Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm trying to create a sprite based, first person, MP arena shooter.

Before I start looking for a programmer though, I've been collecting and creating media.

Having been inspired by Adventures of Square and a couple of other mods, Ive been making my own textures as well as modifying the LAB textures.

But now I need more specific help: I need an original player sprite set and weapon sprites.

If you'd like to help let me know and I'll share my game document with you.

If you'd like to help in other ways or have questions feel free to message.

Thanks

Edited by greentiger

You're going to have to give us much more than that to inspire anyone to want to work alongside you.

Β 

Here's a little list of what you're probably going to need to do:

Β 

• Tell us, publicly, everything about your game that would excite us about it.
    • This will entice the artists
    • This will also serve as early advertisement for your currently unknown game
  • Explain exactly what work the artist will have to do.
    • Is it just a player sprite? How about the animation frames, the death frames.... Will there be skins?
    • Are you expecting the artist to stick around afterwards to do the other work such as logo, weapon sprites, special effects, etc?
  • What will the artist get from doing this
    • Money. Money makes things happen, fact of life. Can you pay the artist for their time?
    • Is your game going to be free or commercial? If commercial, you may be able to make an agreement for a share of the revenue.
    • If you're lucky enough to find a competentΒ artist who wants to work for free, don't abuse them / expect too much of them.
  • What deadlines etc will there be?
  • and finallyΒ show us what you've done so far.Β Telling us you've made some textures doesn't mean... well, anything. Showing us on the other hand, that tells us a lot.

Basically, in short, you need to offer everything you can up front. More than just 7 poorly written sentences.

Β 

Good luck out there, you'll need it.

"Im trying to create a sprite based, mp arena shooter."

Β 

"Before I start looking for a programmer though"

Β 

In short, who'sΒ reallyΒ making what here? Dragonfly is right. If you're going to find people to do things for you, you need to come back with a wider magnitude of information.

Β 

17 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

You're going to have to give us much more than that to inspire anyone to want to work alongside you.

Here's a little list of what you're probably going to need to do:

Basically, in short, you need to offer everything you can up front. More than just 7 poorly written sentences.

Β 

Good luck out there, you'll need it.

Β 

Your reply comes across as helpful initially--and then ends in a patronizing way--this does not inspire confidence.

Β 

5 hours ago, R4L said:

"Im trying to create a sprite based, mp arena shooter."

Β 

"Before I start looking for a programmer though"

Β 

In short, who'sΒ reallyΒ making what here? Dragonfly is right. If you're going to find people to do things for you, you need to come back with a wider magnitude of information.

Β 

As stated in the initial post, I've created textures and the game's document.

Also as stated, before looking for a programmer, I need to get a small subset of sprites. I also have sound effects and music files.

But I don't think I need the player sprite set anymore--I've gotten a low poly rigged and skinned model that will fit the theme of the game.

Whatever missing graphics I have I'll probably use the Doom sprites for stand-ins until I can get replacements.

Β 

Β 

53 minutes ago, ArcheKruz said:

How much are you offering? I will not work for anything less than $60 a day for a day's work.

Β 

Here's some stuff I've done:

HUDPots.png.dc2e064e3d41920c3a206bf410405c26.pngArcheAnimationtest06.gif.ab82a5f679d7af068302762ea7bf8dc7.gif

Β 

Β 

I love the art work--and the price seems fair.

Give me 2-3 days to let me see what I'm going to do with this model that I have; I will message you and let you know.

Thanks!

Β 

8 hours ago, greentiger said:

Also as stated, before looking for a programmer, I need to get a small subset of sprites. I also have sound effects and music files.

Β 

Β 

"Programmer Art" works in this case, you usually get a working concept before you splash the cash on the artwork. Technical limitations and requirements may also dictate how the artist has to work, so keep that in mind as you proceed.

Β 

Sorry if my post seemed condescending - this isn't the first time I've seen someone who wants something made from nothing with little more than a couple of sentences. No proof of concept or even a good pitch of what they're doing. Be it a new doom project, a new game, etc.

Β 

Take away any bitterness from my message, the sentiment is still the same. Show more of what you're doing / planning to do and people will be more interested. I wouldn't worry too much about "ideas being stolen". Anyone who's capable of actually utilising the ideas is very likely too busy making their own work a reality.

On 10/4/2018 at 4:37 AM, greentiger said:

Whatever missing graphics I have I'll probably use the Doom sprites for stand-ins until I can get replacements.

You might want to useΒ Freedoom assets as placeholders, they're completely free unlikeΒ DoomΒ ones so you'll be able to include them in WIP builds should you wish to make one public.