Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spram

Spram's Metroid Doom (released)

This looks great, I'm gonna try it once I have some time.

One question, though: why TNT IWAD? Especially since it looks like you're using custom textures and sprites.

26 minutes ago, Rathori said:

This looks great, I'm gonna try it once I have some time.

One question, though: why TNT IWAD? Especially since it looks like you're using custom textures and sprites.

TNT IWAD? That's the one I used. I didn't know you could run wads without an iwad... ?

What he wanted to say is that projects are usually based on doom.wad or doom2.wad since these iwads are much more common. Using any others (such as tnt.wad) means needless limitation of your player base.

Unless you want to make an addon utilizing the assets of one of the Final Doom iwads (like e.g. Plutonia II did which requires plutonia.wad), it's recommended to use doom2.wad.

Edited by NightFright

20 minutes ago, NightFright said:

What he wanted to say is that it's much more common to base projects on doom.wad or doom2.wad since these iwads are much more common. Using any other iwads means needless limitation of your player base.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. I should probably have worded it better, though. Thanks for explaining it properly :)

Paging @MetroidJunkie.

@Spram

Welcome to Doomworld!

This looks nice. The TNT.wad is an unfortunate choice--perhaps you can fix it somehow. Nevertheless, good work.

Since the map apparently ends with Mother Brain, are you thinking of expanding on this to make other Metroid levels?

Ok, so I got a download working. It's in the first post and also here.

I tried using Doom2.wad as an iwad and it seems to work fine.

Pegleg: I think I'm burned out on Metroid levels for now. There's more than just Brinstar and Norfair in this map though.

Hey I just wanted to say, i've tried it and think it's really impressive, especially the map's layout.

When i first opened it i wasn't sure of the 16x16 tiles from Super Metroid being used as textures, but in the end they work fine, giving it a retro artstyle.

I like how huge the map is and generally does feel like a 3D rendition of Zebes (albeit a bit smaller scaled given how fast you travel through the areas).

Gameplay is fine, i was expecting it to be a bit more metroid like while it's more on the doom side for now. The monster sprites are good, especially those which have rotations.

Now here's my thoughts/suggestion on things to tweak, and things you could improve

Some rooms feel too crowded, and some enemies are tank-ish (the zoomer in the first area is a good example given how many zoomers are around), i'd balance things out a bit and make some rooms a bit bigger personally, especially in the Norfair area.

I'd personally take this a step further by coding some more metroid accurate mechanics kinda like in Metroid Dreadnought, it would really shine that way (Especially if you get a working morphball going instead of faking it with the default crouch). I'd also rework some enemies that acted more like vanilla doom's monsters, such as the security robot being a mancubus.

If you disable the weapon lower/weapon raise it will look like you're switching between beams, if you have the patience you could go a step further and even draw transition animations between one beam and another.

Also there's a small bug: I've noticed that some of the vegetation actors in crateria are solid and can actually block you and your shots.

Solid work, keep it up!

Looks promising. Just downloaded, will give this a spin later.

NEWS!

There is a Mod Database link to the files: https://www.moddb.com/downloads/sprams-metroid-doom

Voltcom9: Thanks.

MFG38: Thanks. Let me know if you like it or not.

General Rainbow Bacon: Thanks again.

Batandy: It's an honour! Thanks and I'll look into the solid plants. They were not created in decorate and are actually graphic changes of previous stuff, they work fine in my end, but I'll maybe make decorate versions of them to be sure. When? I don't know, I'm tired and lazy.

On 10/28/2018 at 1:35 AM, Spram said:

NEWS!

There is a Mod Database link to the files: https://www.moddb.com/downloads/sprams-metroid-doom

Voltcom9: Thanks.

MFG38: Thanks. Let me know if you like it or not.

General Rainbow Bacon: Thanks again.

Batandy: It's an honour! Thanks and I'll look into the solid plants. They were not created in decorate and are actually graphic changes of previous stuff, they work fine in my end, but I'll maybe make decorate versions of them to be sure. When? I don't know, I'm tired and lazy.

Yeah you should definitely make your own stuff in decorate instead of reskinning existing actors, not only for compatibility, but you could also do so much more that way

I played this through, easy setting as I do when playing anything for the first time to get a feel for it. Monsters early on drop the ice beam pickup, is this supposed to happen? Missiles are almost too plentiful, I had 130 by the end and Mother Brain was the only enemy I really used a lot of them on. Harder settings likely offset this but even by the time I got 75 of them I stopped really caring if I got more. Likewise few energy tanks, I only found 2 with one of them being late in the game, which if consistent through difficulty settings may be a big problem for the harder choices.

I liked the level design. Overall I had few real complaints about this map or the mod and only mostly nitpicks. I do think having missiles available by cycling through is needless since they alt-fire regardless of beam. I wish Samus was immune to splash damage from her own missiles as she normally is, this did get to be a bit of an issue at times, it makes using missiles at close range much harder. Chozo statues would have been nice for items but I don't know how to really do those in 3D using the Doom engine as either sprites or structures. Morph ball was sort of missed, but in 3D with crouching it's probably not needed, Prime often had to shoehorn in various puzzle rooms to make it necessary.

Weapon range is an issue, some of them fizzle out at short distances. A long beam enhancement would help, if not disabling this. Wave beam also felt mostly weak despite the infinite range.

I'm curious why the main Norfair music is a remix from Heretic/Hexen? The rest comes from Metroid games. The ruins in the desert area could use minor editing to remove the Daedric runes, I guess these textures are from Daggerfall? People will recognize them. One of the bosses is Biollante from Godzilla but I guess it fits the visual theme, though I was unsure where to actually hit it, head or glowing center. There is one map station in Norfair and everything is one map- the only way I can see bypassing this is to use hub levels with separate map stations per section, which could also allow each section to be larger. I used the "fix" linked above but those plants really didn't need collision at all, the ones remaining were a bit in the way when walking around them.

5 hours ago, diosoth said:

Monsters early on drop the ice beam pickup, is this supposed to happen?

Did you load the dehack patch? This happens when you don't. I'm suprised you can beat the wad, I thought it's going to be compleetly bugged. 

6 hours ago, Lampenpam said:

Did you load the dehack patch? This happens when you don't. I'm suprised you can beat the wad, I thought it's going to be compleetly bugged. 

The "fixed" map download posted by TheLemonLimeBronydoesn't include it.

I played through with gzdoom-g3.3pre-297-g56f656516-x64 with no obvious issues, didn't save/quit at any point, went on a full 2 hour 22 minute run start to finish. I have GZDoom 3.4 but as it tends to randomly crash during level transitions I barely touch it.

I noticed the second jump of the Space Jump has a forward thrust to it that isn't really needed and makes precision aiming in the escape sequence a bit harder. But aside from that the platforming sections didn't bother me- and such things usually DO bother me as they aren't often designed with an FPS view in mind. None of the jumping felt irritating, unlike Golden Souls where it's tiny platforms over instant death traps.

I also wonder if the zebetites could be replaced with enemies that take a few shots, the rising pillars are one shot switch/door combos and no real challenge. The turrets in the final section were also obnoxious, impossible to dodge, even at full 300 health I still barely had enough health to kill Mother Brain. I think they fire a projectile rather than hitscan but it moves very fast.

The one obvious omission though is Kraid. But having a giant monster 2 rooms tall isn't going to matter much unless you can set the hitbox into the mouth only using separate sprites and mouselook would render any platforming to hit the spot pointless. Maybe go classic NES where he's just smaller, along with the weaker fake before the battle.

Edited by diosoth

Hey! I really love this mod but I had a few questions.

1) why does my UI look different than the ones in your screenshots and video?

2) where do I find the ice gun? when I first installed it the enemies dropped it but after I installed the dehack patch they don't drop it anymore.

Ice Beam is located inside the first base-like area where you encounter Space Pirates for the first time. Its in the center of a room that releases Metroids when picked up

I was messing around with the files and found a good way to combine all the files. If you change the dehacked file extension to .WAD, you can use an archiving tool to combine the metroid.deh (converted to wad), Met.wad, and Met_maps_fancy.wad all into a single wad that you can click on. You still need to use the plutonia IWAD however.