Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AJOgames

GZDoom Builder Colored Lighting?

Hello, I am making a map using GZDoom Builder, And I was thinking of putting colored lighting similar to what you'd see in Doom 64 and the Playstation version of Doom. but I can't find any tutorial online that is up to date, 

I do know how to to put in standard lighting, I'm just wondering if there's a way to put in colored lighting in GZdoom Builder,

I did did see this video that showed how to write a script that would allow colored lighting, but the video is nearly a decade old, and since I use GZD Builder, I don't know if this is possible, since this tutorial was done on a old version of DoomBuilder, ()I do know GZDoomBuilder is based off of Doombuilder)

I'm still a bit new with GZDbuilder, so if there's anyway you can help, I would highly appreciate it.

here's the video in question. like I said, this is an old video, and I don't know if this is possible in GZDBuilder, since he uses an older version of DoomBuilder, The lighting effects seen here though are kinda what I'm aiming for.

(before watching, you might wanna turn down your volume a bit, because for some reason he plays loud rock music while explaining what to do.)

First thing first, just to make sure: by GZDoom Builder, do you actually mean GZDoom Builder-Bugfix?

It's the Bugfix version which is kept updated, as the original GZDoom Builder has been abandoned for a while.

With GZDBBF, you will get this screen for UDMF sector properties:

hevJTUL.png

If you don't have the BF version, here are the useful links:

https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdbbf/

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=54957

Now, for colored lighting:

1. Make a new map in UDMF format. Very important. The features I'm talking about are not all available in Hexen or Doom formats. Use Doom in UDMF only.
  2. Global sector light color applies to everything in the sector. It's the color of ambient light.
  3. Global sector fade color also applies to everything in the sector. It's the color of ambient darkness -- you can use it to create a colored fog, for example, if you make it green then things in dark area will fade to green; and since in Doom darkness increases with distance, things that are far away will be greener than when up close.
  4. Global sector desaturaton also applies to everything. It desaturates, meaning that the colors are made to be closer to grey.
  5. Floor glow. This affects everything that is within its range.
  6. Ceiling glow. Likewise, it affects everything within range. The height is counted down from the ceiling.
  7. Doom 64-like ceiling: the color that applies to the ceiling texture (and only it).
  8. Doom 64-like upper wall: the color that applies to wall textures on the top. As you run down the wall, it turns on a gradient towards the Doom 64-like lower wall color.
  9. Doom 64-like lower wall: the color that applies to wall textures on the bottom. As you run upthe wall, it turns on a gradient towards the Doom 64-like upper wall color.

10. Doom 64-like thing: the color that applies to things in the sector.

11. Doom 64-like floor: the color that applies to the floor texture.

Now it's important to note that the Doom 64 colors are just colors, not lights. IIRC, in Doom 64, light levels are created by using darker colors, but technically the light level is always the maximum. The ceiling and floor glows can be used to imitate the Doom 64 gradients, but there are differences: first, glows are adding light instead of just coloring like the Doom 64-style upper and lower walls; secondly they will affect things in the glowy area, whereas all Doom 64-style colors apply only to what they apply to. You can have bright red floor, ceiling and walls in Doom 64-style, with bright green things in the middle. It'll look strange, but the rendered won't complain.

Edited by Gez

Okay, Thank you so much!

It is unfortunate that it only works with UDMF, since Hexen format allows for features like slopes and 3d floors,  which I hope UDMF has at least some of those advanced features, but I doubt it.

anyway, thank you for helping me out with this one, it was so difficult to look for info on this subject, and at first I actually doubted it would even be possible, that is until I saw PSXDoom.wad in action, So I grew determined to find out how to do this sort of thing.

As for the question you asked at the beginning of your reply...I honestly didn't even know that GZDBBF was a thing, 

I'll check them both out,

I did run into another problem, that being the decorate tab in the "Things" menu, as in it disappeared for some reason,

Now this happened after I inserted some custom weapons and enemies (that I got from Realm667) into my map wad,

the method in this video is what I used to insert them, the only difference being that once I did this, the Decorate tab, (not to be confused with the Decorations tab) in the things menu, which is accessed through Things mode.

this is the video I watched, I don't know if this is the proper way to insert custom content into your wad,

GZDBBF also fixes this issue, but 

I will say that some of the custom content I put into the wad via Slade 3 are also in the Resources, which you can access through Edit-Map Options, so I don't know if it's causing a bug or something, 

but anyway, heres the video link.

and here's a screenshot of the Things Menu, keep in mind that "Decorate" would usually appear below "Dynamic Lights"

image.png.5417e8531a70d8e916b6d444c886bb60.png

UDMF for (G)ZDoom does everything Doom-in-Hexen does, and much more. A couple years ago, I finally made the change from Doom-in-Hexen to UDMF, and I am loving it!

2 hours ago, AJOgames said:

It is unfortunate that it only works with UDMF, since Hexen format allows for features like slopes and 3d floors,  which I hope UDMF has at least some of those advanced features, but I doubt it.

Heh.

Heheh.

HeheheeheehihihwahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA*cough*

Sorry about that.

I am pleasantly surprised by UDMF, like Empyre said it far surpasses the Hexen format, this is great!

However, "Doom 64-like sector colors" is missing, in fact the Colors tab is gone entirely.

And yes, I am using the Bugfix version.

so either it was removed, or the contents inside the Colors tab were moved around to other parts of GZDB.

Not exactly sure what happened either way,

here's a screenshot

image.png.8e2486ccf6a86b8d323cc046e3cc480e.png

Not sure what version of GZDBBF Gez was using, the version I got was the most recent DRD Team version,

I still enjoy this UDMF format, it's my new favorite. 

Same here, I was wondering just now. I do have the "Light", "Fade" and "Desaturation" options under the "Properties" tab as seen above, but the colors tab is missing. I would love to have some easy way to adjust the floor brightness, without affecting the whole sector.

You sure you are in UDMF? If you are sure you are, then that is weird and I suggest asking @ZZYZX on the ZDoom Forums GZDB-BF thread about it.

As you can see with these screenshot, unzipping the Bugfix.7z file shows this, but when I run Builder.exe, I just get regular GZDBuilder, not the BugFix version, and yes, I extracted these same files into my GZDBuilder folder.

and yes, I did download the bugfix version from DRDTeam

image.png.6f2c38311305560c6cc977b01415f2d6.png

Did you set up the editor to edit in UDMF?

This is done through the F6 (Game Configurations) menu

9qnSDOk.png

When you include gzdoom.pk3 make sure that you tick the box for Exclude from testing.

1 hour ago, AJOgames said:

I extracted these same files into my GZDBuilder folder.

There's your mistake, most likely. Extract those files into a new folder, not an existing GZDB folder!

That is strange, I also was under the assumption, that I have GzDoom Builder Bugfix installed. I downloaded it (again?!) from that link mentioned above and now I indeed have that colours tab. Thank you very much for your kind help!

One more question though: You mentioned including gzdoom.pk3 in the resources. Why exactly should I do this? I never did this before and have no clue why this is needed. What are the advantages for me?

1 hour ago, elend said:

One more question though: You mentioned including gzdoom.pk3 in the resources. Why exactly should I do this? I never did this before and have no clue why this is needed. What are the advantages for me?

The only benefit I've ever come across is it enables you to view models in GZDB. There might be other benefits though. 

4 hours ago, elend said:

It'll let the editor parse through the GZDoom resource definitions, so it will be able to handle custom DECORATE or ZScript actors that are derived from standard types.

Technically you don't need to include it. I never do, since in-game everything will get loaded fine with the engine anyway when it loads the PK3. The only real "issue" is you'll get warnings for things like replaced actors and stuff, but I just ignore them.

I also have a question with this.  See screenshot below for in-builder (left) and in-game (right).  WTF am I doing wrong?

image.png.6671d376b6e6523fef8f51f7d5c80b6d.png

5 minutes ago, Antnee said:

There's your problem. you need GZDoom 3.2.0 at a minimum to get Doom 64-style colors in-game.

Just now, Gez said:

There's your problem. you need GZDoom 3.2.0 at a minimum to get Doom 64-style colors in-game.

Yeah, I'm an idiot.  I have the latest version, but W10 still had my .wad associations set to the older version.

I'm all set.