Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

2 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

I've tried PrBoom+, but the mouse feels really bad, even after much fiddling with sensitivity.

Try low sensitivity with higher acceleration. It felt pretty near vanilla for me.

There is also a difference between how the mouse feels in version 2.5.1.4 and 2.5.1.5. I know a lot of people didn't like the .5 changes but I got used to them. Try both releases to see if one feels better.

4 hours ago, Rimantas said:

Try low sensitivity with higher acceleration. It felt pretty near vanilla for me.

Wow, disabling mouse acceleration fixed the problem completely. Nice.

Do people still not know how to disable mouse acceleration in Windows (also assuming that most people are using Windows)? Although i guess it really depends on which Windows you use as i'm assuming most people are using 10 (i don't know much about 10 as i use 7). But a quick google search should be able to help. Now if it's about mouse accel or mouse options in a specific source port then that's a different story as i too have had trouble finding and understanding all of the options at one time or another. I guess you could just check the wiki for that specific port (if it has one) or ask here. But so far in my (sort of) short time using PrBoom+ and GLBoom+ i haven't had any issues with my mouse sensitivity.

Here are my current favorites as well:

*PrBoom+/GLBoom+ - I seem to like GLBoom+ a tad better (even though it tends to be darker imo). Both are great for vanilla gameplay and demo playback. Currently using these for main Doom play (Boom/Vanilla)

*GZDoom - Great for anything ZDoom based and/or playing Doom w/mods. Currently using the latest vintage build on an older computer that i have. I use it for ZDoom based WADs and the very few times i ever play mods on my main PC (latest modern build).

*Chocolate Doom - Pretty much as vanilla as you can get without playing on DOS. I use this occasionally but it does tend to hurt my eyes on a high res monitor.

*Crispy Doom - Limit removing port based off of Chocolate Doom. Slightly higher res, has more menu options ect). I use it occasionally.

On 10/13/2018 at 2:07 PM, Rimantas said:

Choom (Chocolate Doom) 2.3.0 only! 3.0.0 have little worse sound quality.

Choco Doom 3 actually has "better" sound quality. In earlier versions SDL would naively upsample sound effects to 44 khz which resulted in spurious "ringing" and high frequency artifacts. Choco Doom 3 used a new version of SDL that actually runs a low pass filter on the upscaled sound so those high frequencies don't appear. When you do an A/B test it makes the newer version sound "muddy" but it is purely a resampling artifact, just like how a port could show the raw 320x200 image or it could show a bilinear-upsampled image. They both technically represent the same information, but one is "harsher" and one is "smoother" and it's ultimately a judgment call as to which you prefer.

On 10/13/2018 at 5:07 PM, Rimantas said:

Choom

Hi, as the primary author of Chocolate Doom I'd like to politely request you not call it this.

I recommend using "Choco" instead - it's the same number of letters and lots of people seem to use this as an abbreviation already :)

18 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Hi, as the primary author of Chocolate Doom I'd like to politely request you not call it this.

I recommend using "Choco" instead - it's the same number of letters and lots of people seem to use this as an abbreviation already :)

Ok, chief. Thank you for making this magic source port, it's my favorite!

Chocoom is definitely good for testing stuff. It's what happens when someone takes the meaning of "source port" literally.

33 minutes ago, Phoby said:

ZDoom. I'm a basic bitch.

You mean Gzdoom, right?

7 hours ago, fraggle said:

And then, literally two posts later:

5 hours ago, VGA said:

Chocoom

My next favorite source port (after Choco) is PrBoom+. Runs smooth, looks damn good in 640x480, vanilla accuracy is very high. I use it only for wads that won't run on Choco.

People should give Eternity more love, it is super vanilla compatible, it has an excellent renderer and advanced modding features. From what I can tell, it has basically the same demo recording+playback features as prboom+ ... and unlike prboom+, it is actively developed

12 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

I have tried Eternity. It ran not very smooth on my laptop.

It should run fine in your system really. It's not like PrBoom+ but it has some neat features. Want some example? Try the map called Mothership, exclusive for this port.

I just tried Eternity again. It runs almost perfectly, but sometimes i feel it could run just very little smoother. What i like most in Eternity is equalizer, i didn't see it in any other source port. It can sound as good as Choco. Ok, from now Eternity is my secondary source port. :)

Like I said, Eternity for me feels a bit sluggish when turning with Vsync enabled, not to mention I had to blast sensitivity up to 30. I have encountered such Vsync problems in other ports, like Doom Retro but they got fixed there. GZDoom is the golden standard for smooth as fuck input by the way. IMO.

(And I don't understand why they don't have WASD controls and Novert On by default.)

I turn off Vsync in all games/source ports in first place. Yeah, mouse sensitivity was little difficult to set up, but Choco acceleration helped alot.

10 minutes ago, VGA said:

(And I don't understand why they don't have WASD controls and Novert On by default.)

Because the original classic vanilla Doom (1993) defaults weren't WASD.

The topic of setting WASD as the default comes up regularly on the ZDoom dev forums, but it's usually shot down fast because it conflicts with cheat keys (if A and D are movement keys, then cheat codes like "iddqd" and "idkfa" will result in unwanted movements) and with some of the default keys from other supported games (IIRC the W key brings up the weapon screen in Strife).

First user experience running Eternity: Huh, I can't move?  Why is the mouse so slow, wait ... I am supposed to move back and forth with the mouse? User goes into the controls, puts WASD instead of commas and dots or whatever are the defaults for strafing, then searches for the mouse sensitivity slider, oh you have to type values for X and Y sensitivity as you test them. And how do I make the mouse not move me? It's the option called "Novert emulation"!

Novert emulation, of course. Because the user is supposed to know about some DOS era TSR program called novert.com lmao ... that legit made me smile!

GZDoom - Not my go-to, but it's essential for mods and ZDoom-only maps. Has a tendency to stutter on my machine, too. I'm not gonna limit myself though. There's too much fun to be had! Also, good luck playing things like Nuts on a source port with infinite actor height.

PrBoom+ - Vanilla gameplay with widescreen support, and uncapped framerate. Runs with no hiccups. What's not to love? Oh yeah, it's no longer being developed. Boo. I don't really like how GLBoom+ looks either. It just kinda sits there. The menus are a little convoluted. I understand that they allow for a lot of customization, but I find myself not paying attention to most of it.

Crispy Doom - Now we're talkin. Runs beautifully, simplified menus, and has my favorite HUD of the 3. You really notice a difference when you turn up the "crispness" too. Nice! I wish it supported widescreen, but considering it's a fork of Chocolate Doom, I understand why it doesn't. It's updated all the time.

I use Chocolate Strife, Chocolate Heretic, and Chocolate Hexen too. I love playing those games as they were originally released.

Tried a bunch of other source ports and felt no reason to keep them.

Edited by NerdyButLazy

It clearly depends on the OS of the machine i'm using.

For DOS its legacy or (pr)boom

For Windows it is Doomsday or zdoom (when the gpu sucks)

For *nix it is prboom, or gzdoom

4 hours ago, NerdyButLazy said:

I wish it supported widescreen

Same here.

I actually think I prefer Crispy to Choco because you can disable smooth scaling and it fits to screen, I'm sure there's a way to configure Choco to disable smooth scaling and fit to screen, but I haven't found it yet.

I've no idea if I've been here before, but... my favorite port is going to be PrBoom+, followed by GZDoom (pretty awesome what can be done with it), and Crispy. PrBoom+ is perfect for a vanilla experience and it has just the right amount of features to feel modern enough, + its complevels. Not a big fan of the flat lightning of GlBoom+ though.

I've tried a few others but they never quite cut it for me, such as Retro and Choco (the latter only because the vanilla resolution is screwing my eyes).

5 hours ago, NerdyButLazy said:

PRBoom+ - Vanilla gameplay with widescreen support, and uncapped framerate. Runs with no hiccups. What's not to love? Oh yeah, it's no longer being developed.

Is that even true though? I see people keep mentioning this but so far I have not seen a trustworthy source saying it has ceased development. 

16 minutes ago, DepravedDiptera said:

Same here.

I actually think I prefer Crispy to Choco because you can disable smooth scaling and it fits to screen, I'm sure there's a way to configure Choco to disable smooth scaling and fit to screen, but I haven't found it yet.

I definitely prefer Crispy to Choco. I appreciate Choco for what it is, but improved visuals don't hurt anything.

3 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

I see people keep mentioning this but so far I have not seen a trustworthy source saying it has ceased development. 

According to this the last update was May 2017 with 2.5.1.5.  I'm not sure why it would continuously need updates.  It's not like GZDoom where features are regularly broken or removed when wads do something Graf doesn't like.

2 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Is that even true though? I see people keep mentioning this but so far I have not seen a trustworthy source saying it has ceased development. 

To be fair, I'm speculating. Maybe I'm being pessimistic. Maybe there's no reason to update it. I don't know. Almost 3 years feels like a long time though.. *sigh*