Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
odysseyofnoises

Chocolate Doom Crash with no Error Message

There seems to be a particular spot on my map where Chocolate Doom crashes, but I have no idea what the hell is going on, since I'm not getting any error message (aside from the Windows one that says the program has stopped working). I don't think it's a visplane overflow or anything like that, since that would give me an error. I've attached a screenshot with the relevant area marked with the green dot (not in the actual map, which is also attached if needed). It seems to happen whenever I fire a weapon, so I thought it might be related to the ambient sound effects, but if that's true, then I don't get why that would be the case or how I would fix it.

freezerifle.zip

Capture.JPG

Well, I ended up solving the problem by making the posts in the middle of the spinning fans solid instead of using middle textures. I'm still not really sure what exactly the problem was, but maybe it was some sort of crazy opening overflow.

I'm guessing visplane overflow, as Visplane Explorer shows that particular spot to be particularly high (around 137 visplanes).

Not sure why it happens on weapon firing (though there is a flash when you fire guns, so perhaps that has some effect).  Or why you didn't get a proper error.

I wasn't getting nearly 137 when I checked in that area, but yes, I really did overdo it a bit with the detail there. Even so, I'm still skeptical that it was a visplane overflow because why would the solution then be to make the posts inside the fans solid? I'm actually adding visplanes by doing that, and yet the map no longer crashes in that spot. I'm convinced it had something to do with the middle textures.

I was trying to run this with an older version of Chocolate-Doom, but it crashes immediately, so I extracted the map into a separate wad and "fixed" all the unknown textures and flats, and THAT is the map that produced the high visplane counts (though I don't understand why there are more visplanes, perhaps because a different nodes builder was used).

I'll try the map on the latest Chocolate-Doom (once I get it working on my machine).

P.S. even the latest Chocolate-Doom crashes immediately here with your wad (when trying to start the map) -- so something is definitely wrong, perhaps with the textures (as the crash occurs in R_PrecacheLevel just after precaching textures).

Edited by andrewj

Yeah I forgot to use -merge instead of -file.  Getting a crash (instead of an error) had me assuming something weird was happening.

When I tried it properly, I couldn't reproduce your crash here.

Running some checks on the map in Eureka shows that some sectors have a ceiling height lower than the floor.  This situation can cause crashes in certain circumstances.  Everything else seems fine.  I also unpacked the wad using JeuTool and packed it back up again, with no issues reported.

If you're making a vanilla map you might want to give chocorenderlimits a try - it's a fork of Chocolate Doom that doesn't crash but shows you when you're hitting vanilla limits.

Funny enough, when I used chocorenderlimits, it actually would crash in the noted area (before I fixed it, that is). There is still a nearby area where the visplanes will overflow (with an actual error telling me so) if the silver barrier is lowered and player stands at just the right position and angle, but I'm just letting that one go, since it shouldn't really happen in normal gameplay; you'd have to actively try to get it. Other than that and some specific places with segs overflows, there are no other problems that I'm aware of, so I can safely continue mapping.

Here's the latest version with the spinning-fan problem fixed. There should be no more crashes inside that room. However, there aren't supposed to be any ceilings lower than floors, so if you'd kindly point out which sector indices have that problem, I'll gladly fix them. I already found one and fixed it.

freezerifle.zip