Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DynamiteKaitorn

Another DooM 1 Remake

Looks good so far, I like it. Keep up the good work and don't forget the download link.

2 hours ago, StevenC21 said:

@Marlamir Why?

Because if you want to call something remake than the main level design and layout should look at least from 50% like original.

Anyway other thing i dont like is easy gameplay and is lacking of some lighting. But to not be only hater, i really like the transition between 1st and 2nd level.

The lighting on this is godawful. It doesn't matter how much you worry about detailing if you're going to leave pretty much everything at fullbright, since it's going to look like garbage no matter what.

Also, the maze in E1M9 is really unnecesary, not to mention kinda boring. OG Doom had mazes, but they were always complemented by light variation (including spooky blinking lights!) or some slight height differences, none of which are present here.

You could've done something more with the tunnel at the start of E1M5, too. As it stands, it looks as if the train came from nowhere, but a small segment fading to black (like the ones you used at the end of some levels) or something resembling a door would've done the trick.

Moreover, two things I noticed in E1M7: you can just slide past the red key bars, and the yellow skullkey is missing on easy and medium. I was playing on HMP, so I had to IDSPISPOPD my way through the yellow door.

Finally, I liked that you encounter cacodemons in E1M8 instead of the expected barons, but the "arena" is incredibly bland and uninteresting. The rocket was cool though.

Sorry if all of this sounds harsh, but you really should refine your mapping skills before attempting to make a MegaWAD.

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Full-bright? My map does have variation of lighting...

Well, maybe not full-bright, but the variations are almost unnoticeable most of the time.

This is pretty good so far, really love how each map starts where the previous left off. My only complaint is the maps are kinda small and have very low monster count, then again, I still got a ways to go. Awesome job DynamiteKaitorn:)

played up to E1M6 so far, and i like it. about lighting, i can say that it is somewhat... i can't find a proper word here... "sterile", may be. it is there, and some shadows too, and such. if you tried to create hi-tech base feeling, the place that should be good lit, 'cause people (monsters? ;-) are working there -- you did it, that is exactly how i felt.

i also like those small touches like monsters looking to computer terminals, it adds to the feeling.

levels are kinda small, but i am not a fan of modern huge creations, i love such old-style small maps, so no problems here. map continuity is a nice detail too.

sure, i only scratched the surface, there is alot more to see, and i definitely will play other maps. definitely a good "classic styled" mapset for my taste. thank you!

@ketmar

Glad to see you're enjoying my map pack so far. :)

Just as a heads up, episode 4 is MEANT to be a complete joke. I hated Episode 4 from DooM 1 so I just made Episode 4 here be full of silly level designs.

@MAN_WITH_GUN

Wow! Thanks for the notoriety! :D

Also since I'm here, I am going to be releasing a DooM 2 version (though I'm only on map 12 for now so it'll be a small while :l)

9 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I hated Episode 4 from DooM 1

same here! ;-)

5 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

@MAN_WITH_GUN

Wow! Thanks for the notoriety! :D

I'm glad you enjoyed it like I was enjoyed your wad so far) Btw, all that "speedrun tricks" like on E2M4 i noticed then baron was blocked me in the lava pit, so it's cool when I can use this tricks on your maps, really like it :D

Also E4 was really huge joke, lol. But I'll try E4M8 on NM cuz it's only one playable map in all Episode, O O F 👀

P.s: Episode 3 will come soon too :P

just wanted to drop a note that i did most of E2 now, and i still like it.

I played the bit of E1 just now (with Freedoom IWAD in MBF), liked how the style is consistent and decidedly un-Doom-like. The details are a bit Spartan but they work, overall it reminded me of HacX in some places.

11 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Episode 3 finally done I see. Thanks. <3

No problem, man. Actually those barons on E3M3 really makes me ragequit, lol. (Everytime I just got hit by them and in that little marble room I can't dodge them, O O F)

Also I'll make a run on E4M8 and E4M9 (Yeah, the secret level is playable too, which is good 👌) So, keep the patience - this not over yet 😎🌟

oh. i finished three episodes, btw. nice solid wad. i didn't found anything i want to rant about -- which is great thing, really. saved to my "replay for fun" directory. thank you!

p.s.: E4 ROX! ;-)