Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hellcat

That's one DUMB space marine (post your stupidest deaths)

Yesterday, I blasted my face by firing a rocket at a wall that dared to get in my way, SURVIVED, and got hit by a hell knight immediately afterwards.

Here's another two for the list. They're actually both from Map 05 of Doom 64 for Doom 2.

I'm not as cool as those who posted videos, but hopefully the descriptions will suffice.

1. In my arsenal, I had a plasma gun and a chainsaw. ... I decided to rush a Hell Knight with the chainsaw. ... It didn't end well.
  2. Another time, I had ~30% health. I decided to fight a Hell Knight that was near a barrel. Showing a remarkable lack of spatial awareness, I decided to stand right in front of the barrel and dodge out of the way of the Hell Knight's fireball. Of course, when I dodged, the fireball hit the barrel, which exploded, killing me. The lesson here, boys and girls, is don't stand next to exploding barrels when monsters are hurling projectiles at you.

@Agent6

All the dying and quickly reloading reminded me of me playing hard maps. No offense meant; I just find myself doing the exact same thing sometimes, so it was nice to see someone else do it, too.

12 hours ago, Pegleg said:

@Agent6

All the dying and quickly reloading reminded me of me playing hard maps. No offense meant; I just find myself doing the exact same thing sometimes, so it was nice to see someone else do it, too.

I was literally save scumming in this map :v .

I did so particularly in an upcoming area with a few Pain Elementals, because their Lost Souls kept overrunning me. I must admit, haven't save scummed like this since... forever maybe.

Also, that final room with the AVs? Must be one of the most punishing traps I've ever seen.

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Also, that final room with the AVs? Must be one of the most punishing traps I've ever seen.

LOL!!!

"Un fleac, m-au ciuruit."

Spoiler

A trifle, I'm full of holes.

I died on Rush wad for a few imps that i left alive, trinking that im a safe of monsters.

This one happens to me all the time ... I walk around with the Rocket Launcher, pass a doorway, get jump-scared by an Imp Ambush, I panic, turn around and fire a rocket right into the face of a monster standing next to me. Rest in pieces, Imp and Doomguy.

New year, new fails. Embark on a tumultuous journey folks.

I've had this "glorious" moment today:

It actually took me a while to understand what the hell just happened. Then I remembered there's Specters below me, waiting in the dark and it all made sense. Pretty funny though :v .

The alpha maps from July 1994 are fascinating, it's great to see how they looked and played like back then, some of them such as Dead Simple are in very, very early stages, surprisingly that one doesn't even have an exit yet. Others, such as Tricks and Traps haven't seen much changes in the final release. The difficulty is pretty inconsistent however and the lack of balance was noticeable in this iteration of the maps, enemy spam is rather frequent, but they're still perfectly doable.

Edited by seed

Auto-aim is not your friend. I always turn it off (and free look on) so I am in full control of where my weapon shoots.

Pro-tip: the worst weapon you can ever use against a Pain Elemental is the rocket launcher. 

Personally, I found out the hard way. Several times, in fact. 

54 minutes ago, Empyre said:

Auto-aim is not your friend. I always turn it off (and free look on) so I am in full control of where my weapon shoots.

I never turn it off. I like my experience as close as possible to vanilla + several enhancements (high resolutions for instance) , but nothing more. Except when the megawad/map/(total) conversion demands it. Autoaim really isn't your friend sometimes though, that much is not questioned, it can easily lead to instances like this and more (I happen to have a few more stupid RL deaths posted somewhere in this thread), I literally fired a rocket in the floor.

16 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

Pro-tip: the worst weapon you can ever use against a Pain Elemental is the rocket launcher. 

I did that on purpose, I'm aware the RL is an idiot's choice against PEs in general. I've only had an opportunity to use it there with minimal risk.

Edited by Agent6

1 hour ago, Man of Doom said:

It does work in very specific situations though, like if the PE is infighting or hasn't noticed you yet.

Autoaim is the best. It reminds you of how aware you have to be of your surroundings and requires skilled movement to be used precisely.

3 hours ago, Juza said:

Autoaim is the best. It reminds you of how aware you have to be of your surroundings and requires skilled movement to be used precisely.

I personally don't like fighting against the game's controls :P

in fact I like to use auto aim, and more because I am a purist

I do not touch the mouse, only when I play with certain mods 

4 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

@Agent6 Damn, that Chaingunner couldn't be better positioned, huh?

Yeah, the bastard died so conveniently it was no problem for the AV to revive him. I tried to hide from him but the AV eventually revived the Revenant, he cornered me, and I died :v. 

3 hours ago, seed said:

Only I could do something like this :v .

Why did you just stand there after getting blasted by that AV? Lol. You should've run the hell away from there.

10 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Why did you just stand there after getting blasted by that AV? Lol. You should've run the hell away from there.

Because I didn't know there's going to be AVs spawning where they did.

They took me by surprise and I thought I could take him out by being faster than him as I usually am when things go the way I want, but I guess all we did was kill each other this time :v .

Trying to dodge missiles but running in to another one you SAW was coming.

Preparing to launch rocket right before falling off the wall, then sit down with wall and eat rocketpie together.

Trade with Pain Elemental (Lost Souls for rockets) goes bad.

Running from Revenant's missile and hiding behind wall/object, then getting that same smart missile in to butt.

Yesterday i was circle strafing a horde of pinkies, demons, hell knights, cacos, lost souls, boners, and chaingunners, almost all of them were infighting. I was at 5 percent health and low on ammo i had 10 shells and 1 rocket, so i tried to backtrack looking for some leftover health, unfortunately after walking backwards while facing in the direction of the massive infighting i got biten by a spectre as soon as i turned around.

The mention of circle-strafing around a horde reminded me of a time I was circle-strafing around a horde of hell knights. I failed to notice that instead of circle-strafing, what I was actually doing was closer to spiral-strafing. And the spiral was slowly going inward. Ultimately, my spiral ended when I bumped into a hell knight. Was this hell knight standing off by himself? No. He was just at the edge of the horde.

Things ended about as you would expect once I bumped into the horde.

No screenshot but just recently I was having so much fun with the berserker pack that I decided to go toe-to-toe with a Baron of Hell with only 30% Health, died before getting my second punch in:(