Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
meapineapple

BLARRGH.WAD Challenge - 100% my map for $10

Whoever can 100% this map and post a verifiable recording (i.e. a complete demo or video) with the lowest amount of time shown on the intermission screen will win a post recognizing them as the winner, I guess $10 USD, payable by paypal or steam or what the heck ever. Ties will be broken by favoring whoever was first to post proof.

EDIT: @Aquila Chrysaetos has won the $10 prize.

== RULES ==

- No jumping

- No crouching

- No cheating 

- Mouselook and freelook is allowed

- Must be completed on UV with a standard pistol start without custom weapons or monsters mods

- Deadline for challenge completion is 1 December 2018

- Must complete the level with 100% kills and 100% items

- Must be completed in one continuous sitting with no saves or deaths

- Must complete the level within 2.5 hours

== COMPAT ==

Tested in Zandronum and PrBoom+. This map is in Boom format.

== STORY ==

In the future, blood is a precious commodity. Humanity yearns to see demons bleed, not to mention doomguy. Kill all the demons! You know what to do.

== TIPS ==

- Try not to die

== DOWNLOAD ==

blarrgh.zip / Mirror: https://pineapplemachine.com/files/doomwads/blarrgh.zip

== LEADERBOARD ==

1. @Aquila Chrysaetos finished in 7:38

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/102894-blarrghwad-challenge-100-my-map-for-10/?tab=comments#comment-1930226

== SCREENS ==

Spoiler

screen1.png.f30d2e5420e81286021e490bf4c2242f.png

screen3.png.e6579e23c147e053dc525542cab1d80c.png

screen2.png.c30b3b5820bc30ed7686990dbfbef95c.png

Edited by meapineapple

So you're allowing PrBoom+? Are you aware that in that port anyone can easily record a TAS demo and pass it off as a legit run?

@Memfis I'm sorry but you may not record a TAS demo as that would be considered cheating and to also violate the "one continuous sitting with no saves" rule. You will have to record your demo legitimately.

2 minutes ago, meapineapple said:

@Memfis I'm sorry but you may not record a TAS demo as that would be considered cheating and to also violate the "one continuous sitting with no saves" rule. You will have to record your demo legitimately.

Id like to introduce you to Pan. Do you know him? i feel you might.

blarrgh-AC.lmp

PRBoom+ 2.5.1.5, UV-max, complevel 9

Regardless of the prize I would've played this map.

I liked it, really, but there were some missing textures that gave away one of the secrets. I think you might want to fix that.

I like the nonlinearity, it made me try a couple times to figure out how to attack the map early on, but the secrets were easy enough to get to make the main challenge of the map far more manageable than it already was.

Nice meme, by the way.

18 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Are you aware that in that port anyone can easily record a TAS demo and pass it off as a legit run?

But who would take the time to do that for $10.

33 minutes ago, meapineapple said:

In the future, blood is a precious commodity. Humanity yearns to see demons bleed, not to mention doomguy. Kill all the demons! You know what to do.

With a plot like that, you and darkmasterx should talk.

34 minutes ago, meapineapple said:

== TIPS ==

- Try not to die

This is a good tip and one that players ignore at their own peril.

Only time will tell if it will be as enduring as "Shoot at it until it dies."

The deadline has been moved from 1 December to 31 October, i.e. one week from the original post.

I would like to propose that the new forum rule be named after me

Can I PM demos instead of posting them here? I don't want other challengers to see my tactics.

If not, please state the exact deadline down to a minute so I can post my demo at the very last moment. :D

21 minutes ago, meapineapple said:

I would like to propose that the new forum rule be named after me

I trained as an attorney, so this new rule is obviously called the Rule Against Perpetuities.

@Aquila Chrysaetos has received the $10 prize for finishing BLARRGH in the lowest time before Ling created the brand-new one-week rule for payments and explained that it is absolute and inflexible, applicable retroactively to this thread, confirming in DMs that I would be banned without exception if it ended up not being possible to arrange payment with the winner quickly enough, regardless of whether I was at fault. Congrats to Aquila for winning the "I don't want to get banned over bullshit" contest, and congrats to the Doomworld community for the last time I'll ever offer a monetary reward for anything, seeing as I would prefer not to be banned.

Anyone else may submit their runs here in the thread or privately by DM and I will add you to the leaderboard. On 1 December the winner will be honored, but will not receive money.

For the record, you PMed me asking if I could, and I directly quote, "make the actual description of the rule reflect its intentions better", and I said no, the rule was precisely worded. Because I don't appreciate someone suggesting that they know my own intentions better than I do, I didn't reply to the other questions you asked.  But I never said the rule was retroactively placing you or your account in danger. Perhaps I am being blind to my own "power imbalance" here and by ignoring that question I made you believe I was implicitly affirming your worst fears. But I hope this does not dissuade you in the future from offering a bounty that another Doomworld forums member could claim and profit thereby, assuming it follows the rules.

@Linguica You have been extremely hostile. 

You locked this thread and made a derisive post.

After that, you posted the new rule.

If a week passes from the start of the thread and there is no evidence of payment, the original poster will be banned.

You unlocked the thread and you deleted your post.

You said that the rule applied to this thread.

I would appreciate a very clear response on whether it's okay for the deadline to be 1 December or if it must he sooner.

The deadline must be within a week, because you must offer evidence of payment within a week.

You said that there was no exception and no room for rewards issued after a week because of factors outside the poster's control. (In this case, me.)

I want to make sure - Are you going to drop the guillotine and to hell with me as soon as a week passes? Do I need be worried if the winner doesn't respond right away with a method of payment, or will you be reasonable when enforcing this rule and hopefully make the actual description of the rule reflect its intentions better?

The description of the rule is precise. The offer must be completely finished within a week, including payment.

Should I apologize for assuming that your intention was to prevent abuse rather than to make offering payment to be practically asking for a ban, considering all the reasons out of the poster's control why it might not be possible to deliver payment within the exact deadline?

Now, to avoid the ban that you assured me would be forthcoming, I am out $10 that didn't go to what I intended, and I have a thread that is full of admin drama bullshit instead of people actually participating and enjoying the challenge.

Thanks. 

Maybe there should be a separate platform for challenges with cash prizes. The constant opening/locking and the arbitrary rules are rather annoying. We aren't kids, we can handle this stuff without a supervisor I think.

25 minutes ago, meapineapple said:

Should I apologize for assuming that your intention was to prevent abuse rather than to make offering payment to be practically asking for a ban, considering all the reasons out of the poster's control why it might not be possible to deliver payment within the exact deadline?

Clearly you do not understand. If a person offers money and then does not send that money within a week they will be banned. If they do not wish for this to happen, then they should make sure they feel confident in their ability to follow through according to the rules that say if one claims they are going to pay someone, that one actually do it on a fixed timeline. I am sorry that you feel personally attacked because you made a meme copypasta thread where you offered a pittance to play your map and claimed you would pay someone in five weeks.