Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[HotPocket]

Custom texture/Base resource trouble with Slade 3

Question

I've been trying to add custom textures and I did manage to do so, but the default DOOM2 textures are still in the new tabs. ex: missingfalls.wad

All textures from N_SNWF10 and N_WFAL04 are custom. Everything below is from DOOM2.

2013908510_Screenshot(493).png.9c592d41d7e113b0300dc4c82fecd657.png

What I'm trying to do here is get rid of the default stuff so I can only have the custom juicy stuff. Also, the custom textures are supposed to be animated and they are dead still.

5 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Empyre said:

If you are making a PK3, rename your Patches folder to Textures. If you are making a WAD, rename P_START and P_END (or PP_START and PP_END, whichever you have) to TX_START and TX_END. Either way, delete PNAMES and TEXTURE1. Remember, this will only work in ZDoom and its children: GZDoom, QZDoom, and Zandronum, but not ZDaemon or Odamex.

Well, that is not entirely correct.

For example, in DOOM2.WAD textures are made up from the images between P_START and P_END (P1_START to P1_END, P2_START to P2_END and P3_START to P3_END) and in some cases a patch is used multiple times to create a TEXTURE.

So, to be able to use the actual TEXTURE, open Slade3 and then highlight the TEXTURE1 lump and open the Edit Textures editor. Highlight all textures in the righthand column and export to a folder of your choice. If you want to, you can select to have the textures converted to png (truecolor), which for GZDoom would be preferable, and place those in between TX_START and TX_END markers.

Then, as Empyre already mentioned, the lumps TEXTURE1 and PNAMES are no longer needed.

Edited by Kappes Buur

Because all your custom textures start with N_, the easiest way to see your textures would be to type N_ in the Filter, which is automatically highlighted when you open the texture browser. The fact that you have the option to browse the textures and flats together implies that you are mapping for ZDoom. If that is the case, and if all your textures are in a single patch, you could delete the TEXTURE1 lump and put the textures between TX_START and TX_END for a WAD or the Textures folder for a PK3, instead of where you put them as patches. That would do what you are trying to do.

To make the textures animated in ZDoom, use the ANIMDEFS lump. If not ZDoom, use Boom's ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps. If you are mapping for vanilla or limit-removing, your only option is to replace existing animated textures.

13 hours ago, Empyre said:

Textures folder for a PK3

How could I do that? I think it'd be easier since I'm just importing .wads/.pk3s as resources.

9 hours ago, [HotPocket] said:

How could I do that? I think it'd be easier since I'm just importing .wads/.pk3s as resources.

If you are making a PK3, rename your Patches folder to Textures. If you are making a WAD, rename P_START and P_END (or PP_START and PP_END, whichever you have) to TX_START and TX_END. Either way, delete PNAMES and TEXTURE1. Remember, this will only work in ZDoom and its children: GZDoom, QZDoom, and Zandronum, but not ZDaemon or Odamex.

13 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Well, that is not entirely correct.

For example, in DOOM2.WAD textures are made up from the images between P_START and P_END (P1_START to P1_END, P2_START to P2_END and P3_START to P3_END) and in some cases a patch is used multiple times to create a TEXTURE.

So, to be able to use the actual TEXTURE, open Slade3 and then highlight the TEXTURE1 lump and open the Edit Textures editor. Highlight all textures in the righthand column and export to a folder of your choice. If you want to, you can select to have the textures converted to png (truecolor), which for GZDoom would be preferable, and place those in between TX_START and TX_END markers.

Then, as Empyre already mentioned, the lumps TEXTURE1 and PNAMES are no longer needed.

In my earlier post, I said "if all your textures are in a single patch". I neglected to repeat that in my second post, assuming by then that it was a given.

@[HotPocket], What Kappes Buur said is better than what I said. Do that, and you should be all set.