Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

If Doomworld had to change its name to something without the word "Doom" in the title, what would it be?

Is bfg.net taken? I see bfg.com redirects to the bf Goodrich site so that's taken unfortunately. Anyway here are some more ideas:

shoresofhell.com/.net

phoboslab.net (.com is already taken)

Disworld.com

thechasm.com

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

Waddb similar to modbb or is it taken?

bfgcentral maybe

WadDB.com is taken, but wadDB.net is available. 

Others that are available according to Who.Is:

• D.world
  • DWorld.net
  • DmWrld.com
  • IWad.net
  • Wads.com
  • DWads.com
  • WorldOfWads.com
  • KneeDeepInWads.com
  • WadDepot.com

• WadWorld.net

• WadDomain.com

• WadsAndMods.com

• Map01.net
  • HurtMePlenty.com (actually... maybe not)
  • Cyberdemon.com
  • SoulSphere.com
  • DoomedWorld.net
  • DoomedWads.com

I know the title requested no "Doom" names, but would "Doomed" be ok? It's different enough I think.

Edited by Bauul

IWad.net sounds a good one. 

I think the title does need "wad" in it, it need to be recognisable. Map names won't work as well I don't think.

What a conundrum :-(  

27 minutes ago, Bauul said:

WadDB.com is taken, but wadDB.net is available.

Eh, but I suppose waddb.net wouldn't be very appropriate either since it's too similar to moddb anyway. Perhaps my other suggestions would be better in this case.

CaconicCreativity.com presents Cacowards, sounds good to me.

Edited by FrenchGuy

Maybe just short it into dmworld.com? Or even dw.com? But I guess it's not solution. It sucks that random words can be copyrighted and trademarked in this damn place. 

17 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Maybe just short it into dmworld.com? Or even dw.com? 

Neither of those are available unfortunately. 

I'd suggest sticking to .com only, screw other gtld's - If you're not .com, you're not legit. :P

There's been a few great suggestions, as cheesey as it is, Waddicted really stood out as one of the 'winners' to me.

40 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I'd suggest sticking to .com only, screw other gtld's - If you're not .com, you're not legit. :P

As the proud owner of the sheer modern powerhouse that is doomshack.net/.org... I can confirm this to be 100% accurate.

D!world has my vote. Boomworld is also a good one, though it looks like it was vulture’d at some point and is being held hostage for a several-thousand dollar ransom, just like what happened with doomshack.com and zdaemon.com and so forth.

Four pages of suggestions and the obvious choice is missing? I'm going to assume there was an entire page worth of posts suggesting impse.com that got purged.

A cheeky pick that retains "world" would be SpiritWorld, but that's probably too obscure for plebes. And taken. And so is HugeGuts.com, damn.

Anyway, why not solve any possible objections inhouse with fraggle and buy, like, soulsphere.com?

I think iddqd.com is not much usable since there are two sites with this names (iddqd.ru and iddqd.cz) it would be confusing. I think the best idea is to have some sort of phobos, tei tenga uac or monsters words in the domain name. It should be catchy and easily recognizable as doom dedicated forum.

Damn. I didn't know this thread was that serious. Sorry about your troubles Linguica.

Anyway, my suggestions on the first page seem about alright.

13 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

UACworld or Demonworld.

cacodemons.com doesn't appear to be taken, and the name "cacodemon" isn't copyrighted (since the term itself means evil demon or spirit).

I understood this thread to be preemptive, so I guess everything's fine for now. But the thought about a name change really scares me, especially when it hits a site that was founded in 1998. Corporate greed, gotta love it!

Other than that there are some really funny and good (sometimes both!) suggestions here and I would love to see kind of a poll, to really get a feeling for what most people would prefer.

hellonearth.com

EDIT: oh, there is a site with that URL

So:

houseofcyberdemon.com, cacoworld.com, imp.com, greenandpissed.com

@dew

yes SpiritWorld - would be cool!

Edited by Teder

1 hour ago, Ichor said:

cacodemons.com doesn't appear to be taken, and the name "cacodemon" isn't copyrighted (since the term itself means evil demon or spirit).

HissyHouse.com?

1 hour ago, elend said:

[...]Corporate greed, gotta love it!

[...]

Provided IT IS the corporate greed, I'd say it would be pretty cruel and paradoxical of them, considering Marty Stratton gave once a positive shoutout to Doomworld community.

Maybe... KneeDeepOnTheNet(.com)?

6 minutes ago, HexaDoken said:

Dooomworld.com

So you read what I just wrote and then decided to test me by posting this. Well, that's one poster down.

Because this is still in effect, The next person to post a domain name with "Doom" in it or one they have not bothered to check if it is already taken will be banned.