Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ketmar

k8vavoom: no good thing ever dies!

I put the gzdoom.sf2 in the folder. Between that and the chainsaw sound spamming, my ears are bleeding now.

29 minutes ago, VGA said:

Between that and the chainsaw sound spamming, my ears are bleeding now.

nobody ever said that Hell is a nice place.

as i have no release dates, i see no reason to not bump this thread with a new build. nothing spectacular, but i added multiline help text to some obscure options, so you will have at least some idea what those arcane things controls. BEWARE: ENGRISH AT THE MAX!

* some hacks to timidity sf2 processor: "chaos_bank_v1_9_12mb.sf2" should not crash now (at least it works for me)
* it is now possible to bind mouse buttons even if "mouse in ui" is off
* added help text to some menu options
* removed heretic and hexen pk3 (they are barely playable anyway)

On 10/21/2018 at 11:13 AM, ketmar said:

yay. one brave person ported k8VaVoom to nintendo switch (with homebrew sdk). eat that, GZDoom! ;-)

image.png.4e6453156ae17614d4c6befeb276fb58.png

not ready for public release yet. althrough some support code already commited to repo.

Hi! I'm creating a package for Arch (AUR), if you're okay with it.
If you're okay with it, could you tell me what licence is k8vavoom using? Some source code seems to be licenced under the GPL...

15 minutes ago, Pol Marcet Sardà said:

Hi! I'm creating a package for Arch (AUR), if you're okay with it.

no problems, you're welcome!

15 minutes ago, Pol Marcet Sardà said:

could you tell me what licence is k8vavoom using?

GNU GPL v2. will be upgraded to GNU GPL v3 later -- i am just too lazy to run sed on it yet. ;-)

no problems, you're welcome!

Then I'll proceed.

GNU GPL v2. will be upgraded to GNU GPL v3 later -- i am just too lazy to run sed on it yet. ;-)

Ok, cool :)
I estimate that tomorrow it will be ready :P

thank you! the more people will know about k8VaVoom, the more important i can feel myself. which is always a nice thing. i mean, why else somebody will do a sourceport for 20+ y.o. game?

p.s.: feel free to PM me if you'll have any question/troubles.

Those stencil shadows are awesome! I didn't even know such a thing was possible in the Doom engine.

I did a quick run through MAP01 and I spotted this:

bCbgdDT.png

SIFvjXe.png

I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be rendered, although it only shows up if you look at it from a certain angle.

11 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Those stencil shadows are awesome! I didn't even know such a thing was possible in the Doom engine.

it is all Janis' work. yet they are slow as hell. :-(( mostly due to several rendering passes.

12 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be rendered, although it only shows up if you look at it from a certain angle.

yeah, thank you! it certainly looks like a clipper bug. that clipper code is a pile of copy-pasta i don't even fully understand yet. i.e. it is an usual beam clipper, but... anyway, good catch, i will try to find out what is wrong.

On 10/17/2018 at 7:04 AM, ketmar said:

yet VaVoom C power went unnoticed for some reason, along with VaVoom client/server networking. it is fun to see zscript hype, knowing that GZDoom is ~8 year late to the party (and it still doesn't have c/s networking).

On 10/21/2018 at 11:13 AM, ketmar said:

yay. one brave person ported k8VaVoom to nintendo switch (with homebrew sdk). eat that, GZDoom! ;-)

Your port is great and all but this source-port-wars type attitude is quite silly. It's not a competition, ya know. :P

19 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Your port is great and all but this source-port-wars type attitude is quite silly. It's not a competition, ya know. :P

hey, just a joke! ;-) old one, i know, and not very smart. sure, i don't understand why VaVoom went mostly unnoticed, and it is fun to see how GZDoom is praised for the very same features VaVoom had years ago, but i am not really enraged or something. more like "hey, look at me, i am great too!" ;-)

i.e. don't take it serious, i am not trying to be "better than port XYZ", i just think that it is fun to make fun from GZDoom. everyone loves to make fun from GZDoom, admit it!

Edited by ketmar

Several years ago I had tried the last version of Vavoom (I think it was less than a year after it was abandoned) and it didn't work properly. I think it crashed or something. Felt like its coders experimented and added lots of features with a disregard to stability. Same goes for Doomsday, I had microfreezes last time I tried it, about 2 years ago.

In the meantime, Zdoom-family ports are always reasonably stable and just work. Regardless of some yuge features that get added now and then. And out of the box they play Doom properly and look like they should. That's why I told you earlier in this thread that modding features don't mean much if the user loads up E1M1 and sees stupid shit happening or weird graphical effects that don't fit with the Doom aesthetic.

i guess that original VaVoom is a "hit-and-miss" case: it worked flawlessly for me, for example. but considering the number of small bugs i fixed, i can understand how it may not work for others.

yet modern GZDoom loves to crash too, and glitch with various GPUs. i guess Janis should wait a little before innovating, so people become attached to the engine, and tolerate crashes. ;-)

45 minutes ago, VGA said:

or weird graphical effects that don't fit with the Doom aesthetic

now, that is a highly subjective matter. i, for example, think that VaVoom particle effects fits "DooM spirit" almost perfectly. but then, "my DooM" is prolly very different from "your DooM", or "next guy DooM". some people love brutal doom, for example, and i think that it is silly. yet i love ketchup blood from brutal. some people love hd textures (and pbr matherials, and bumpmapping, and SSAO, and...), and i think that those things looks like shit (at least in DooM).

from the other side, if k8VaVoom looks like any other source port from the very beginning, people may just think: "eh, another boring DooM engine. been there, seen that." if anything, those changed features will at least make people to drop the sourceport immediately look into options menu to find out how they can turn those things off. and maybe people will find some interesting switches there...

Hey, maybe you should make a poll about the particle explosions? Whether they should be On or Off by default?

For me, I think the dynamic lighting and default mouselook gives Vavoom some character. If you could make an awesome wipe screen effect with some shader or something... that'd be cool, too. Hey, does Vavoom support music packs?

http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#

You could direct people to that if they complain about janky music.

This is a bit of a minor suggestion but do you think you could make the mouse4-mouse5 buttons bindable in the menu? I like to use the side buttons on my mouse to scroll through the inventory.

Also, are there any actual Vavoom mods out there to run with this? The handful I found on the old Vavoom forums have dead links. The only Vavoom mod I really heard of was the Korax's Heritage, and those are very impressive mods, but since this port dropped Raven support that's out too. I tried to run some old ZDoom mods, since this port has DECORATE and ACS support, but even wildweasel's Stranger mod (from 2006!) didn't work properly in some parts (throwing knives can't be picked back up and the altfire does no damage, invulnerability fills screen with solid blue, etc).

EDIT: Also, it would be rather convenient for there to be either a drag-and-drop system for loading wads or some type of launcher like the old Vavoom releases, instead of having to -file all my mods in a .bat or the command line.

Edited by TheMightyHeracross

Use a launcher like ZDL. I have about 10 ports, I launch all of them with that.

Huh, for some reason using ZDL never crossed my mind. I guess I just assumed it was just for ZDoom-derivatives for some reason.

Edit: Just gonna put this here because I've posted so much already, but I get weird issues setting up a game over Hamachi. The player creating the server is totally fine except for a few console messages saying "Duplicate ACK received" but the client gets the most horrible stutter I've ever seen and console spam of "Channel (number) not open" and "Dropped # Datagram(s)". It seems to be the same on the last Vavoom release.

Edited by TheMightyHeracross

I believe ALL ports should support the standard Doom command line parameters like -iwad, -file etc

We should whine when things aren't working! :D

8 hours ago, VGA said:

Hey, maybe you should make a poll about the particle explosions? Whether they should be On or Off by default?

meh. not a game breaker. will be "on". i love them, so my users should love them too, by my command.

8 hours ago, VGA said:

If you could make an awesome wipe screen effect with some shader or something...

nice idea. now i only have to invent that effect. and i cannot invent nothing new even to save my life...

8 hours ago, VGA said:

Hey, does Vavoom support music packs?

sure, they "just work" with -file. dunno if right ogg loop points are supported, tho, so loops may be slightly off. yet i guess that there are no modern sourceports without support for at least one of vorbis/flac/mp3, so it is hardly a distinct feature. ;-)

8 hours ago, VGA said:

You could direct people to that if they complain about janky music.

hm. nice idea, i'll add a link to the first post. thank you.

7 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

do you think you could make the mouse4-mouse5 buttons bindable in the menu?

yeah, i can add two missing SDL2 constants, and we'll see if it will work. will prolly upload a build later today, why not.

Also, are there any actual Vavoom mods out there to run with this?

nope. even if you will find old downloads, VaVoom C syntax is changed enough to prevent those mods from compiling. i took mod absense as an excuse to break everyting in VaVoom C land. ;-)

but since this port dropped Raven support

it is not dropped, it is just not included in windows builds, 'cause the quality is sub-par. that is, it cannot even load config files properly (but the games are playable). one day i'll write an unified UI system, and will restore support for H/H games.

Korax's Heritage

tbh, i started hacking VaVoom just to run my ketchup and bdw mods, and to port my headshots hack from GZDoom. i love to write compilers, so i started hacking VC. at the time when i decided to contact Firebrand, VaVoom C was changed enough to make Korax non-working without extensive code changes, i dropped m$vc support, and such. my fault, i should have contacted guys from Korax earlier. but then, i never thought that k8VaVoom will become something bigger than several patches here and there.

FUCK YOU, DOOMWORLD FORUM SOFTWARE. THANK YOU FOR LOOSING HALF OF MY REPLY, FOR BE UNABLE TO PROPERLY RESTORE IT, FOR NOT HAVING A NORMAL TEXTAREA, SO NO MY SCRIPTS ARE WORKING WITH YOU, FOR FUCKED UP C-C/C-V, FOR EVERYTHING.

we'll continue here.

since this port has DECORATE and ACS support

quite limited, tbh. it is not a technical limitation (i.e. support for almost anything can be implemented), it is more about actually implementing missing functions/opcodes -- this is tedious. i am adding missing things, but at a very low rate. tbh, ZDoom compatibility is not even in a list: i will never be able to implement proper ZDoom mods support single-handily, so there is no reason to chase a ghost. while many simple decorate/acs things are working, complex mods will prolly fail in spectacular ways (if they run at all). of course, i will continue extending/fixing decorate/acs support, so more and more things will get better over time.

Also, it would be rather convenient for there to be either a drag-and-drop system for loading wads or some type of launcher like the old Vavoom releases, instead of having to -file all my mods in a .bat or the command line.

make a bat like `vavoom.exe doom2 -file "%1" "%2" "%3" "%4" "%5" "%6" "%7" "%8" "%9"`, then make a link on it, and drop files on that link. it should work. ;-)

or yeah, just use ZDL, as @VGA suggested. i won't write my own launcher, but will happily support existing ones.

get weird issues setting up a game over Hamachi

judging from the source code, the networking system was in the middle of rewrite/refining. i literally can see places where code looks like quick-n-dirty "let it just run" soluiton to be replaced later. yet i am not playing over network at all (in any game), so finishing new network is low in my list.

don't get me wrong, the network code is there, and it is in a fairly good shape. it is not like "ok, i have to rewrite it from scratch", there are relatively small things here and there to fix/refine. i just don't have enough time to do everything i want to do, so network should wait for some time. i guess most people playing something like zandronum anyway. sorry for inconvenience.

thank you for trying k8VaVoom, and stay with us! we don't have cookies yet, but they are in our TODO list! ;-)

@TheMightyHeracross plz, try this build. if additional mouse buttons will work for you, i'll bump the build to "official".

dunno. they seems to be busy, so i just put that into official build. let's hope it helps.

Edited by ketmar

2 hours ago, ketmar said:

nope. even if you will find old downloads, VaVoom C syntax is changed enough to prevent those mods from compiling. i took mod absense as an excuse to break everyting in VaVoom C land. ;-)

At least keep the old VaVoom C support code around. :\

Also, will this be available on GitHub?

49 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

At least keep the old VaVoom C support code around.

this is the best way to turn any project into unmaintainable mess -- keep legacy code forever. ;-) my plan is exactly opposite: to gradually remove all warts from VC. because i am using VC in several other my projects (including 2D game engine).

49 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

will this be available on GitHub?

nope. repo.or.cz is perfectly fine. i am not using gh, and have no plans to create an account there. of course, people can make mirrors if they want.

Yo @ketmar, I'm coming from the Switch homebrew scene and just made an account to say THANKS FOR THIS GLORIOUS SOURCEPORT! It runs great on the Switch and alreally supports tons of ancient zdoom (DECORATE) mods!

Btw any chance to support more advanced DECORATE fuctions in the future? Some users from the Switch scene are dreaming to see Brutal Doom running on the Switch (in my case, just advanced DECORATE stuff for some fancy modding).

Thanks to you and to fgsfds too for the Switch port, ofc :) looking forward to this project for the MD3 support, the Doom3-like lighting and other cool stuff :D

Just tried k8vavoom now and I must say it looks pretty good. Before this, the last time i tried vavoom was 3-4 years ago (for trying Korax's Heritage) but it frequently crashed. But k8vavoom hasn't crashed even once yet which is a plus. I hope this source port gets more recognition in the future, especially since it supports Zscript which GZdoom recently added.

However u probably need to iron some bugs and issues. One example is the firing animations of the weapons which are well.... kinda glichy (just look at rocket launcher and chaingun when firing). Another example is the BFG impact animation which moves up and down. And then there is the non-correct aspect ratio and non-scaling of HUD. These small things play a good role in the presentation of the port. I hope these things (and any other issues) get fixed in near future.

I wish u good luck reviving vavoom

6 hours ago, slash004 said:

It runs great on the Switch

great, and thank you! it is all fgsfds work, and i didn't even wrote the engine! ;-) but tell this nobody.

any chance to support more advanced DECORATE fuctions in the future?

sure! i am improving decorate from time to time, so the engine will support more and more decorate/acs features over time. of course, there is no roadmap, so i cannot say when "feature XYZ" will be ready. but stay with us, and sooner or later any your wish will be granted! ;-)

for the MD3 support

sounds like a fun thing to do: not really useful, but noticeable by users. will try to implement it when there will be time to release a build, and i won't have any good user-visible changes. ;-)

and other cool stuff

oh, i have SUCH A PLANS! but silence, my friend, They are spying on us!

3 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Just tried k8vavoom now and I must say it looks pretty good.

thank you!

since it supports Zscript

you are slightly wrong here. VaVoom has it's own language -- VaVoom C. while the idea -- move everything out of the C++ code to scripts -- is the same, language syntax, implementation and API are completely different.

However u probably need to iron some bugs and issues.

yeah. my list of known bugs is much longer than that in the first post. ;-) but any bugreport is valuable, thank you!

I hope these things (and any other issues) get fixed in near future.

it surely will all be fixed. don't go away, we are planning to do first official release somewhere in 2273! ask your local hibernation office, and mention "hellonearth" (this is our referal word), you will get a discount!

I wish u good luck reviving vavoom

thank you again. it is great that people still remember Janis' work -- VaVoom was a great project, and we will make VaVoom great aga... eh... nevermind.

Edited by ketmar