Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A.Gamma

Under a Freezing Sea (Now on /idgames)

Man, no comments yet? It looks great and is on my backlog. I want to try this one out still. Hope, others have not forgotten about it. 

44 minutes ago, elend said:

Man, no comments yet? It looks great and is on my backlog. I want to try this one out still. Hope, others have not forgotten about it. 

We need to play it first :P

48 minutes ago, elend said:

The OP is only 3 hours old...

Map looks awesome tho A.Gamma :)

8 minutes ago, Fonze said:

The OP is only 3 hours old...

Map looks awesome tho A.Gamma :)

Oohhh, indeed. I could swear I saw this already, though?! 

12 hours ago, elend said:

Oohhh, indeed. I could swear I saw this already, though?! 

I posted screenshots of this map a while ago, maybe you saw one of those?

Map looks great, the custom enemies don't feel out of place, it's challenging... but playing on UV I had severe ammo problems about 150 kills in. Plenty of health but finally died when I didn't have enough punch to deal with an Archville and the stuff he resurrected.

1 hour ago, guineu said:

Map looks great, the custom enemies don't feel out of place, it's challenging... but playing on UV I had severe ammo problems about 150 kills in. Plenty of health but finally died when I didn't have enough punch to deal with an Archville and the stuff he resurrected.

Ah, that makes sense and tends to be a common complain with what few maps I've put out(that or too much ammo).  However I feel like I should add that I love to use infighting to save ammo and balance to what I use, still I'll try to add some more ammo without overdoing it. Thanks for your feedback!

After the first Cyberdemon spawns and the room where that happens is cleared out, going back into the previous corridor makes all thost monsters spawn again. Also, the invisible wall overlooking the ocean near the beginning can be bypassed with a running jump onto the part in the middle. But I want to make this post more than bug reports because I still really enjoyed it and I'm glad I took the time to play it.

I'm glad you commented when you did @SiFi270 since I was just about to upload a new version and I had time to fix the bugs you reported. I'm also glad that you found the map enjoyable!

So, new version. It has a bit more ammo(Mostly rockets), and a non-secret backpack. Also I fixed the bugs mentioned in the post above mine. Change file name to AGFrozen_RC2 (because the last one was supposed to be RC1).

EDIT: Updated version to RC2a, added more ammo and changed one Vile turret that made gameplay boring.

New Version

Edited by A.Gamma

What i like about this map is the atmosphere. Those lighting and ambient sfx doing nice mood. Maybe is just me but i'm getting lost quite often. Nice detailing

General thoughts: 

- Custom monsters:  

Spoiler

I felt the sharks and turrets managed to work thematically despite not being traditional fits with the rest of the Doom bestiary, because they are tied into the environment so well (underwater and techbase, respectively). I like how the arachnorbs are repurposed as octupus-like creatures. The hades elemental is scary but underwhelming as an actual enemy: a spread attack that is easy to avoid, and a teleportation mechanic that it ended up 'failing' at a lot, perhaps due to the tight spaces not affording much room to warp. I felt it could do with a few hundred less HP, but I wouldn't consider that a big deal.  

- The frequency of oxygen recharge points in the water under the techbase seemed handholdy, defusing a lot of would-be tension from exploring and fighting and having to worry about your oxygen situation. After I got used to fighting down there, I soon was able to fully relax, with no real sense of danger. 

- Solid design all around, as far as texturing, architecture, and cleanliness of presentation. Probably the weakest point is the lack of memorable vistas. The underwater part of the base is prime for views into the vast depths of the ocean of the sort seen in the first underwater area. The general scale ranged consistently from 'narrow hallways' to 'topographically complex medium-sized rooms', with little venturing outside of that, and most these areas being inward-facing.

- I too got lost at times. The red key path in particular never jumped out at me, feeling more like a sidepath than a main progression line, so it was the last thing I ended up doing before leaving. In the 'tutorial section' was also surprisingly disorienting: the switch to restore power doesn't stand out, and the 'hallway loop' is symmetrical and textured homogeneously, so I ended up looping around a few times in it and the surrounding areas, unsure of where I needed to be. 

- Speaking of the tutorial: the early message not to panic in lifts of the sort with no visible switches ended up not factoring into anything. I don't think I ever found a lift I would have been stymied by.

- The last fight doesn't work as a combat piece. You can camp the door, and that leaves you with meat to clear out. The cyb, when its left over, is plinked easily from below and not much of a threat. Most of the rest throughout the map works though. 

- Lately, more and more of the GZDoom maps I play are using autosave scripts. Not sure how I feel about that. I prefer to play maps of this sort saveless, so of course I just ignore them. Their use strikes me as misplaced outside of emulating a game or experience where automatic checkpoint saves are expected (which in this map, being very Doomy at its core, it isn't).

- Enjoyed the experience overall. Would recommend for those who want to play an exploration-centric map and don't mind swimming.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Some of the points mentioned are a consequence of this being originally an episode, but I'll take them into account.

3 hours ago, rdwpa said:

General thoughts: 

- Custom monsters:  

Hide contents

I felt the sharks and turrets managed to work thematically despite not being traditional fits with the rest of the Doom bestiary, because they are tied into the environment so well (underwater and techbase, respectively). I like how the arachnorbs are repurposed as octupus-like creatures. The hades elemental is scary but underwhelming as an actual enemy: a spread attack that is easy to avoid, and a teleportation mechanic that it ended up 'failing' at a lot, perhaps due to the tight spaces not affording much room to warp. I felt it could do with a few hundred less HP, but I wouldn't consider that a big deal.  

-I'm glad you liked the custom monsters! Those were some of my primary concerns when making the map. As for the Hades Elemental; it's original incarnation (the one in R667) is much deadlier tbh, but it also feels out of place. Basically what I tried to do was to remove some of the most "Un-Doomy" elements of it and transform into, for lack of a better description, a flying Baron. A meaty monster with a not so dangerous attack that can overwhelm the unprepared but is otherwise a relatively simple foe.

- The frequency of oxygen recharge points in the water under the techbase seemed handholdy, defusing a lot of would-be tension from exploring and fighting and having to worry about your oxygen situation. After I got used to fighting down there, I soon was able to fully relax, with no real sense of danger.

That is one of the consequences of designing with an episode in mind. The underwater sections in this level were meant to be an introduction to the concept of underwater combat, which imo has been barely used in any map.

- Solid design all around, as far as texturing, architecture, and cleanliness of presentation. Probably the weakest point is the lack of memorable vistas. The underwater part of the base is prime for views into the vast depths of the ocean of the sort seen in the first underwater area. The general scale ranged consistently from 'narrow hallways' to 'topographically complex medium-sized rooms', with little venturing outside of that, and most these areas being inward-facing.

Thanks! As for the lack of grandiose vistas... well yeah, they're lacking. This was the first time I worked with UDMF so I was a bit over my head and stuck to what I knew.

13 hours ago, Marlamir said:

What i like about this map is the atmosphere. Those lighting and ambient sfx doing nice mood. Maybe is just me but i'm getting lost quite often. Nice detailing

- I too got lost at times. The red key path in particular never jumped out at me, feeling more like a sidepath than a main progression line, so it was the last thing I ended up doing before leaving. In the 'tutorial section' was also surprisingly disorienting: the switch to restore power doesn't stand out, and the 'hallway loop' is symmetrical and textured homogeneously, so I ended up looping around a few times in it and the surrounding areas, unsure of where I needed to be. 

Ah damn, I tried to highlight the important areas using colored lighting to guide the players into them, but seems like I failed. As for the tutorial being disorienting; you're not the first one to tell me that so I'm thinking of adding a light or something near the switch to make it pop.

- Speaking of the tutorial: the early message not to panic in lifts of the sort with no visible switches ended up not factoring into anything. I don't think I ever found a lift I would have been stymied by.

Another leftover of the original intent. Later levels were going to feature more of that kind of lifts, so it's seemed appropiate to add a message about them. As for the level relased, there's one but it's inside a secret area.

- The last fight doesn't work as a combat piece. You can camp the door, and that leaves you with meat to clear out. The cyb, when its left over, is plinked easily from below and not much of a threat. Most of the rest throughout the map works though. 

Hmmm, I see where you're coming from and I think I have an idea to make the final fight more fitting.

- Lately, more and more of the GZDoom maps I play are using autosave scripts. Not sure how I feel about that. I prefer to play maps of this sort saveless, so of course I just ignore them. Their use strikes me as misplaced outside of emulating a game or experience where automatic checkpoint saves are expected (which in this map, being very Doomy at its core, it isn't).

I added the autosaves as a way to accommodate players that want to play in UV but might find the map a bit too hard, as a way to reduce frusrtation.

- Enjoyed the experience overall. Would recommend for those who want to play an exploration-centric map and don't mind swimming.

That is so good to hear! I was still doing some fine tunning to the map when I released my speedmap set, and the feedback you gave there was invaluable to making this one that much better.

Hate to do the double post, but here's RC3: https://waa.ai/aMaL

I changed the final fight per Rdwpa's suggestions and fixed the teleport scripts so that monsters won't fail to teleport. If nothing else comes up in the next few days I'll upload this version to idgames.

Nice map ! I really enjoyed playing it. I was initially looking for a map with underwaters sections to test out the oxygen bar of my hud mod and got more than I wanted ! Really good level design and textures, loved the custom monsters too (especially the kind of duke3D's octobrain/Arachnotron).At first, I had trouble cleaning the first room with the cyberdemon but the rest of the trip was a pleasure !

Glad that you liked it and found it useful! IMO the underwater theme is one of the more underdeveloped in Doom, maybe I'll return to it someday.

I love underwater levels since Duke Nukem and other Build games. This map have one of the rarest game styles I've seen in Doom. Thanks for making it!

On 10/6/2018 at 4:01 PM, Mere_Duke said:

I love underwater levels since Duke Nukem and other Build games. This map have one of the rarest game styles I've seen in Doom. Thanks for making it!

Thanks for playing it! It makes me happy knowing people enjoy my maps :D

8 hours ago, DoodGuy said:

How the hell am I supposed to restore power at the beginning?

There's a button after the first underwater section. If you played with the lastest version, the button is highlighted with a spotlight.

6 hours ago, A.Gamma said:

There's a button after the first underwater section. If you played with the lastest version, the button is highlighted with a spotlight.

The only underwater section I could find was the one with the secret backpack. In that building where the power is off all doors are locked and staircases with health bonuses are a dead end.

Ok for some reason the older gzdoom version doesnt render the room with the first underwater section. I don't know if you can fix it.

Older versions of GZDoom don't render portals, which is exactly the way I did the room. I recommend updating your GZDoom.

Please tell me, how is it poorly balanced? I recognized it had ammo problems and that it can get confusing, but given that you're the first person to say that it's poorly balanced I'm genuinely curious.

Edited by A.Gamma : Removed a sentence that contributed nothing and only came out as aggressive.

It's not poorly balanced or generic. Based on the wording, what this guy probably means is that it had some monsters he couldn't handle and he died.

20 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

It's not poorly balanced or generic. Based on the wording, what this guy probably means is that it had some monsters he couldn't handle and he died.

the guys a troll, sadly.

I played it in GZDoom 2.4.0 today on UV.

I liked it, it's a fun adventure, with well designed encounters.

My version of GZDoom doesn't have spotlights, so that came up as an unknown thing, but I figured out the power easily enough.

My only real gripe is the hangmen seem tankier than I think they should be.

I enjoyed the combat, not too difficult, which is good given my frames were running 10-15 the whole time, and really liked the underwater sections. They were very tense, and I enjoy fighting in three dimensions.

I liked your use of the (nerfed) Hades Elementals, too, and the custom monster use in general was spot on, but they didn't steal the show.

Progression is a little confusing, but the freedom offered greatly outweighed it without making it too confusing.

Truly superb map.