Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Why do Christians hate DOOM?

Greetings, I'm a Christian and I don't hate Doom at all. Hard to feel personally or religiously attacked by evil monsters from a made up fantasy universe.

Edited by EtherBot

Why Christian's hate DOOM?

How can a Christian 'see' him/her self? Is that maybe the underlying problem with this kind of question?

But maybe there is a not-Christian way to answer your question. That isn't wrong, Right?

So, I guess it's pretty obvious that this is just a rhetorical question.

Meh

15 minutes ago, EtherBot said:

Greetings, I'm a Christian and I don't hate Doom at all. Hard to feel personally or religiously attacked by evil monsters from a made up fantasy universe.

And let's not forget that in the magical world of Doom, monsters come from Mars and not Hell.  :D

19 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Honestly, I wonder why Christians hate DOOM. DOOM is about killing demons from hell. HELL. The one place they resent the most. I understand they seem to hate violence and whatnot, but they are the same people who believe that Satan is trying to brainwash the media. Honestly, there should be a HUGE exception for DOOM.

Maybe there's something I'm not understanding (I'm 99% sure this is the case) Because A. I'm a dumbass, B. I'm not Christian, and C. I've never read a bible in my life!

The only Christians who tend to hate Doom anymore are the loudmouth preacher "holier than thou" types.  The average Christian doesn't care and gets on with his or her life.  

3 hours ago, Chezza said:

@Mr.Rocket The OP made an obnoxious comment against religion in another thread of his. I believe he is a young person who is anti religion and assumes most people share the same viewpoints.

I am 17 years old, I am not anti-religion, I just do not understand religion very much.

I don't get this topic. ALL and ONLY Christians hates Doom? All other religions people does not hate Doom? Why the hell you put religion here?

59 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

I am 17 years old, I am not anti-religion, I just do not understand religion very much.

Religions exist for many reasons.  Some use them for power and control.  Some view them as a way of explaining human nature.  Some view them as a code of conduct / morality for themselves and others.  For the Abrahamic religions (Christians, Jews, and Muslims), that moral authority is God.  I can't speak for the Eastern faiths, although I do know that some sects of Buddhism worship various incarnations of Buddha, while Hindus have multiple gods.  

Speaking up again...

One aspect I don't like about Doom is the modding community's confusion over what these concepts really are.  I said before that at its very worst, Doom is very misleading, and attempts to redefine the concepts of Hell, the Devil, and the demons and the damned.  We have "half-demon" hybrids, the Unwilling (those "possessed" against their will), H-Doom (sexual intercourse with "demons"), and the ever overly overt and simplistic "goal" of Hell to just kill as many people as possible, for some reason.  We have the damned and the doomed able to escape from Hell, somehow.  We have fan concepts for demons being able to have a conscience and decide to "switch" over to the other side and we have people "becoming" demons in order to kill their enemies (which really begs the question... "How can Satan drive out Satan?" - Matthew 12:26).

All of this is false and cannot happen.

This is why, in my eyes, if such a world exists, then that world is not Hell, and those monsters that reside in that world are not Demons.  At the very worst, those creatures could really be better described as "Satanist Extraterrestrials".

A lot of people on both sides of this discussion seem to miss the fact that Doom is more of a great metaphor for life in general.  They focus more on the corruption and the occult... the demonic and the unholy.  Some even cheapen the idea of Heaven, saying that it's possible for the Devil to invade Heaven and possibly destroy it.  They redefine what "good" and "bad" mean.  One side is against Doom because of these things, and the other side very much enjoys furthering and intensifying such concepts (typically for some cheap form of shock value in the guise of a decent story).  So many people like the idea of one man being able to destroy Satan once and for all, as people just want the conflict to end... but they forget, or do not know, or even wish to deny, that Satan is the second-most powerful being in all of existence, though nowhere close to God in his power.

From where these assumptions coming out?

I remember one of these evangelical conspiracy nuts video about Doom 2016, but i didn't ever knew there's such hatred for this game.

Do you have any evidence to refute this theory of yours? Like a video, a blog article, some comments from facebook or other social site about Christians hating Doom?

For card games like Yu-Gi-Oh and i think pokemon too, television programs, pop songs and other stuff that i don't remember right now, that's another story that i know quite well.

8 hours ago, MINDDomakr said:

Because they believe the flying man in the sky won't grant them access through the fictitious pearly gates when they die. They hate anything that's fun.

You know, there is no living being that actually knows about the existence of God, or hell, or the afterlife.

So to openly mock God is just about the most incredibly stupid thing anyone could do. How does reality taste now?

5 hours ago, kb1 said:

You know, there is no living being that actually knows about the existence of God, or hell, or the afterlife.

Please elaborate.

9 minutes ago, DoomKrakken said:

Please elaborate.

I think his point was that there's no person who can definitively say what happens when you die because all the people who experienced it are dead.

NDErs say that your mind is more powerful on the other side, when you first go there there's a place void of anything and the place is unfamiliar and can be scary to people who never heard of it before, depending on their beliefs and fears from their life they may unwittingly use their mind to manifest a negative experience and it can seem like hell while they are there, they have to "let go" so the illusion of a negative experience dissipates and they are then greeted by ascended loved ones and other light beings including the source (god).

7 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

NDErs say that your mind is more powerful on the other side, when you first go there there's a place void of anything and the place is unfamiliar and can be scary to people who never heard of it before, depending on their beliefs and fears from their life they may unwittingly use their mind to manifest a negative experience and it can seem like hell while they are there, they have to "let go" so the illusion of a negative experience dissipates and they are then greeted by ascended loved ones and other light beings including the source (god).

How do they know that the negative experience is an "illusion" but being greeted by light beings is not?

As a Latter-Day-Saint I find Doom to be very cathartic. I mean, it's a game where you face off against evil forces in order to defend the world from outright destruction.

Your character have a State-of-the-art moral code demostrated by sending his superior into traction when told to shoot at civilians. (Of course you would know that about the slayer if you read the manual.)

Even when he is sent to Mars as punishment, he still is underestimated when told by the other marines to keep the engine warm. He's the sole survivor of that group and his mission is clear armed with only a pistol, his clever wits and his heroic morality: Defeat the forces of evil through any means necessary.

1 hour ago, JudgeDeadd said:

How do they know that the negative experience is an "illusion" but being greeted by light beings is not?

Well what I meant with "let go" is they begin to drop any expectations and accept what comes next, they essentially stop barring themselves from moving forward. By doing so they claimed that they felt a great amount of love flow to them.

I agree with GrayestOdinJim that Doom can be cathartic. I am also a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints.

Though I am grateful that my parents would not let me play Doom until I was a bit older (though I still got to play it whenever I visited my uncle's house, heh.)

As most have pointed out, the majority of Christians likely don't mind Doom or its themes of hell.

I'd say anything a Christian may get offended by would be some custom imagery/textures found in some pwads like Deus Vult 2 for example.

But even that doesn't bother me, it is after all just a video game.

Dude, I hate to break it to you, but I'm a Roman Catholic and I fucking LOVE Doom. At first I used to be one of those religious kids who were afraid of anything that appeared Satanic or mentioned anything that seemed unholy like 666. But as the years passed by, I even thought to myself, "oh what the hell"?, and since then I have gotten into things that religious folks might find to be offensive and blasphemous like Metal music, horror movies, first person shooters, and especially Doom. I don't think any religion should be offended by Doom, as it pretty much showcases a lone man destroying all of Hell. I guess you could say that Doom is a Christian game since you're ridding the world of the evil forces of Hell.

I totally agree, and as I see it VGA had the best answer to this topic, first page 2nd post..

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, VGA said:

This is 2018, noone gives a fuck.

5 minutes ago, El Franko said:

I guess you could say that Doom is a Christian game since you're ridding the world of the evil forces of Hell.

That's what I feel. Id software may not realize it, but they made the best Christian video game of all time!

In my 24 years as a Doom fan, I have not come across a single Christian, either online or in real life, who has hated Doom.

17 hours ago, GrayestOdinJim said:

(Of course you would know that about the slayer if you read the manual.)

And what are Christians good at, if not reading the manual?

Video games are turning our Kids Into Murderers o Noes!

i dont get the christians either,but im sure they have their own ridiculous reason to hate it

I am not religious, but one of my biggest musical influences happens to be christian. And that person is none other than the Doom PSX, Doom 64, and Quake 64 composer himself: Aubrey Hodges. But I can understand the feeling, during the 90's it felt like the religious right was trying to censor everything and was offended by everything. Luckily they didn't represent the majority, just had dis-proportionally loud voices in the media.