Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lobo

Co-op and BFGs

Just a couple of things that're bugging me lately:

1) I would love to play a Co-op match of Doom. Why are there never Zdaemon co-op servers?

2) What is your opinion about use of the BFG in Deathmatch? Should it be banned or is it an essential part of DM play?

1) There is a few, but with the lag and the chances that some lamer will join to disrupt play (possibly forcing the admin to set "no friendly fire damage" which kind of messes up play) coop servers are few. I saw two running yesterday, I think. Most coop servers usually have silly settings anyway...

2) Pffft. Are you seriously asking something like this? The BFG is only a bit more powerful than the SSG and the Plasma Rifle, and sometimes less so. People that don't like it usually set up weird servers with mouselook, jumping, and other anomalous settings anyway. They can stay in those, if they wish.

there's enough crap about the BFG in deathmatch floating around Doomcenter and zdaemon forums. If you wanna cry about the bfg, don't play doom anymore. It's just as fair as any other weapon, with it's own strengths and weaknesses. Don't like BFG lamers? play on maps without the BFG. Problem solved.

dude the BFG isnt THAT powerful even when used correctly- ive never seen someone ban it and ill never understand why

Well, admittedly, BFG9000 is one of the most powerful weapons and the most creative weapon ever created by idsoftware in the entire FPS gaming history.

The BFG is strong and can kill dozens of people at a time! Except that it's the SLOWEST weapon in the game. When you aim at someone and shoot, they're usually out of your sight (or you're dead) by the time it comes around to fire.

I recorded a good DM demo (MAP01, first to 25) one-on-one with Legacy not long ago. We used the BFG a couple times, but mostly plasma/SSG. The only good BFG shot was when my opponent ran around a corner and randomly fired and I just happened to be standing there. Otherwise it's too easy to jump behind a pillar.

It's basically the same as any other weapon if you think about it. It has pros and cons like anything else.

The BFG can only kill ONE person with it's green ball, other deaths can only come from secondary fire.

1]Dont know.
2}BFG's nead ot be banned. There some people out thre that depend on them to get frags. They are annoying and just to damn easy to kill with. There si no effort put forth.

If you think the BFG should be banned and is too easy to kill people with, you're not very good of a player to start with. =) It's so easy to kill someone before they can even get a shot off or just hide behind a wall and be out of their sight.

In low-skill playing (all players suck at deathmatching) environment the plasma gun owns the other weapons. Using the BFG is so much about perfect timing that rookies are better off practicing the rudimentaries first.

Doom_Child said:

1]Dont know.
2}BFG's nead ot be banned. There some people out thre that depend on them to get frags. They are annoying and just to damn easy to kill with. There si no effort put forth.

So, what I can understand, you don't like bfg?. IT IS PART OF DOOM!, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, GO PLAY COUNTER-STRIKE.

The BFG should not be banned. It's not like all the maps are full of them is it? There's usually only one per map, and there's loads of battles with other weapons between the BFG massacres. If anyone can't take being wiped out with a BFG then they shouldn't be playing Doom - they should go off and play one of the other millions of online deathmatch games (I suggest Unreal Tournament, although the Redeemer in that is probably as deadly as the BFG in Doom, but it's cool because you can use the mouse to guide it, and make it explode wherever you like). Anyway, the only people that should be counted as BFG Lamers are the people that constantly run for the BFG as soon as they respawn, and then fire it about randomly, without a clue how to use it properly.

Edit: Yeah, or go and play one of the Half-Life mods, such as Counter-Strike, like Torn said, that doesn't have any massacre weapons.

For the most I play without bfg...
But if people are using bfg, I use bfg... and the bfg is not that powerful...

BFG is easy to dodge :p admittidly, its powerful in FFA, but do FFA's really count to anyone? heh, personally, I dont go crying when i lose an FFA or anything :)
And people can use BFG all they want in DM, if they get it, good luck hitting me with it, i wish u the best of luck doing so :) not like u get alot of chances to heh u only get 5 BFG balls, (10 if u get plasma afterwards)

heh, threads like this keep popping up on most doom forums. If you think the BFG is unfair and too powerful in 1on1, you desperately suck and need to get a clue about the mechanics of the weapon. In FFA it's strong, but hey, it's equal for everyone, just join in on the spam fest.

I dont really care About the BFG I think its just another gun I think the Plasma gun is alot better i kill alot more people with that than the BFG but thats just me.

I dont mind playing with the BFG, but it can be really frustrating getting toasted 10 times in a row in a matter of minutes because of it. I think many BFG complaints come from people who play on full servers, where half the people are carying the BFG at any given time. Play a game against only 3 or 4 people. They may still use it, but it wont mean instant death every time you respawn.

Edit: I think some people also become "addicted" to it. I must admit, its a great feeling the first time you wipe out 2-4 people with such ease. Maybe some people cant get over this.

They can't get over getting more frags in a DM game? Oh no!!!!!

when someone kills me with the BFG i get real mad, especially if they pull some incredibly-timed-round-the-corner shot. but you know, it motivates me even more. theres nothing much more humiliting than getting mushed off a high area (doom2 map15) and flying off for miles.
when i hear that BFG sound, i run for cover and get ready for a counterattack. i love to kill with it, hated to be killed by it.
PS. give Lobo a break

myk said:

They can't get over getting more frags in a DM game? Oh no!!!!!

Meaning that they may be more skilled than they realize, but are afraid to ever try playing for very long without using the BFG.

Assmaster said:

I dont mind playing with the BFG, but it can be really frustrating getting toasted 10 times in a row in a matter of minutes because of it.

Cummon, does that ever actually happen? You can only get hit more than a couple of times in a row if you dive straight towards the BFG ball, or you don't understand the second shot properly, so you think you're standing out of the blast when you stand behind a player that's fired and turned round.

Assmaster said:

I think some people also become "addicted" to it.

True, that does get annoying. If someone uses nothing but the BFG the game just gets boring.

it's important to make a distinction between 2 players and 3+ players. With 2 players the BFG is perfectly balanced and is no more powerful than the other weapons. With more players the game gets chaotic and there is no longer possible to dodge all the incoming BFG blasts constantly. The BFG is overpowered with many players, but it's equal for everyone. If you dont want BFG spam in ffa, play a non-BFG map.

Assmaster said:

Meaning that they may be more skilled than they realize, but are afraid to ever try playing for very long without using the BFG.

Most of the people that use the BFG, even the spammers, usually use it when it benefits them. Otherwise, too bad the one or two people who might not. This cannot be the basis for a complaint against the BFG in any way. Actually, it's much more common for people to stick to the SSG solely as a weapon than to the BFG, possibly not learning to use other weapons effectively: This goes especially with the BFG, which is harder to use well than other weapons, generally, since silencing it or learning to discharge it against walls to use the cone effectively (measuring the time of the blast properly and facing the right way), is less obvious than with other weapons, that are generally just a question of simple aiming at targets.

The BFG is pretty poweful per se, but in the hands of a skilled user it is much, much more destructive.