Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

What Video Game(s) are you Currently Ignoring?

Any JRPG, I know that these games have a huge following, but anytime a character starts talking or read any dialogue, I cant help but cringe.

@crazyflyingdonut

Are you sure that only CoD have players like that? You should watch videos of League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike. And if you judge only from some gameplay videos, then good luck to you, you will need it.

32 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

I've only heard of Call of Duty because of it's negative reception. I've seen videos of 5-year-olds screaming the life out of themselves on a shitty microphone in online play. If I played Call of Duty, I would be hearing that every time I played, because judging from the videos I saw, there's always some sort of drama happening in the online play of Call of Duty, so it's probably never peaceful.

Then stay out of it? You know, CoD is also Singleplayer, not just Multiplayer. I got completely fucking sick of retards in online games as well, but if the game features a fully fledged SP mode, then that's my way to go and I ignore the MP component altogether.

That being said, my recommendation still stands, but it's your call.

Just now, Agent6 said:

Then stay out of it? You know, CoD is also Singleplayer, not just Multiplayer. I got completely fucking sick of retards in online games as well, but if the game features a fully fledged SP mode, then that's my way to go and I ignore the MP component altogether.

That being said, my recommendation still stands, but it's your call.

I am not playing Call of Duty, everyone accept it and move on!

@crazyflyingdonut No, you have to play Call of Duty. You'll never be accepted until you do. In fact, I want you to buy the Digital Deluxe Enhanced Edition of Black Ops 4 for $169.99 Canadian right now.

2 minutes ago, Ajora said:

@crazyflyingdonut No, you have to play Call of Duty. You'll never be accepted until you do. In fact, I want you to buy the Digital Deluxe Enhanced Edition of Black Ops 4 for $169.99 Canadian right now.

Accepted to where? Also, I don't even live in Canada.

4 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Accepted to where? Also, I don't even live in Canada.

You'll never be accepted by elite gamers such as myself until you properly experience the meticulously well-crafted gameplay that Call of Duty has to offer. I don't know where you live, so I just used my own country's pricing as a point of reference.

1 minute ago, Ajora said:

You'll never be excepted by elite gamers such as myself until you properly experience the meticulously well-crafted gameplay that Call of Duty has to offer. I don't know where you live, so I just used my own country's pricing as a point of reference.

Call of Duty is just as bad as Terrywads!

1 minute ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Call of Duty is just as bad as Terrywads!

Lmao! Filthy casual detected. Call of Duty is the benchmark that defines modern FPS games. 

Just now, Rimantas said:

You didn't even play it... Hopeless

I know rite? How is this noob gonna shit on the most critically acclaimed FPS series of all time without having even played a single game? That is some epic fail right there, bro.

Just now, Ajora said:

I know rite? How is this noob gonna shit on the most critically acclaimed FPS series of all time without having even played a single game? That is some epic fail right there, bro.

Enough! I will not argue about Call of Duty on this thread any longer... I do not wish to derail this thread. Everyone else, carry on with your discussion.

I have played only CoD 1 yet and it was damn good, i really felt war. The only problem in CoD franchise is that many releases are too similar, almost same as with NFS franchise. But it's really possible to find CoD game you will love.

13 hours ago, yakfak said:

red dead redemption 2 can get the hell out of my headspace

most big budget releases slide off me anyway but im amazed by teh dark souls and dishonored serieseses

+100000000

i have a Steam library of 500+ games and a bunch of stuff on GOG... i definitely have plenty of other ways to spend my time game-wise. the only reason i do engage with current big budget stuff is either out of a feeling of obligation because a lot of friends or acquaintances are talking about it... or thinking it might be one of the few things i actually like (like i actually made an effort to play Prey and Zelda Breath of The Wild at least a little because of that).

but i dunno... i've always been a person who has bought stuff used a few years after it came out because it's usually a lot cheaper at that point. i don't get the whole idea that you have to engage with stuff when it comes out or no one cares. it feels like a popularity contest also. but a lot of people (esp many in the videogame press) are very much that way.

Edited by ella guro

18 hours ago, Potatoguy said:

This could be an interesting thing to discuss about. I found myself to be straying away from very hyped/very well-reviewed games of this year (and other years) simply because of.... reasons.

Be it personal distain, lack of interesting, or otherworldly reasoning, there is just that odd feeling of not following what your friends/cohorts are playing, when by much word of mouth, the game in question sounds like a hell of a time. A damn fun game that "everyone should play." Yet, you just don't play it. Why could that be?

i just wanna add here... i think the reason i shy away from a lot of big stuff is it doesn't value your time. if i'm going to put so many hours into a game, i'd like to know that it was worth it. like i played Thief 1 recently for the first time and spent about 25 hours beating it... that was very much worth it! Thief is dense and has a lot of interesting missions. but 25 hours in another game can feel just like a total slog and waste of time. i try and watch out for that as much as i can, esp as i get a little older.

i also find the level of extraneous detail in the environments in a lot of modern games disorienting to navigate, and don't like using a compass to navigate (would rather just find my way around by myself). so those are two other reasons why i often don't.

I have to admit, for the last decade I've spent far more hours playing little indy retro games such as FTL or Minecraft than modern AAA titles. They just seem a lot more fun.

pretty much all of them. i have a huge library of ZX Spectrum and NES games to play. and my own DooM sourceport. ain't that enough?

Shin Megami Tensei series, as far as JRPG franchises go, I haven't started on that yet. Also Ys series I haven't started on. And I also still have a save from Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story which I haven't touched in nine years.

My Steam and GOG backlogs, and most games in general. Couple PS4 games I still have in shrinkwrap. Depression? Existential crisis? Internal rewiring of dopamine reward circuitry? Too early to tell :D

Assassins Creed.

What's the point in buying the newest game when the next one in the series gets released literally less than a year after the one before it came out?

I hate when you see a game that looks good and you think "I'll buy that when it's cheap". Then just when it gets to like £30 the newest game has already come out and no one is playing the older one anymore, despite it being only a few months off a year old.

Read Dead 2 and Last of Us because i wanna feel special. And not trendy ;)

Serious note: to be honest I was not interested at all with Black Ops 4. I love me some Battle Royale and love me some CoD. But damn $60 for half a game? No thank you.

On 10/26/2018 at 11:52 PM, Doomkid said:

The only game I’m awaiting with anything resembling eagerness is Doom Eternal. I have relatively little free time for gaming as it is, most of it is spent with Old Doom.

this. i have trouble keeping up with the dwmc's one map per day, so i rather spend my free time with doom. and a bit of quake champions, but i'm rusty.

Edited by Pirx

On 10/27/2018 at 6:34 AM, crazyflyingdonut said:

Trying to ignore Fortnite and it's massively growing fanbase. Everywhere I go I am forced to hear or see something about Fortnite. What are they trying to do, trying to get me to play Fortnite? They're all like "JOIN US" or some shit like that.

as for what i'm ignoring, i never got the appeal of these cartoony looking games. even more so that epic apparently stopped working on unreal tournament because this thing is flourishing.

Except for the first game, the Assassin's Creed series as the first had my most favourite time period and I burned myself out with the repetitive game mechanics afterwards.

The Witcher series, I originally heard some negative criticisms from a friend and I pretty much ignore all of them. I hear amazing things about number 3 but don't want to play catch up.

Dark Souls. The difficulty hype lost my interest but a part of me feels I will quite enjoy the game at times. The Bosses and dark environments look nice.

The Pubg / Fortnight trend. In all honesty I believe I would get engaged in the game to a degree but during its hype phase I was busy and a bit put off with everyone and their dog playing it. Pubg looks like a buggy wreck bad for solo players like myself which I learned my lesson from playing Dayz back in the day.

I never played Witcher 3, the insane circlejerk over it that I see online really put me off it which I know is pretty fucking stupid but there you go.

My backlog consists of approximately:

200 Steam games

50 GOG games

10 PS4 games

20 PS3 games

40 PS2 games

5 PS1 games

And a buttload of emulated games.

I tend to stay away from most of the AAA titles of this day and age, mostly because my computer can't handle it. The only thing that piqued my interest from this year was Detroit: Become Human, but since I don't own a PS4, I won't be playing it anytime soon.

There's several older titles in my steam library I'm ignoring too, both the Watch_Dogs titles, Dishonored, etc. I've gotten to points where I'm kind of stuck so I've gotta get back on track with them. I bought some more stealth-focused titles hoping it would help with my stealthing skills a bit, haven't quite gotten there yet :p

On 10/27/2018 at 6:34 AM, crazyflyingdonut said:

Trying to ignore Fortnite and it's massively growing fanbase. Everywhere I go I am forced to hear or see something about Fortnite. What are they trying to do, trying to get me to play Fortnite? They're all like "JOIN US" or some shit like that.

I know what you mean. There was an ad on Twitch for a Samsung phone that's using playing Fortnite on it as a selling point; nevermind that Android players had just recently be able to do that. It strongly reminds me of when Pokemon first hit the US. There was advertising for it everywhere and people were playing the Gameboy games and trading card game. I'm not a fan of turn-based RPG, so Pokemon was a no-go. I definitely remember getting shit for saying I didn't like Pokemon in general. Nowadays while Pokemon is still going strong, it isn't in-your-face so I don't mind it much. They do their thing and I do mine.

10 hours ago, Pirx said:

as for what i'm ignoring, i never got the appeal of these cartoony looking games. even more so that epic apparently stopped working on unreal tournament because this thing is flourishing.

You know what was the kicker for me? I was watching my cousin play it on a Switch and TV, and I happen to see posters of Jazz Jackrabbit and UT99 on a wall he was about to tear down for wood.

I don't mind cartoony aesthetics; they still look good today (see TF2) and they don't have to live up to the increasingly finer detail that realistic games demand.

It's funny how Fortnite started off as a wave-based fortress-building zombie survival game and was a paid game that wasn't doing very well. Then the whole battle royale thing blew up with PUBG, and Epic decide that after working with the people behind PUBG, they too want in on it. So they assign the UT team to create the BR mode and release it for free. Now they're raking in the bucks like crazy, and they've even put up 100 million of them as prize money for tournaments. Meanwhile, the paid-for PvE game hasn't received nearly as much attention as the free BR game, and apparently it will go free-to-play next year.

As for the question at hand, I don't care much for any of the battle royale games, or PvP for that matter. I get too tense for something that's supposed to be fun.