act like the zombies in Quake - at least to the extent that only explosive damage could kill them, and everything else was ignored (kind of the opposite of cybers, really).

Edited by Capellan : 7, not 8

That is actually doable, although it requires a fair bit of legwork. Incorporeal stationary non-attacking Arch-Viles over every square inch of the map, for one. :P

I actually played with the idea last year with this wad here and while it is a little time-consuming to pull off, it's pretty groovy when it happens. Regarding gibbing being the only way of killing them, all you need to do is have the corpse disappear after a while so nothing's left to reanimate. A little overly extensive for a speedmap project, but definitely something to look into at some point.

Hello, please forgive me my ignorance: But what exactly is this "Abyssal Speedmapping"? I guess, speed mapping, but what are those sessions? Is one map completed within one session? Because I noticed there are quite lots of them. :D

And of course, the obligatory "is this archived somewhere" question still stands as well.

Thank you very much, it does indeed! Those sessions sound like a fun thing to do.

23 hours ago, Obsidian said:

I tried to go for themes with the potential to be spooky to some degree, hopefully I've succeeded.

1. 384x384

2. Reality maps: start with 1 health and cannot gain more

3. Chainsaw only

4. Instantly lowering and raising floors and ceilings

5. Flesh textures only: custom textures allowed

6. Revenants and Lost Souls only

7. Zombie apocalypse: unreasonably large amounts of zombie enemies

8. Map that populates itself after pressing a switch

9. Every monster is in a monster closet

10. Overabundance of slow crushing floors and ceilings in the play area

I've said it before, I don't like reality maps, it's not what I think of when I think of Doom, so I don't like 2.

4 is gimmicky--that's how I see instantly lowering floors and ceilings.

7 could be interesting to see how people handle it.

I suppose 3 would require some sort of dehacked work to remove the pistol? Or are you meaning the chainsaw is the only weapon you have in the map?

10 has the potential to get irritating, I think.

Personally, I like 6, 7, and 8.

Less than 24 hours to go! Here's the link to the server: remember, this only grants temporary membership that disappears when you log off of Discord.

TEXTURE GATHERING STARTS NOW! Your theme is flesh textures only, so feel free to pick custom fleshy goodness.