Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marlamir

Desecrated Station (Gzdoom Map) Out now! (V6)

OH, i have no idea this exist will rename this soon. Thank you for this info.

edit:

Map is renamed.

Edited by Marlamir

Oh, this looks fabulous! And thanks for hosting it on doomworld forums. This way I can easily download it, since dropbox and google related products are blocked in China. xD I will try this out as soon as I can. Very great work.

Just finished playing this map, I don't usually play maps for gzdoom so it was interesting to see the use of 3d floors for detail, the way this looks (and a bit of how it plays) actually reminded me of those silver techbase maps from cc4, my only complain is that it took a while to get a weapons, pistoling imps and demons can get a bit tedious.

There are a few places were I could walk trough some handrails:

Spoiler

EhbdgxY.png

j4ZYRlk.png

ZXdd4xe.png

IRjRSvM.png

Also, if I press the switches for some of the lifts and then walk off before they rise I don't think I can get back on.

Spoiler

g7B2yw0.png

fYUf2Be.png

I recorded a playthrough up to about halfway through the enemy count, and I hope to finish the map sometime in the next few days. So far I'm enjoying it! It's lovely to look at and the use of 3D is really nice. The health balance feels just right for me, and I've never been at a loss for ammo.

11 hours ago, Forli said:

pistoling imps and demons can get a bit tedious.

Thank you very much for your feedback forli. You are right about the pistol start is bit longer and tedious and while watching meapineapple video i really think i need to be improve the gameplay at start.

There are a few places were I could walk trough some handrails:

I complete forget about them, Thanks i will fix them.

Also, if I press the switches for some of the lifts and then walk off before they rise I don't think I can get back on.

I really think that i should have noticed that and thank you soo much alerting me. i will give them new action so they came back after short while.

@meapineapple Great to hear you having fun. Thank you very much for your awesome video.

Thanks you for you feedbacks, i will go do the changes now. Thanks again.

Good notes:

+ 3D Flooring and Lighting used quite well

+ Armourless Revenants... OwO

Bad Notes:

- Easy to get snagged on the geometry (quite often I try to back up from a monster through a door but get caught by the small detail around the door)

- regular shotgun vs pain elementals and hell knights

- Super shotgun appears spontaniously (seriously I didn't even notice I picked it up due to all the clutter)

7/10

Some of the screenshots sorta remind me of Plutonia. Which is nothing but a good thing - always loved the aesthetics that had going on.

Just downloaded, will give it a spin shortly. c:

Map was updated here are all changes:

Update v2:
Two former humans was replaced by sergeants on starting area.
First shotgun pickup was replaced by green armor
Few textures misalignment fix
Unblocked handrails fix
Two monster stuck fix
automap clean up

@DynamiteKaitorn Thank you for rating, i hope you was having fun.

57 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Easy to get snagged on the geometry

After milions time of playtesting i never face that problems, was it really that bad for you? Where exactly?

- regular shotgun vs pain elementals and hell knights

There are ssg, chaingun, rocket launcher found in map. You really don't need to find them with shotgun if you dont want.

Super shotgun appears spontaniously

Is placed on red platform in middle of water. What more do you want? :p

@MFG38 Hope you going to havr fun :)

Update V3:

Update v3:

Too many secret sectors error (9 instead of 3) fix

Edited by Marlamir

Alright, so I played through the map, and I've gotta say that I rather enjoyed it. The visuals appeared well thought-out, and the layout of the map was generally good - not too linear nor too confusing. The gameplay was also satisfactory for the most part, although I did find myself running low on health pretty often. I also noticed a pretty major flaw in the area of the sewers where there was a Pain Elemental and a small staircase, as the Lost Souls spawned by the PE were able to pass through the bars. Flagging the lines as "impassable" is enough to fix it, though.

Overall, not bad. c:

This is a very good looking map, must've taken a while to make this.  It has a cramped style, not my cup of tea but I can respect it.  The gzdoom'isms are always nice to see.  Very nonlinear, maybe a bit too much.  We'll see, I only played about 5 minutes and wrote this.  I intend on playing it through later today, hopefully won't get turned around.

Well, I played it.  Got turned around after grabbing the red key.  Ran back through the sewer thinking I had forgotten something...

Anyway, it was fun.  I started to get used to the crampedness of it after a bit.  I thought I was recording it but when I got out of the game I realized I forgot to start the recording... 30 minutes down the tubes.

Edited by Bryan T

Ok, I finished playing through version 1. I enjoyed it, but I do think that it could be improved:

Like @DynamiteKaitorn mentioned it's easy to get stuck on the architecture details, which wasn't a gamebreaker but it was annoying. In the videos you can see me fail to dodge projectiles a few times because I got unexpectedly caught on something, it happened several times in the second half.

I avoided pressing the yellow key "exit" switch and kept searching for a way into what turned out to be the actual exit area because I thought that the switch was the exit itself and I wanted to shoot at the last few monsters before I ended the map. Maybe the "exit" signs should be around the bars that the switch lowers?

Sometimes it took me a few walks around an area to recognize one of the wood doors as being a door. Maybe that's just me being dumb? I feel like they could be made harder to mistake for scenery details, perhaps with lights or something.

There were a few encounters that I felt could have been more aggressive - such as monsters teleporting in front of me but not behind, in at least one case. (I think a few more? I can't remember very well.) That could have just been because I played on HMP instead of UV, though.

I personally didn't mind the pistol play at the start of the map, but yeah a lot of players won't enjoy it very much.

Part 2 of my playthrough:

Edited by meapineapple

15 hours ago, MFG38 said:

by the PE were able to pass through the bars. Flagging the lines as "impassable" is enough to fix it, though.

This thing is not bug and is on purpose, small surprise. It doesn't look right probably but i doesnt like that you can hide behind those bars and kill him without any damage so i decide for this.

@Bryan T thank you brian for playing and for post.

@meapineapple thank you for your 2nd video and really helpfull feedback. you have some great points. I will do some more changes based on your feedback. i personally didn't like monster teleporting behind you, it looks bit unfair to player.

Map got final update since every problem should be fixed and here are the changes:

Update v4 (final):

Spoiler

Reworked exit to be less disorienting
Door that are close to blue key door in start area have longer delay before closing
Details are updated and edited to avoid stucking
Two small gameplay update
texture misalignment fix
Wooden door texture in sewers is changed to be better recognizable
metal bars texture fix

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Main post link is updated.

Oh great bump, I was playing this recently and really like it. Yet, I must admit, that I did not finish the first map yet (!) because I am missing some switch or something. It also feels really cramped, but I love the super-interconectedness. Very great stuff so far, I hope I can check out the other maps soon.

10 hours ago, elend said:

that I did not finish the first map yet (!)

You mean first version? There is only one map.

10 hours ago, elend said:

because I am missing some switch or something

Can you tell where?

Ooohhh, I was under the impression that's a map set with 4. Must have mistaken it. I will try to continue a bit tomorrow and have a look if I can still progress. Usually I am really bad at this, so don't worry. Most probably not your map's fault! :D

Just finished playing through on UV. Overall it was pretty good but a little too easy, like meapineapple mentioned there were a few surprise encounters that could of been a little more aggressive. Visuals were great but there were a couple instances where I could traverse terrain I probably shouldn't. For example there were a couple computer monitors in the wall I could walk into because the lines below weren't set to impassable.

Oooohhh, so I finally made progress. I was stuck at the "The sewer entrance is open" part, but now I finally found it. Great portal technique, looks amazing. Would love to do this as well.

I noticed two things, though:

You can walk through those grates:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20181023_100602.png.e670d69bdae28640310cce3a8fac2100.png

Also, you can shoot through this window (thank god, that let me take out the revenant more easily. xD)

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20181023_100635.png.5399b02e34a0c357b392419262e7e524.png

And - I told you I am really bad at this - but now I am stuck here, after I got the red key. There seem to be no switches I can press.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20181023_101702.png.db575e2b57c9f546b932d77ad846a82e.png

Fun map, took around 20 minutes or so to beat.

A couple of complaints I've had:

1. The map was majorly cramped. A lot of narrow corridors.

2. A lack of boss fights. There isn't even an Archvile in the final room, so the entire thing was really easy.

I've only died once at the part where you go down an elevator and a Hellknight is way too close to you for you to start dodging.

There were also a couple of minor bugs I've found:

Screenshot_Doom_20181023_192640.png- A small HOM found behind the red bars.

Screenshot_Doom_20181023_193621.png- This poor Arachno is totally stuck.

Other than that it was a fun experience with plenty of inter connectivity. I like how you managed to make it as non-linear as possible and there was a good use of portals and 3D floors here.

Looking forward to seeing more stuff from you :)

@Terminus Thank you terminus for your feedback, i finaly manage to fix things you mentioned. Hope you enjoy the map.

Spoiler

Update v5:
-Red key hom fix
-Arachnotron replaced by hell knight to avoid monster stuck
-Midbars block fix

I just played through this on UV. Really enjoyable, I'm one of those people who like 'cramped' playing areas because the extra cover makes me feel a better player than I actually am. I wouldn't say it's very easy, but the only couple of deaths I experienced were due to drowning in the pool in one of the secret areas - I was looking for a switch to reveal a way out rather than just swimming to the surface and getting out. I counted at least five green armours and three blue ones: it's a long map, and I'm a major critic of wad authors who force players to go unprotected for long periods, but maybe 1100 armour points is too generous, at least on UV level? Also, no chainsaw in the map? Could have made fighting the pinkies a bit more varied?

Finally, just curious, is there any way out of this area if the player accidentally falls into it? I couldn't find one.

des.png.690e5d091008c356381bb8813c8be658.png

des.png

Edited by Summer Deep

9 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

Finally, just curious, can the player actually get out of this area if he or she accidentally falls into it?

Yes, I remember going down there during my playthrough and getting back up. I posted a video, so you should be able to watch to see how. 

I've watched your video and, yes, you walk through that opening without any trouble at all. As you can see from my own recording, it just wasn't possible when I attempted it. I tried approaching from the front, strafing from the side, and even jumping, but no luck. I could obsess about things like this for days, maybe I need to get a life, lol....

@Summer Deep (facepalm) i'm such a big idiot. Reason why you can't walk of is becauase based on elend feedback i block those lines where (abow) midspace texture was but didn't realize there is entry under them. I'm really srry for problem that cause you this. I'm soo blind sometimes, srry again i will fix that as soon as i have acces to pc. Thank you for your feedback, great to see you like it :)

One think i want to write is that i will propably stop using deep water at all. yes is nice cool feature but in doom it will only confuse and desorient player because this is not very common thing you see. Again thank you everyone for your feedback. 

So i update the map and decide to remove final version from thread name since im bitt blind in bug fixing :)

Thank you @Summer Deep for pointing out the stuck under bridge entrance and all of you for your feedback.

Here are the changes(main link is updatet):

Spoiler

Update v6:
-impassable line fix
-Hell knight in sewer entrance room replaced by melee revenant (UV only-HMP no monster)
-Ending area have now cyberdemon boss instead of classic monsters (UV only)
-Small texture errors fix