Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimosaur

VINESAUCE DOOM MAPPING CONTEST 2.

On 10/3/2018 at 7:49 PM, Bauul said:

Pretty much yeah.  Dragonfly asked basically that to one of Joel's mods and they confirmed they hadn't looked at his map yet because it was a big file size.

It was me who did that.

The reason I did that was because I'm the one who test the maps before Joel streams them. The reason I went for the smaller files was because I thought smaller files = smaller maps = more maps for Joel to stream. I know that's not the case now. 

On 10/3/2018 at 7:36 PM, dobu gabu maru said:

Thanks for keeping us updated when streams are on DMPhobos, I appreciate it. I suspect myself and some of the others have yet to see their maps because Joel looked at our file size and NOPE'd over to the smaller maps.

That's not true. It was me who did that. See my previous post.

4 hours ago, Anthropophagus89 said:

That's not true. It was me who did that. See my previous post.

No problem—I feel no contention over this. Someone's map has to be last!

Hearing all the filesize comments is disappointing. My map barely got in* with only 20kb of space left, and it will most likely take Joel 15 minutes (give or take how long he gets stuck on the puzzles) to kamikaze through it like he normally does. 

It also kind of a shame that this thread is mostly on life support due only to there being more streams in the future. If a streamer THIS big isn't shaking up a lot of the community, then something is either really fishy or just plain sad.

*I don't actually know if my map made it or not, this is just a guess

41 minutes ago, Lazorinc said:

It also kind of a shame that this thread is mostly on life support due only to there being more streams in the future. If a streamer THIS big isn't shaking up a lot of the community, then something is either really fishy or just plain sad.

I don't know what any of this means. It sounds like you're disappointed that this thread isn't more active? I can't imagine why it would seem fishy. Sad? Sure, why not. Sometimes it seems like there are more people making Doom content than playing (and caring about) that content. Perhaps that's why 300+ new wads by mostly novices isn't exciting to everyone. I don't think Joel is excited about it either, which is what's sad to me. It sometimes seems like he'd rather be streaming anything else, and only does Doom streams out of obligation. 

1 hour ago, Benjogami said:

It sometimes seems like he'd rather be streaming anything else, and only does Doom streams out of obligation. 

If I were Joel, I wouldn't be having a contest "next year". After the whole debacle about THQ 2 being in his old autosaves before the contest started, I don't think that this idea could ever morally redeem itself.

Wait, if Joel is avoiding maps based on file size than doesn't that mean he was bullshitting us on selecting wads by random?

"the whole debacle about THQ 2 being in his old autosaves"

?

Just now, hardcore_gamer said:

Wait, if Joel is avoiding maps based on file size than doesn't that mean he was bullshitting us on selecting wads by random?

No, the mods said they choose maps to verify first based on file size, and Joel probably picked from that pool at random, doesn’t mean big files are necessarily last, but are probably some of the last that are verified by the mods

2 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

(Goddamn accidental doublepost, my bad) We already knew that the mods were sending them to him chunks, the only problem is how those chunks were being divided up. However, he just said that he knows that filesize doesn't equal length, so that may be fixed coming up.

On 10/13/2018 at 3:36 AM, hardcore_gamer said:

"the whole debacle about THQ 2 being in his old autosaves"

?

Ffs do any of you read the thread? Like.. at all?

JOEL did not select ANY maps. I (his mod) test the maps and approve them, then I send them over to Joel and he plays them.

I do select them randomly. In the beginning I chose the smaller files because I thought I'd get through them faster but now I mix it up.

Every map that gets approved will be streamed.

... I do wonder, why does it matter so much which order the wads are played? All approved wads will get streamed.

Edited by Anthropophagus89

I skipped to the part where Joel was talking about Godzilla and my interest for him instantly skyrocketed. The only Vinesauce channel I watched was Vinny, but seeing that Joel is a fan of both Doom and Godzilla (like myself) makes me surprised. I need to watch some of his videos.

9 hours ago, Anthropophagus89 said:

Ffs do any of you read the thread? Like.. at all?

The thread is now over 15 pages long and has lasted for months.....

22 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

The thread is now over 15 pages long and has lasted for months.....

I've mentioned it several times though. Sorry but it bugs me when people spread false information because eventually it becomes the truth.

4 hours ago, Anthropophagus89 said:

I've mentioned it several times though. Sorry but it bugs me when people spread false information because eventually it becomes the truth.

Contests typically dont take months to complete. I'm sorry, but i've said it once and ill say it again, the management of this contest was done poorly. Joel should have been through basically all the maps by now, instead of worrying about one stream a week or w/e

On 10/12/2018 at 11:57 PM, Bauul said:

According to Joel at the end of the stream, looks like @Dragonfly's map will be one of first two played next stream! 

This sadly was not the case, and I stayed up till 3.30am, immediately after going to a concert (read: I was very exhausted) to watch it too. :(

8 hours ago, Phade102 said:

Contests typically dont take months to complete. I'm sorry, but i've said it once and ill say it again, the management of this contest was done poorly. Joel should have been through basically all the maps by now, instead of worrying about one stream a week or w/e

Agreed. What annoys me even more is that since this is the second contest he should have learned from experience since last time. Granted he did impose a "1 map per user" rule this time, but anybody and their dog could have told him that people would just cheat it by making their maps super long. And indeed, there have been plenty of such maps now.

I bet most people won't even see all or even most of the maps because they are too burned out on all the videos. He has uploaded like 18 parts now with each video being between 1-3 hours long. That's dozens of hours worth of levels, with most of them being merley generic beginner type wads. At this point I honestly think it would be best if he just skipped on next year's contest simply because this one dragged on for too long. Not that he will have a choice on the matter, since the EU's article 13 will come into effect next year anyway, and since Joel lives in Sweden (a EU nation) it's possible this could end his streaming carrier in case Twitch decides to geo block EU nations in response to article 13.

1 hour ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Agreed. What annoys me even more is that since this is the second contest he should have learned from experience since last time. Granted he did impose a "1 map per user" rule this time, but anybody and their dog could have told him that people would just cheat it by making their maps super long. And indeed, there have been plenty of such maps now.

I bet most people won't even see all or even most of the maps because they are too burned out on all the videos. He has uploaded like 18 parts now with each video being between 1-3 hours long. That's dozens of hours worth of levels, with most of them being merley generic beginner type wads. At this point I honestly think it would be best if he just skipped on next year's contest simply because this one dragged on for too long. Not that he will have a choice on the matter, since the EU's article 13 will come into effect next year anyway, and since Joel lives in Sweden (a EU nation) it's possible this could end his streaming carrier in case Twitch decides to geo block EU nations in response to article 13.

To be honest, this contest seems like its dead in the water to begin with. even when joel streams, he streams maybe 3-4 maps and then thats it. Hes not commited to a contest, so I wouldn't have any faith in a third one next year. its frankly frustrating, i've seen some of the maps (Like dragonflys) and I know just exactly what people are missing. To be honest, the contest should quite literally go through a judging phase where the maps aren't played on stream, and then only the top 50 or so actually get streamed. causes a lot less issues.

2 hours ago, Phade102 said:

To be honest, the contest should quite literally go through a judging phase where the maps aren't played on stream, and then only the top 50 or so actually get streamed. causes a lot less issues.

Personally I feel like that method could be flawed since a "best of" is a personal choice and one person's idea of a good map could vary from anothers.

If a doom contest is done again, rather than set a file size limit or anything (maybe keep 1 map), Literally just give all submissions something like a 10-20 minute rule: your wad gets 10 minutes for Joel to play, and at the end if chat wants to see more then it gets maybe another 5-10 minutes. That way anyone can still submit a map but then long bombs that consume 40+ minutes of stream can't do so anymore. More variety of maps in stream, faster stream, only issue is Joel would have to actively remember the time limit.

10 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Personally I feel like that method could be flawed since a "best of" is a personal choice and one person's idea of a good map could vary from anothers.

If a doom contest is done again, rather than set a file size limit or anything (maybe keep 1 map), Literally just give all submissions something like a 10-20 minute rule: your wad gets 10 minutes for Joel to play, and at the end if chat wants to see more then it gets maybe another 5-10 minutes. That way anyone can still submit a map but then long bombs that consume 40+ minutes of stream can't do so anymore. More variety of maps in stream, faster stream, only issue is Joel would have to actively remember the time limit.

I dont feel its needed at all. if there is another vinesauce contest, it needs to take priority. there needs to be MORE contest streams and less random crap, if you cant commit to a contest, then dont do the contest at all.

52 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

I disagree. It's subjective what counts as a great map, but I would argue it's easy to agree on what is basically a mediocre generic beginner map. They should cut those out.

And even if he gave all these maps only 5-10 min at most by default that's STILL a ton of time. And the long maps arne't bad in many cases anyway defeating the point.

so let me get this straight, joel should, for a few weeks, abandon every other viewer of his and cater just to a subset and do the same thing and play nothing but doom wads until they're all ground out? Sounds like a perfect way to burn out. I'll take a weekly stream if I'm honest. 2 weeks was pushing it, and the lack of any consistency for the first contest was extremely frustrating, but overall I like one stream a week. it means there's still a decent stream of doom shit while every other one of joel's audiences can still be catered to.

It'd be great if he streamed once a week like he said he would, but ultimately he should go at a pace where he's able to give each wad its fair share of his fresh and jovial attention. That "random crap" that he streams is his bread and butter. Doom is (and should be) a fraction of his content. If he played nothing but Doom until all the wads were done, he'd be miserable, no wads would get their fair shakes, no one would have any fun.

Joel is doing fine. It doesn't really matter how long the contest takes. Yeah, there should have been a time limit per wad in the rules, which is something I said earlier in the thread. But there wasn't, so this is the world we live in.

1 hour ago, InsanityBringer said:

so let me get this straight, joel should, for a few weeks, abandon every other viewer of his and cater just to a subset and do the same thing and play nothing but doom wads until they're all ground out? Sounds like a perfect way to burn out. I'll take a weekly stream if I'm honest. 2 weeks was pushing it, and the lack of any consistency for the first contest was extremely frustrating, but overall I like one stream a week. it means there's still a decent stream of doom shit while every other one of joel's audiences can still be catered to.

As I said. if you cant commit to a contest, dont do a contest. And no, i'm not saying abandon all his viewers. but 2 doom streams a week would be preferable to this 'possible' one stream a week thats currently going on. and, ill admit it, most of the maps hes done have been beginniner stuff that quite frankly wouldnt need to be shown. Its harsh, I know, but if you want to run a contest, you prioritise it. you dont just go off and do other things while doing the judging do you?

It's his stream, his contest, etc. He never said he would complete the submissions quickly or devote all of his attention to the contest. And anybody who watches his streams (the target demographic of the contest) knows he does a variety of stuff, not just one game at a time.