Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

52 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

@DMPhobos That thought seems incomplete (since I [what?])

... since i wasn't trying to follow faithfully the style of the original maps unlike the previous ones...

I came home really tired and i didn't read what i was typing hehe, fixed

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

I’m not to big on custom monsters, but I’m really not keen on custom bosses, especially when so much of it is a matter of figuring out exactly what’s going on. Tower of Babel was very simple: big baron thing has lots of health and shoots rockets that can kill you. The end. This had a lot going on, and while I admire the originality and uniqueness, it’s just not my cup of tea. I finally won by basically camping, but honestly, I would have much rather just fought several cyberdemons with the projectile-launching items.

Bottom line: unique boss fight but not my thing

Exomoon is excellent. The gameplay never overwhelms you with too long a map or massive hordes of enemies, but they’re placed so well that there’s always a challenge. The maps tend to be a little monotonous visually, but the textures are nice ones and the layouts are ingenious. I think the only way you will not enjoy this wad is if you demand pure eye candy all the time or if you hate exploration.

@MarcinT

Doomworld forum topic

It’s got some decent looking areas that have been given attention and detail. Other areas, in particular the huge waterfall area, could use more visual appeal. This map has a lot of switches that start to get annoying. The progression is a little odd but it’s not so bad per se – just too many switches, like when you have to press about 30 when 5 would suffice. As for the combat, you think the ending will be somewhat of a challenge and then it’s not. Also, the bridge section with commandos and cacodemons was pretty fun. Other than that, it was pretty much all way too easy and simple. Hardly any multidirectional pressure and a ton of plasma.

Bottom line: A few too many switches and a few too few meaningful encounters

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

This map is pretty short and linear. It’s interesting to look at, but it seems to serve as a filler map whose only purpose is to give you the super shotgun. Incidentally, the fight for said weapon is by far the most interesting encounter.

Bottom line: it’s a simple map with some unique visual touches

Thanks for playing @HAK3180! Most of the maps are indeed pretty bite-size, not only map 6. Map 7 coming up is one of the longer maps in the WAD, I hope you enjoy the more substantive area...

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

This one is a little more traditional visually, and libraries can be duds sometimes, but I liked this one. It had a nice assortment of enemies, good surprises, good secrets, and even a wee bit of mazeishness among the shelves.

Bottom line: It’s a fun library with a lot of secret action

@DMPhobos

Doomworld forum topic

I love it. It’s not as obviously tributary to Inferno as the first two were two were to their respective episodes, but it’s just a great level. It’s got plenty of exploration, a bit of a city vibe, dynamic gameplay, and excellent flow that never leaves you scratching your head. My only negative is I would have liked a plasma weapon (may have been a secret) and perhaps a few more rockets, but for 226 kills, the shotgun-chaingun combat really did not get boring or tedious.

Bottom line: Excellent vanilla map. I wouldn’t touch a thing except maybe a few “Things.”

@MarcinT

Doomworld forum topic

There are various stages of the map via teleporter, each unlocking the next and each presenting a different challenge. Most of them are way too easy. There’s consistently enough space to trivialize almost every encounter. The only exception was one in which killing all the monsters was nothing more than a waste of time and ammo; they weren’t blocking your path or guarding any key or goodies. The ending is four or five cyberdemons in a massive space. It’s possible to fight them all at once, which would be kind of interesting, but the level presents itself so that you naturally take them one at a time, which is just too easy in a huge square with no obstacles and no other monsters and plenty of supplies.

Bottom line: too much space makes it too easy

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

This map has a fun start to it with some somewhat exciting camping and a fairly high monster density for the space. But after the first fight which has two or three waves, that’s pretty much it. The combat beyond the only door is pretty insignificant, so it seemed to me a strange a use of an invulnerability. I essentially wasted it because I was always sure worse was coming.

Bottom line: It’s a good map but deceptively short/simple.

Thanks for the playthrough! It seems I'll have to make some major revamp in that boss fight. >.< Still, your thoughts were a lot helpful to understand what was actually happening, so thanks a lot for the video again haha!

From get-go, I think I'll remove the boss mancubus projectile, so the rocket projectile will be a lot easier to spot. I'll also have to redesign the arena (the big hole in the middle isn't helping much), work a bit more with the covers and make more clear how the spheres behave. (maybe creating an additional area in the map before the boss where you deal with different spheres so it's clear for the player what they shot, how they behave, and how you deal with them). There will still be some guessing job when dealing with the boss, but hopefully not as much as there's actually.

Anyway, thanks a lot (really!) for playing Exomoon and taking the time to record the whole thing! (really, 20 fairly large maps recorded was an awesome job) Even if the last map was kind of shit, I hope the previous ones were fun enough haha I've learned a lot from watching the playthrough and hopefully, my next project will offer some more smooth experience :D

@Deadwing, well, don't change too much; I think a lot of people will like it. But I do think introducing the spheres earlier is a great idea. Again, this is an excellent wad.

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

Well, I don’t know if this map malfunctioned or what, but it was very empty. I really did enjoy taking it in though. It seemed to have a layout conducive to some good fights and as it was, it did a good job of making me feel very uncomfortable.

Bottom line: It’s creepy and scary but not difficult.

@DMPhobos

(Not much happens after about 21:00, but I do eventually find what I’m looking for)

Doomworld forum topic

I think the combat is what shines here the most. The incidental stuff toward the beginning is very E4, as are some of the traps. A few of them are very effective. I really like the use of the bosses here and I really like the layout. It certainly has the potential to be confusing, but it flows nicely and allows you to go at your own pace. Reminds me a bit of Fear and And Hell Followed. Visually, it was more of the “inside” look, and I would have liked to see an instance or two of prominent rock use or something, but what you get is good and definitely E4.

Bottom line: It could stand to be a bit more difficult, but it was engaging, intriguing , and foreboding.

Eternal Damnation is good stuff. If you still like Doom 1 maps, this is like an abridged version of an Ultimate Doom megawad.

43 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Eternal Damnation is good stuff. If you still like Doom 1 maps, this is like an abridged version of an Ultimate Doom megawad.

E4 is kinda a hit or miss depending on the player, since the progression means you could finish the map very early on with plenty of monsters around, but that can be good or bad depending on the player. The reason i hid the BFG like that was because i wanted it to be available before any of the other keys, but to get it you had to get close to the boss monsters to make the blue key available and still fight for it. I might have hidden it a bit too much tho, sorry hehe. 

Thank you for the comments and for pointing some stuff that needs to be fixed, im glad you enjoyed the mapset!

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

I like this one a lot. There’s a lot of exploring to do, a lot of perched monsters to snipe you in various parts of the map, and a lot of goodies to grab. Once again, the abundance of cells made this map feel like it was going to destroy you at some point, but the big finale really did not warrant as many supplies as this map contained. I was using plasma just to get rid of it a lot of the time, so a few of the fights could have been more threatening if the thought of running out of cells had even crossed my mind. Still, the fighting was engaging and fun, and the environment was very enjoyable.

Bottom line: my favorite map of the wad

@rdwpa

download the .wad

I probably judge speedmaps a little more leniently because I know how slow I map. So you don’t get too much in terms of visuals here, but there is a decent sense of being in a locus. In any case, I certainly like the gameplay and progression. You can always see more than you can currently access, so you have a sense of goal. You can tell that time and care went into the encounters. It’s not too difficult, but it engages you in a fun way. I like how the big fight makes you carefully consider your various options for how to handle it.

Bottom line: gameplay over visual beauty here: pretty high marks for the former, not too bad for the latter

Thanks, that was entertaining to watch! In particular, I liked the initial selectiveness with targets and considering different options.

By 'conventional map', I meant something that is more standard difficulty-wise and has a strong sense of progression. The detail level is low since I can't do a lot with that in the time I spent (~3 hours, I think). But while thinking about your commentary on the view into the larger cave and its uninterrupted SP_ROCK, I realized it wouldn't have taken too long to implement features with contrasting textures, so it was still cool to get feedback on that. 

Edited by rdwpa

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

A lot of this map seemed to be secret and I did not find it, so there was something to be desired for me. But it was a somewhat appropriate ending with a horde of enemies and a boss. It wasn’t very hard, but it was appropriately staged. And I do very much like the arena in which it all happens.

Bottom line: It was a nice looking level but it left me a bit unfulfilled.

Wyrmwood is pretty cool. I especially like how it has little pieces of uniqueness here and there so that it's definitely something different, but you wouldn't necessarily know that from any random screenshot or a few seconds of gameplay. It tells a little bit of a story and seems to be balanced fairly well for continuous play until possibly the last couple maps, which have tons of supplies. It's not too long, so give it a play.

Thank you for playing Wyrmwood!

Map 11 does have a quite large secret area (containing almost a third of all the map's monsters!) which you came so close to discovering.

I may tweak the Cyberdemon fight a little, but the intention was never for it to be an especially difficult map, just an exciting closer where you kill a lot of things.

For the first time in a long time, there's nothing in my queue. I also happen to be going on another trip so that I will unlikely do any videos for about a week and a half. I'll probably not even be on the Internet much, but please continue to post maps and I'll get to them as soon as I can.

There are also others who are willing to give feedback if you ask, some of whom will also give you a video with live commentary, if that's what you want. In any case, you can find me here for the foreseeable future (just not the next ten days or so).

I'm making a megawad full of speedmaps for nanowadmo! Most of the maps I've been doing in 2-3 hours.

I went and spent like 8 hours on one of the maps today, though. It's a boom-format wolfenstein-themed map that will probably go to my megawad's map31 slot. And I would be very excited to see you try it out @HAK3180 since it's so different from my usual fare. (I don't think I've ever actually made a wolfenstein map before.) It does have difficulty settings but I think you'll enjoy it most on UV.

meapineapple nanowadmo map31 candidate.zip

edit: Very tiny improvement - meapineapple nanowadmo map31 candidate (2).zip

Edited by meapineapple : Slightly improved version

@meapineapple, that project is crazy. If I did it, every level would be like one square room with two monsters and an exit.

@xdarkmasterx, absolutely. I won't be recording for a bit, though. And could you link the thread for the map?