Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

If Doomworld had to change its name to something without the word "Doom" in the title, what would it be?

Based on precedent you could go for an item (like soulsphere.org), a cheat (iddqd.ru), or an enemy (mancubus.net). Outside of that I'm not sure would be a good call that still has the name recognition of being tied to Doom, whilst not mentioning the trademark directly.

18 minutes ago, Michael92 said:

Provided IT IS the corporate greed, I'd say it would be pretty cruel and paradoxical of them, considering Marty Stratton gave once a positive shoutout to Doomworld community.

Maybe... KneeDeepOnTheNet(.com)?

The thing is, unfortunately not always does one person represent a whole company and especially not a legal department.

(Except he is the head of the legal department, of course)

Talking about levelnames, subforums can also use alternative names from levels instead, aren't they?

Doom General - Entryway

WADs and Mods - The Waste Tunnels

Doom Editing - Phobos Lab

Console Doom - Computer Station

Source Ports - Refueling Base

Doom Multiplayer - Gotcha

Doom Eternal - The Living End

Doom 2016 - The Spirit World

Doom 3 - Monster Condo

Doom Speed Demos - Pandemonium

Creative Works - Tricks and Traps

Eternity - Tower of Babel

Freedoom - Phobos Anomaly

Everything Else - The Pit

Doomworld News - Spawning Vats

I really liked StormCatcher77's variant doomnation.com (do not ban me, it's just quote). 

My variants:

startan.com

shell(s)world.com

marineworld.com

hardfate.com

idforum.com

pwads.com

pwadworld.com

1 minute ago, Nancsi said:

Talking about levelnames, subforums can also use alternative levelnames instead, aren't they?

Doom General - Entryway

WADs and Mods - The Waste Tunnels

Doom Editing - Phobos Lab

Console Doom - Computer Station

Source Ports - Refueling Base

Doom Multiplayer - Gotcha

Doom Eternal - The Living End

Doom 2016 - The Spirit World

Doom 3 - Monster Condo

Doom Speed Demos - Pandemonium

Creative Works - Tricks and Traps

Eternity - Tower of Babel

Freedoom - Phobos Anomaly

Everything Else - The Pit

Doomworld News - Spawning Vats

I reckon it'd make more sense if each one was correlated to what each subforum offers.

For example, Doom 2016 could be 'The Foundry' or 'Titan's  Realm'

If forced to do so at gunpoint, I'd go for something alluding to the word 'Doom'. "Damnation.com" seems taken by a squatter; "DamnationCentral.com" is still free. I've tried other Doom-terminology stuff for size, eg. "intermission.com" but that just doesn't have the same oompf.

Seems cacowad.com isn't taken, unless I'm wrong or cyberwad.com . Cyberdemons and cacodemons are the most recognisable monsters for me and for most players. 

Since this site relates to more than just doom, but heretic and hexen too, maybe a site like 'idrealms' or something? idworld? i think it'd work.

"Eat shit zenimax and/or bethesda .com"

Some serious suggestions that seem to be vacant: cacowards.com, straferun.com, bossbrain.com, mooworld.com (because cybers, obv), vertexes.com, inferno.com, cyberdemon.com...

What about www.visplaneoverflow.com? Sure, it's obscure and nerdy, but so are we (mostly). Plus, it sounds good with just about any domain suffix.

@fraggle Just so you know, that game Megasphere is just an indie game. I doubt they'll try to shut us down for the domain.

@Linguica I'm really sorry that this thread, and situation, has been such a source of frustration for you.

Cacoworld.com or maybe techone.com, a reference to id tech 1, the later codename for the doom engine. It's probably taken already by something else though.

16 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

DeadSimple.com

I think of all the suggestions, this the one i like the most, so i second this one

12 hours ago, Job said:

What about iddqd.com? I think in context with the concerns you laid out earlier, it's a snappy retort. It appears to not be in use, but it may be getting camped on, which probably isn't much of an improvement. idtech.one is good too. 

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry about the shitheel post earlier. I didn't realize how serious the topic was until I read your post on the second page.

You'll confuse the site with iddqd.ru, which is a Russian Doom fan site that has its own forum and own community. So no.

Cacoworld is nice to be put on a list, as previously mentioned in the thread. It sounds related to a "Doom-fan community" and keeps the domain name short and simple.