Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

NaNoWADMo 2018

Got a Discord up and running if anyone wants to stop by and chat! Here's the link: https://discord.gg/bh6TBTC. I hope I've set this thing up correctly.

2 hours ago, TheOrganGrinder said:

Huh.  I've never speedmapped before.

Sign me the fuck up.

Glad to have you!

I'm a lazy mapper but I somehow manage to squeeze out results under pressure and limits.

Highly doubt I'll make a full megawad, but seeing as I make a map once per 5 years on average, reaching something like 6 maps would be neat.

Sign me up.

You know, i'm pretty tempted to join this, but as a wrote above, i'm making a similar thing by myself, so... I don't know, let me think about it.

Edited by Walter confetti

Welcome aboard, everybody!

I've updated the OP again after a really good question from @Phobus on the Discord. Putting together a resource pack of textures/music/sprites/etc before the start of the challenge is perfectly fine. The point's just not to start on maps until November 1st.

I've been going back and forth with this in my head for the last couple days.  I could either: A) spend next month topping off a set of other speedmaps I have laying around; or B) Do nothing like usual; or C) do this crazy thing!

So sure, I'll do this crazy thing.  I look forward to see what abominations come out of this.

I've only just seen this thread, and it sounds like an interesting idea. Best of luck to all those getting involved next month!

I had a fun vanilla-but-not-quite-vanilla megawad idea for a while, and this could be a good opportunity to get it done... let's see if I can finish preparing the gameplay and audiovisuals in a week!

I often tend to give up any work on my maps, because ideas just stop flowing, so this time I'll be prepared with pre-drawn maps. Sign me in.

On 10/19/2018 at 5:34 PM, Memfis said:

Don't get too excited guys. YOU'RE ALL GONNA FAIL!

The OP sets the success criteria as "if you get anything done, pat yourself on the back! You did it!", so presumably most people will actually succeed (though they won't finish megawads)

I won't be formally participating in this, but I will be noodling around with some maps.  I've currently completed 14 levels this year, and knocking over a couple more before 2019 would be nice.

in parallel I think I'll try to make a "megawad" of 34 MIDI tunes
keep ya updated as to whether this idea actually goes ahead or not lol
anyone playing along on this thread will be able to use any of the tunes of course

1 hour ago, Gothic said:

I'll be prepared with pre-drawn maps.

In Discord server people said that was a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Gothic said:

I often tend to give up any work on my maps, because ideas just stop flowing, so this time I'll be prepared with pre-drawn maps. Sign me in.

Just an FYI, we've been talking in the Discord about the possibility of drawing out maps before the start of the challenge. At least for the moment, I'm considering that "working on the maps" prior to the 30-day window. Obviously, though, that only matters if you care about the official rules. If pre-drawn maps help you get more work done, go for it!

41 minutes ago, yakfak said:

in parallel I think I'll try to make a "megawad" of 34 MIDI tunes
keep ya updated as to whether this idea actually goes ahead or not lol
anyone playing along on this thread will be able to use any of the tunes of course

Oh my gosh, that sounds awesome. Please do!

This seems fun. I might be able to, but not sure. Though, I'm curious about the turnout. 

I'm upset that this was so poorly timed with regards to the 'doom crap' I have on the go already, so I won't be participating. If there's a next time, count me in!

I've joined the discord, so I can at least play spectator to this event! :D

Good luck to all involved. :)

I made Zone 300 in about 3 months. Hmm what can I do in 1 month?, I could create 32 small maps below my best abilities. I am currently working on a long term project myself and been a busy father I think I'll pass on this. Looking forward to the completed maps though, esp Jimmy and AD_79.

I think I've got everyone signed up who wanted to be. If not, let me know. And there's still time to join in if you haven't yet!

One week till the madness begins!

I've been planning for this just to see if i could come up with enough ideas to fill up a megawad in a month, and I think I've gotten what I need. Sign me up!

If it's not mandatory to start at 1st of November, I could join this (I have something to do at that day and I don't know when I return home to my pc)...

On 10/25/2018 at 2:39 PM, Walter confetti said:

If it's not mandatory to start at 1st of November, I could join this (I have something to do at that day and I don't know when I return home to my pc)...

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. No, it's not required for the challenge that you start on the 1st, just that all the maps are created within the month of November.

Anyway, glad you're in!

Best of luck to everyone! As for me I don't reckon I'll participate: with all the projects I'm finally getting out of the way, I'd prefer to just take it easy for now rather than hitch my wagon on another project (especially one with the potential to be somewhat demanding). Maybe next year, who knows.

EDIT: A request: would I be able to link your server in the ASScord? I have a channel where I keep links to other "speedy" (mapping or otherwise) Doom servers to encourage ASS participants to visit them and I feel like yours would slot right in.

Edited by Obsidian

24(-ish) hours left, folks! Get your mice and keyboards ready!

On 10/29/2018 at 4:42 PM, Obsidian said:

Best of luck to everyone! As for me I don't reckon I'll participate: with all the projects I'm finally getting out of the way, I'd prefer to just take it easy for now rather than hitch my wagon on another project (especially one with the potential to be somewhat demanding). Maybe next year, who knows.

EDIT: A request: would I be able to link your server in the ASScord? I have a channel where I keep links to other "speedy" (mapping or otherwise) Doom servers to encourage ASS participants to visit them and I feel like yours would slot right in.

Thanks Obsidian! And sure, of course you can link to the NaNo server.

On 10/29/2018 at 7:43 PM, jerrysheppy said:

Sign me up.  Worst that can happen is I'll have to bail out.

Done!