Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TakenStew22

Super Shotgun is the best shotgun in video game history.

35 minutes ago, termrork said:

although I agree I want to mention half-life's shotgun

I second this, or HL2's more exactly, both the design and especially the sounds, and then the original from HL1. Black Mesa's is pretty awesome too but I've always felt the barrels of the current version are too short and the weapon itself a bit too large.

9 minutes ago, Nevander said:

FEAR's VK-12 Combat Shotgun.

God, I need to get F.E.A.R. sometime. Sad that Warner Brothers locked the game behind a bundle on Steam.

Yea sucks how they did that. Before you could buy it standalone as the "Ultimate Shooter Edition." Damned money grubbers!

27 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Black Mesa's is pretty awesome too but I've always felt the barrels of the current version are too short and the weapon itself a bit too large.

My thoughts exactly, It would have been much better if they drew inspiration from the HD Pack Shotgun but considering how hostile CC is towards feedback and how much they want to stick to their own vision of a Remake it'll likely never happen, this one looks slightly better IMO.

Spoiler

ce81d5a757.jpg

12 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

My thoughts exactly, It would have been much better if they drew inspiration from the HD Pack Shotgun but considering how hostile CC is towards feedback and how much they want to stick to their own vision of a Remake it'll likely never happen, this one looks slightly better IMO.

Hide contents

ce81d5a757.jpg

Those pics, you mean the Classic Weapons pack by Juniez & co. ? Yeah, that stuff is simply stellar. I wouldn't say taking inspiration from the HD pack would've been a good idea in this case though, mostly for consistency reasons, and as you can see that pack reeks of "ORIGINAL HALF-LIFE" yet it's so, so good.

As for feedback, actually I think CC really does take it into consideration, definitely more than the average devs, but they also draw a line where they already have a vision set in stone, such as Xen, or On a Rail. Damned On A Rail, that chapter will always be the weakest part of the game for me, it was so complex with plenty of optional but rather tense areas in the original, and look at what we get. Can't believe no one inside CC feels that OAR in its current state is unnaturally short lol.

5 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

I wouldn't say that taking inspiration from the HD pack would've been a good idea in this case, as you can see that pack is so classic yet so, so good.

The HD Shotgun is actually one of the few redeeming points of the HD Pack, But I definitely wouldn't mind a more Classic-inspired design for the Shotgun.

1 minute ago, tempdecal.wad said:

The HD Shotgun is actually one of the few redeeming points of the HD Pack, But I definitely wouldn't mind a more Classic-inspired design for the Shotgun.

I'm also really digging the M16, and the HECU being equipped with it is much, much more appropriate imo. I don't really mind the HD pack but neither prefer it over the originals, mostly due to its bugs as opposed to its design. The HD Shotgun looks great but the cock sounds are ear raping to me. Not just unpleasant but too loud as well, I think.

Gotta love the UT99 Flak Cannon.

And do Doom mods count? Russian Overkill deserves some mentions.

The WSTE-M5 Combat Shotgun from Marathon 2 is easily better than the SSG. Dealing 200 to 240 damage in a single shot at a similar firing rate to Doom's single shotgun (made even faster by dual wielding) with tighter pellet spread, it completely outclasses the SSG. Also, it has probably the most awesome reload animation for a shotgun ever.

http://traxus.bungie.org/index.php/Shotgun

I can’t think of a single FPS with a PVP / deathmatch mode featuring a gun as satisfying to use on another person as the SSG. Just one frag after another, all in quick succession, each shot sounding off with a powerful BOOM and punctuated by that beautiful wooden click-clock-clack as you reload. Just talking about it is giving me a half-chub..

Has anyone ever managed to improve the SSG by changing either the sprite, the sounds, or the mechanics?

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

Has anyone ever managed to improve the SSG by changing either the sprite, the sounds, or the mechanics?

I don’t know if it’s better so to speak but I enjoy the ‘crunch’ that exec.wad adds to the sounds

8 hours ago, Memfis said:

has anyone ever managed to improve any doom weapon?

I suppose it is, what with the cool sound effects and three shells worth of damage from two fired... If we ignore:

• The Boneduster (Bulletstorm - a quad-barrelled shotgun with a secondary fire that essentially vapourises everything in front of you)
  • The Half-Life series shotguns, with their high damage output and secondary fire double shot, combining the functionality of the standard shotgun and SSG, effectively
  • The Flak Cannon from the Unreal series, which is functionally a shotgun, but scaled up and with a flak grenade alt fire
  • The Automatic Shotgun from Wolfenstein: The New Order, which has ridiculous power, is (as the name implies) fully automatic, a shrapnel mode alt-fire and can be dual-wielded (mixing and matching firing modes as seen fit), whilst also being huge and chunky
  • The Shockhammer from Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, which is an alternating fire double barrelled shotgun that functions similarly to the above and still allows dual-wielding
  • The Schockhammer X from Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, which is more of the same, but with a rotary, three-barrelled firing mechanism which can be set to fire triple shots... Also can be dual-wielded with basically anything else in the game
  • The Hammergewehr, also from Wolfenstein: TNC, which is a four-barrelled shotgun turret that can be dismounted and used to turn everything in front of you into pulp for a very long time
  • The AA-12 from the various games it's featured in, which tends to be hilariously powerful
  • SPAS-12 with Dragon's Breath from Call of Duty: Black Ops - it's a shotgun with flaming rounds
  • The Shotgun in Painkiller - Powerful up close, very fast firing and has a freezing alt-fire that combines well with the main firing mode

And that's just off the top of my head.