Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

Anyone want to create a fork of Wadsmoosh for Wad Shovelware disks?

Since Wadsmoosh can merge & compile the official id DOOM wads in one packed PK3 file for GZDoom, I would want to see interest of someone creating a fork of the program except for Shovelware Disks with WAD file from the early to mid 1990's.

But then you would get a huge list of hundreds of maps ingame? How would that work?

Better use something like this:

OK I get that, you compile them into 1 wad. Then you have this huge lost ingame? Of hundreds of maps?

32 minutes ago, VGA said:

OK I get that, you compile them into 1 wad. Then you have this huge lost ingame? Of hundreds of maps?

Yeah, removing every single duplicate of the same levels that appear over and over again from disk to disk, wad to wad, etc.

On 10/25/2018 at 6:30 PM, Wadmodder RiderPùdu said:

Yeah, removing every single duplicate of the same levels that appear over and over again from disk to disk, wad to wad, etc.

But...how is the player to decide which to play? Even GZDoom's episode menu can only take a certain number of entries before it starts going off screen, and that number is well below the "thousands" of maps on these discs.

Huh? No matter how many duplicate maps you remove, there will still be hundreds or thousands of maps left. You won't be able to realistically use the ingame episode selection menu like Wadsmoosh does.

inb4 another "but we will remove the duplicates" reply

You *could* take the time to figure out a semi-logical sequence, and make a bunch of huge episodes. But, is that useful? Is anyone going to sit down and play 100 levels at a time? I can't really see an up-side.

Also the time taken to cover graphics and sound conflicts will be prohibitive, because that's not handled automatically, it has to be coded in.

Bumping this thread because I kind of like the idea.

What about forking the Master Level "smoosher" and just make it a general purpose .wad compiler? I haven't used it in a long time so I forget how it's implemented.

On 10/30/2018 at 5:07 PM, Wadmodder RiderPùdu said:

Then, i think you might want to create GZDOOM specific definition files to fix these problems. At least 

6 hours ago, beanz said:

What about forking the Master Level "smoosher" and just make it a general purpose .wad compiler? I haven't used it in a long time so I forget how it's implemented.

The question remains, who is going to put in the time to do that to literal thousands of files? They can't "just" be automatically generated as-is; someone would have to write the code to do that, too, and account for edge-cases that will undoubtedly come up when your data set is that large.