Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

A very different aesthetic on display here with mostly greens, but there is a variety of texture. The mood is very creepy toward the beginning but then the map becomes lots of medium-ish hordes and lots of arch-viles. Some of the arch-viles were frustrating to deal with since they appeared behind walls of other enemies, but there’s actually quite a bit of ammo in this map once you get into it. It can be pretty difficult with its decent sized packs of monsters in pretty tight spaces for Djinn, but I don’t find anything really unfair except maybe the health drain of the poison lost souls, but even they are at least low hp monsters. Unfortunately, I found the progression a little strange once again, not so much traveling all the way across the level, but simply not being sure what switches did.

Bottom line: a somewhat niche map with an odd but tolerable progression

I'll be unable to record until next week, but continue to post and I'll catch up when I get back.

@xdarkmasterx, the level seems like it might be fun, but the annoying nature of the replacement sound effects rendered the map completely unplayable for me.

thank you hak for playing it! i didn't expect you to already do that so it was a surprise :) well i was really scared of how it would have turned out since with first playtestng it went horribly wrong, especially because of the semi platforming area. At the end i wanted to do something weird and when you saved jsut when the crusher started i was afraid that you were going to be stuck in that spot, but luckily enough that didn't happen :) there are two strange switches here, the first one was added later to open the nukage area and to make sure that the player doesnt complete it too early in the map or else everything would become a huge mess. The second one as you saw was kinda remote but obvious, if you use the map you can see there is a space beyond the grey waterfall, but even without using it you were able to figure it out in a couple of seconds, so i guess it's okay. Feel free to tell what you would cut here, cause it's still on a very early stage and i'm not yet sure if it works that well :) Have a nice day!

Hey, could you play MAP08 of NoMonochrome? I'd appreciate it.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/102491-nomonochrome-a-color-themed-episode-idgames-release/

It's a pretty long map (takes around 40 minutes to complete), that features difficult, sometimes even slaughter-ish, encounters.

No jumping or crouching, but I'd encourage using freelook, just because the level was never tested without it. But if you prefer to play without freelook, I'm pretty sure you'll manage.

Hello, i don't know if you're still playing other maps at the moment, but i would love to hear your thoughts on eternal damnation a 4 level mapset i made for ultimate doom, it's vanilla so any source port works. The first 2 maps take about 10 to 15 minutes on a blind play, while the 3rd one is significantly longer and the 4th one is more experimental on its progression (nothing as long as the previous map tho). Each level takes the first map of each episode

@meapineapple (There’s a new version available but this was the old; I actually played it a while ago)

Doomworld forum topic

Difficulty picks up a bit here in a fun conceptual design. I also thought there was a nice use of lost souls but the rest wasn’t so bad either. There’s a bit of a Plutonia feel so far, mostly visually.

Bottom line: The first map you can sink your teeth into a bit, but not the first done well

@HAK3180 Thanks for posting the video! I'm glad you enjoyed the map.

On the secret where you commented the wall wasn't any different: That's right, actually - it's right next to two other walls with the same texture that turn out to be doors, and you can also see the secret armor through the very close-by window. Two clues! It's not just a random wall...

You also mentioned about the radiation suit behind the switch being easy to miss. I actually messed with that a lot because I noticed that playtesters kept hitting the switch and immediately looking away, but I couldn't work out how to get players to pay more attention to it. It seems that everyone did at least all see the suit before jumping off, though. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

There aren't any really drastic changes in the more recent version of Wyrmwood but, if you're feeling charitable about replaying the maps so far, it might improve your experience a little bit if you started anew with it (and didn't jump into the damaging slime again).

@meapineapple, I'm totally fine with the radiation suit. It's not always (perhaps not even often) the mapper's fault if the player doesn't see something significant. As for the secret, okay. I don't think I actually looked from an angle to see the green armor in there, so I must have thought it was just an enemy cubby. 

I've actually already cheated my way to roughly the same situation at the end of Map 03 on the new version, so that's what I'll use going forward. 

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

It has a nice interconnected design again with monsters that will come to you. I did think this map’s easy was a little bit underwhelming in a couple spots, especially the end, but maybe I’ve just improved. Visually it’s fine. Nothing hideous and nothing breathtaking.

Bottom line: pretty typical of the mapper but a bit shorter and easier

@MarcinT

Doomworld forum topic

It's pretty easy with only a handful of meaningful encounters, pretty much all after the halfway point. It's decently laid out, but there is a little bit of switch hunting or switch guessing at least. Visually, it seems like a simplistic vanilla map with some detail added in, which may well actually be what happened. Overall, the map kinda wears out is welcome because it feels tedious with so many small, distinct areas that aren't really connected to each other.

Bottom line: There's some fun to be had here and some Doom 1 nostalgia, but a lot of this is kinda meh.

@Capellan

Doomworld forum topic

Map 27 “Demesne” – another low supply map but I like the idea here

Map 28 “Icon” – I rather enjoyed this one: open but tense

Map 29 “Hellmaker” – great visuals and then a bit of a boss fight.

Bottom line: Getting toward the end there is some break in difficulty. Makes you curious for Map 30.

Edited by HAK3180

@Lorenz0

idgames download page

I mostly enjoyed it. It was fairly tough from time to time, and some of the hitscanners were a bit frustrating with their range at times, but I didn’t think the difficulty was cheap or unfair in most cases. I didn’t really like the first big slaughter fight for one of the keys, but I found the rest of the combat fairly enjoyable, especially the big cavern slaughter section with the one mastermind. I thought that section was a bit tame, actually, but the finale certainly made up for it. All in all, I don’t mind the style. It’s not slaughter all the way through at all, and there’s definitely some enjoyable scenery, but I do think the main part of the map was a bit bland. Other parts were very attractive though.

Bottom line: It’s long and fairly tough, but I think done well for the most part.

@HAK3180

Thanks for playing, I'm glad you enjoyed the map, or at least some parts of it ;D

I appreciate the commentary, I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

Next time I'll probably send you something smaller to play ;)

Btw don't call me ''Lorenzero'', it's just Lorenzo :>

@DMPhobos

Doomworld forum topic

It’s definitely Knee Deep in the Dead. It features numerous allusions to specific E1 levels without coming off as cheap or like it’s a copy-paste job. I think this map features a great layout and interesting combat throughout. My only minor complaint is that while the gameplay is solid throughout, the only seriously threatening fights are pretty obvious traps.

Bottom line: It’s fun – it’s like playing the whole episode condensed into a map only slightly bigger than one E1 map.

Edited by HAK3180

Thank you for the demo and commentary!
Indeed some areas were done with a particular map in mind, but i tried that they didn't felt like direct tributes and have them instead felt more natural to the level progression. Im looking foward to hear your thoughts on the next maps, also i recently updated the wad with some small changes so you might want to download the mapset again to keep the latest version

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

Difficulty is fitting for the second to last map. It also has a somewhat unique look to it, even if the conceptual design has been used before. There’s a lot of fun here with exploring the different areas and challenging encounters throughout. The only thing I missed from this map was some of the cleverness of the encounters. It was there in the big fight at the end, but up until then, it seemed a little more like brute force/strength in numbers, whereas normally the challenge comes from skillfully thought out monster placement and selection.

Bottom line: A somewhat piecemeal map with fun challenge

Nice! You did really well in the YK setpiece killing the Cybers and Spiders in the first try! That was awesome to watch! The invisible ledge was the thing that was worried most in this map. In the end, I think it worked well, even though it's not indeed the perfect solution for the map :/ I fixed two spots where it shouldn't have impassible lines, so hopefully it'll feel less inconsistent!

Thanks a lot once again for the playthrough! :)

I watched the video (well, I didn't quite have time to finish it, but there's only a few minutes left).  Map 27 is quite unfriendly, isn't it? :)

I just re-jigged maps 29 and 30.  They're 95% the same (99% in the case of map30), but the new map29 avoids the visible-to-the-player stuck monster problem of the original version (which did actually happen to you, I see - there's a caco stuck in an arachnotron at one point of your video) and has a different final action required.  Up to you if you want to replay map29 or not.  You certainly don't need to play both versions of map30.  If you don't replay map29, then just play the original map30.

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

Pretty good stuff here. Crazy start but it’s kinda unique and it’s fair. The main fight is certainly challenging, but it’s well thought out. The central cyberdemons are used very well and the rest of the monster selection and placement complements well. It’s a dynamic encounter and you’ve got to keep moving and taking it bit by bit. There’s shelter, but you can never stay there too long. There’s plenty of supplies, but not enough to be reckless, and I like the location of the BFG within the level. I would like to see a few extra supplies after you come back to the same location for a second big fight. Or maybe some of the ones from before move to later even. Visually, it’s pretty good. It could use a few more textures here and there, but it doesn’t really have any “this is extremely dull” moments.

Bottom line: The ending definitely highlights the progress Zolgia108 has made in every aspect of mapping

Djinn is a unique megawad. I’ve had mixed feelings about it, to say the least. I think it’s come a long way in a lot of “objective” standards of mapping. Subjectively, there are things about it I’m never gonna like, and that’s okay. I think most Doomers could enjoy this some, but its appeal is somewhat niche. I think after this continues to be polished, those down whose alley this is will really like it a lot.

thanks m8 for everything, i had so much fun watching you playing this map, and i laughed a lot too ahhahaah :) i think that without your help and criticizing i wouldn't have been able to improve and progress the right way, i owe you a lot! I hope you have read the at least the freaking last ending text, if you didn't then do it dammit.

I already polished and found new glitches and by now i am on map 17, i think that by the end of next month i will be able to release this set, and then i ll start working with my new mapping skills on new crazy djinnish stuff full of custom monsters to haunt you in your dreams

I think the map went right, or so it seems, i'm not sure about the extra supplies, you have the bfg and you still had some health here and there, you ended the level quite well, but i'll surely consider your advice. I will probably make it so that the switches won't be semihidden, it wasn't my intention in fact i made phasing light sectors but to no avail, this map should be straightforward so i will fix that for sure.

Thanks again Hak, i'll let you know about the release!

Edited by Zolgia108

@MarcinT

Doomworld forum topic

The combat is definitely more challenging here with a few clever encounters, but a lot of it is camping or tedium. I think the biggest flaw in this map is the layout. Almost every room connects to exactly one other room by a door, so it’s very linear and hardly even suggests non-linearity. It becomes boring, almost like playing a few dozen tiny levels, rather than one level, because there isn’t always cohesion among the different rooms either.

Bottom line: The type of progression does not mix well with the length and hodgepodge of visual themes.

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

The potentially tough start is not really indicative of the rest of the map, but it’s not boring. There’s just enough custom textures and little surprises to make this wad not just another Doom 2 wad; it has some character. I thought the cave area was a little empty for how big it was; overall the map felt a little too easy.

Bottom line: not much to say – it’s short and simple

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

I really like the look here: a strangely somewhat hellish city. I had a good time even though I found what are probably the two “signature” fights to be somewhat lacking: The kinda dark room with hitscanners and a hell knight is too easily campable and the cacodemons did not come in to get me, and some didn’t even fly high enough to hit me.

Bottom line: short and sweet

@HAK3180 Thanks for playing! It's good to see you stocking up on health, finally

The map 4 cave area is definitely on the tame side, but you'll see this come up again later. And next time, it won't be as gentle...

The cacodemon encounter is definitely more interesting than the shooting gallery you had if you exit the building. I'm not sure I'd want to push the player out too forcefully, though.

On videos not recording: That's weird, especially how frequently it's happening. When I record gameplay, I can always see the recording software window - OBS in my case - off to the side. I always check that there's a recording indicator there.

@meapineapple, the software I use does not seem to allow different hotkeys for start and stop recording. That must be the issue - that I'm pressing it twice on accident, since I end up with less than one second videos. But there's also a start and stop recording sound, and if I thought I heard the stop sound before having even gotten started, I would definitely start over to make sure. So I guess I need to listen more closely and be more careful with my fingers...

@Capellan

(I just played the old version)

Doomworld forum topic

I was not expecting this, but I didn’t really know what to expect. It’s quite simple and not very difficult. I thought the darkness was a nice touch to hide the switches a little bit and keep you a little uneasy about whether a dangerous projectile might be heading for your face.

Bottom line: A fairly tame but appropriate closer

Doom 404 reminds me of Doom 2 in a lot of ways, from the vanilla resources to the level designs sometimes. As such, it's by no means eye candy, but it's well put together and looks good enough not to complain. It even has an all-encompassing theme that works pretty well, all things considered, even though any given individual would probably have to read the map texts file to "get it," at least for certain parts. It's got a lot of good combat and a variety of ways to throw it at you, as well as a very well done gradual incline in difficulty. I think the wad would benefit from a clear balance for either pistol starts or continuous, instead of between/both, but as it is, you do get variety, which could add to replay value. I think anyone who likes Classic Doom should have no reason not at least to give this a shot.

@DMPhobos

Doomworld forum topic

Similar to the E1 map, it has some nice allusions to Shores of Hell maps and definitely picks up on the gameplay style. So it’s not that hard, but definitely has some fun and engaging combat. I really like the layout: intricate and explorative, even a touch mazey at times. I will say this: I only found 3/5 secrets, but I would have liked to see some of the more involved secrets that you see in Doom 1 – significant optional areas, secrets within secrets, secret keys, etc. But again, I only got 60%.

Bottom line: a fine followup to the first map: a fun E2 adventure.

@HAK3180Thank you again for the video, and also for pointing out some texture glitches, it was fun seeing how you were craving for a berserk and the find one nearby, and also seeing you kill the baron with monster infight, You didn't missed much from the secrets, just a lite amp, and a blue armor on the slime outside. Also it seems the pinky demon on one ambush went thru the teleporter to the berserk secret and ruined the ambush hehe

For the third don't expect many allusions to the classic maps since i wasn't trying to follow faithfully the style of the original maps unlike the previous ones, and it's considerably bigger than the previous ones, anyway, the texture issues you pointed out have been fixed along with a couple of details i caught on, so thanks again for pointing them out

Edited by DMPhobos