Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LocalDuck

Claustrophobic 1.05 - A PSX Doom inspired map

Uh7906H.png

Howdy.

I spent a good two to three weeks developing this map for the Vinesauce Doom Mapping Contest II, it has been eight months since it's submission and while the contest is still on-going and the map has not been streamed yet, I am going to release it for anyone and everyone to look at.

Originally there was content that was ripped and taken from the PSX Doom source port and public code for the PSX Doom Hud and the missing archvile sounds provided by Aubrey Hodges himself, but due to the legality of it I'm not taking any chances and have taken out the sounds, font and PSX Doom related interface junk yet the map remains the same overall.

This singular map was designed with GZDoom and Doom II in mind, the version of GZDoom that was tested vigorously with this was is GZDoom 3.4.1, any previous versions are not supported and may include quirks if they are not properly used with the correct versions or above.

Freelook, crouching and jumping have been disabled but if for some reason they are enabled then you need to turn them off.

OpenGL is recommended due to marginal use of 3D Floors but software renders will usually run fine without them.

However this is my first map that I have taken on a serious role for and as such it's subject to criticism and rookie mistakes, I'm open to thoughts and discussion regarding the detail of the map and pacing as I only intended for this to be single player and to accommodate one player running through the level, even more development of the map was a continuous learning experience as I was starting out understanding the ACS Script system and attempting to tame the beast of Doom Builder.

To this date the only other known map I have made is a long and forgotten deathmatch map that was shown off in a skullstuff review back in ye olden days.

Images/Screenshots

Spoiler

BannX7b.pngU00sWRi.pngmdoS7yq.pngko6R9kG.png

Downloads

Claustrophobic v1.05

Claustrophobic v1.04

Claustrophobic v1.03

Claustrophobic V1.02

Changelog

v1.0 - Release Build [2/28/18]
• Release of main version

v1.1 - Hotfix Build [5/15/18]
• Patched multiple missing textures
• Patched misaligned textures
• Adjusted spelling issues

v1.2 - Update Build [10/28/18]
• Changed intro text to reflect new settings
• Force disabled Freelook, Jumping, Crouching
• Removed copyright content
• Removed fenderc01 dehacked patch

v1.3 - Update Build [10/31/18]
• Moved yellow key room to compensate backtracking
• Updated Power System and Fluid System text
• Updated Teleporter Facility text
• Updated Hardmode difficulty to allow infighting
• Fixed MAPINFO crash for development builds of GZDoom
• Fixed 'door broken beyond repair' not having a delay
• Fixed uncommon bug of door to final area not being lowerable
• Corrected several ceiling textures
• Corrected few wall textures
• Added missing secret flag to box secret

v1.4 - Hotfix Build [11/5/18]
• Fixed offset light
• Fixed missing texture during teleporter sequence
• Fixed chaingunner trap having missing fence textures
• Fixed missing script for final doors not being raised during switch sequence

v1.5 - Hotfix Build [12/6/18]
• Added missing secret flag to sewer office armor
• Changed messages for fluid and power machines
• Changed difficulty text to state alteration of monster scaling
• Moved teleporter entry to be infront of yellow door for clarity
• Fixed mancubus not having deaf flag
• Fixed fences in teleporter facility not being impassible
• Fixed missing texture in outdoor cliffs
• Fixed misaligned textures in starting rooms
• Fixed misaligned textures in chaingunner boss rooms
• Fixed misaligned textures in teleporter facility

Claustrophobic_1_05.zip

Edited by LocalDuck : Post Update/Hotfix Update

I'm about halfway through this (181/350 kills). Playing in 'Hard' mode, it's not bad, haven't died yet (but was down to 2% health at one point). It obviously needs a music track of some sort, preferably of the creepy, 'ambient' Hodges type. Some bits probably too easy, eg I did the whole sewer section without using any of the radsuits, was never in any real danger. Love the Hexen type appearance and atmosphere of that outdoors section.

Problem right now is that I can't proceed further because, although I've definitely switched on the power in the water-cave and sewers sections, I'm still being denied the use of some doors and switches. Originally played on GZDoom 3.2.0, then repeated on 3.4.1 as recommended. Here's what I got when trying to operate the switch:

Claust1.png.45ebfe3322ec22aade958757bbf92fed.png

The location of the switch is here:

Claust2.png.10f6aaf3ec135c17e42987ff3d4c0493.png

Also got locked into the upper room in this area, had to noclip out:

Claust3.png.ba4897ff631e94267c357d1bf21f8624.png

Edited by Summer Deep

Hm, that's strange it should work as is. I'll run through it again and see if I can replicate the bug, because you're suppose to turn on the fluid system in the back room first and then turn on the power.

Also the red room is suppose to have a secret if you run across the shotgun.

Edit: Level is working as intended, it seems like telling the player of which thing (Fluid control room first, then power structure unit.) to hit first was an oversight on my part but it's not a bug.

Red room is working as intended, pick up the shotgun to proceed through.

Edited by LocalDuck

Still can't get it to work. This time I reversed the order in which I activated the switches (sewer room first, cave room second), after which a message was displayed that all the power was online, but the switch I mentioned before still won't operate.

Red room fine now. The reason it didn't respond on my second playthrough was that I was using the IDKFA weapons cheat, in order to get through it as quickly as possible.

1 minute ago, Summer Deep said:

Still can't get it to work. This time I reversed the order in which I activated the switches (sewer room first, cave room second), after which a message was displayed that all the power was online, but the switch I mentioned before still won't operate.

Red room fine now. The reason it didn't respond on my second playthrough was that I was using the IDKFA weapons cheat, in order to get through it as quickly as possible.

I think you may of missed the point I addressed, in the back end with all the terminals and junk there is a switch to activate the fluid system to enable the station for power.

It's a development oversight and I should have made it more clear that the switch you're trying to press isn't the correct one, and that you need to hit the other switch deeper in that room that you're inside.

Okay, managed to sort that one out, and made it to the final phase (I think) of the map. Quite a few things I liked about it, with some decent combat situations (the room with the pillars and the imps/chaingunner/revenants sequence, for example, and numerous encounters involving the nightmare imps and spectres), the aforementioned misty outdoor area, the use of lighting effects and transparent textures....

What spoiled it for me though was the 'ending' that never ended. If I see a notification of 384 monsters killed out of a total of 387, I expect there to be three left, whether they're 3 zombies or 3 Cyberdemons. I don't expect within a matter of seconds to see the monster count at 396, then at 411, then 441 or whatever. Even if it's acceptable to pull this trick once or twice, it just becomes utterly tedious and demoralizing when it's done four or five times, with no end in sight. I eventually ran out of ammo - throughout the map there were quite a lot of rockets and plasma cells to be had, but I could never obtain the weapons themselves, which were presumably in secrets. As a last resort, I tried to get the Hell Knights and Revenants to engage in infighting, but it proved impossible to do so, as even when one of the former's missiles struck the latter, there was no retaliation. Very frustrating indeed.

53 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

Okay, managed to sort that one out, and made it to the final phase (I think) of the map. Quite a few things I liked about it, with some decent combat situations (the room with the pillars and the imps/chaingunner/revenants sequence, for example, and numerous encounters involving the nightmare imps and spectres), the aforementioned misty outdoor area, the use of lighting effects and transparent textures....

What spoiled it for me though was the 'ending' that never ended. If I see a notification of 384 monsters killed out of a total of 387, I expect there to be three left, whether they're 3 zombies or 3 Cyberdemons. I don't expect within a matter of seconds to see the monster count at 396, then at 411, then 441 or whatever. Even if it's acceptable to pull this trick once or twice, it just becomes utterly tedious and demoralizing when it's done four or five times, with no end in sight. I eventually ran out of ammo - throughout the map there were quite a lot of rockets and plasma cells to be had, but I could never obtain the weapons themselves, which were presumably in secrets. As a last resort, I tried to get the Hell Knights and Revenants to engage in infighting, but it proved impossible to do so, as even when one of the former's missiles struck the latter, there was no retaliation. Very frustrating indeed.

During development play through I usually conserve ammo but I'll agree that the rocket launcher should have been more obvious (Yellow room that was totally optional, but it's plain as day when you see it.) and the plasma gun is a total secret to find intentionally.

The ammo given in the end should have been more then enough but I understand if sometimes it's not enough, it sounds like I need to go back and do some fine tuning as for the monster count it's because the monsters don't exist until you start the sequence, they're not in the map until they're spawned in so the count is probably going up and there may be a way to fix that or manually teleporting them all by making them in the map somewhere.

But it's good to hear that a lot of the design was appreciated and liked for a first time map.

Edit: As for infighting, I had that disabled either through the map or in specific difficulties since the map was intended for Vinesauce Joel who uses and abuses infighting at times.

Thanks once again for the reply. Actually, by the time I had teleported to what I'm assuming to be the final arena, I'd forgotten all about the yellow room and the fact I had the yellow key. With 44 rockets in my armoury, that would hopefully have been enough to deal with what enemies remained. Unless, of course, that central structure contains a couple of AVs, who could run amok and revive half the monsters in the arena....There doesn't seem to be any means of returning to the main part of the map once one is in the final area, so I'll have to replay it from the start in a few days time - should be interesting!

EDIT: I definitely think you should consider reinstating infighting into any final version of this map. There's probably a pretty good chance that I would have completed it, even without the rockets or any additional ammo, if it had been in operation.

Edited by Summer Deep

I'm not going to try and change major parts of the level unless it's absolutely necessary and the time will come when I swing by and remaster this because this was not my full vision and I had many more ideas to cram into this map but was restricted by a time limit for the Vinesauce Doom Mapping Contest.

However I have tried to address some of the things brought up in this thread and changed a few things, the major change being moving the yellow key room to a more obvious place so that you don't have to backtrack with the yellow key, this should make the fight easier at the end and give you an extra push in the library, on the same topic of changing things I re-enabled infighting for Hardmode since the public release is not intended for Vinesauce Joel. Anything nightmare and above will still have it disabled though.

On the topic of music, while I'd like to include PSX Doom music or otherwise something that resembles Drone music and an unsettling atmosphere I would rather it be free from royalty and copyright to reduce the chance of a takedown, I understand the doom community is kind of an unrestricted place when it comes to copyrighted music but I also like to keep all my ducks in order when it comes to this. I won't be changing the music at this time but if I find something down the road I'll go ahead and update it, but I'll leave it as is for now.

Thanks for letting me know about this stuff.

Is this supposed to not have any music? I'm using GZDoom 3.6.0 with the latest version of the WAD.

1 minute ago, KVELLER said:

Is this supposed to not have any music? I'm using GZDoom 3.6.0 with the latest version of the WAD.

Yes. As stated in the original post and further posts, I removed copyrighted music (PSX Doom) because of it being copyright.

18 hours ago, LocalDuck said:

Yes. As stated in the original post and further posts, I removed copyrighted music (PSX Doom) because of it being copyright.

Oh, alright, it's just that I thought you would put something in to replace it. It's ok either way.

This lamp (which is near the start of the map IIRC) is inside the wall, and it actually caused GZDoom's shadow maps to freak out:

3wR82fe.png

You should put the fence texture on the inside of this cage as well, otherwise it looks really weird:

O2XiF9k.png

The upper steps surrounding this teleporter aren't textured:

IurcLbR.png

Played through this again (v1.2), got the RL from the yellow door room, found the finale perfectly doable. You're right, there's definitely enough ammo to get the job done on 'Hard' difficulty, even without the plasma gun.  It helps also to make use of the 'Berserk' capability which seems to be added after a teleportation in the later stages as well. I found it was best to retreat to the small courtyard area when the AV boss appeared and to engage with him from there. Far less risk of blowing yourself up with the RL, plus he seems reluctant to enter that area.

Edited by Summer Deep

Hm that's strange, you shouldn't be able to enter back into the hell knight fight once you start the switch sequence. Looks like a rush job on my end, patched in latest version.

Updated main post with fixes in my previous post and the hell knight rush job, good eyes and thanks for telling me.

Would greatly appreciate if you used as latest Zandronum as possible to support coop mode. Me and a friend ran Zandronum 3.1 180901-1533 (development version) on Window$ 10 (host) and 7 (Client) where the map worked perfectly all the way to the Arch-vile boss, but once we died to the enemies there and respawned we were blocked by the tele which took to the arena, so we had to quit there.

21 hours ago, rautamiekka said:

Would greatly appreciate if you used as latest Zandronum as possible to support coop mode. Me and a friend ran Zandronum 3.1 180901-1533 (development version) on Window$ 10 (host) and 7 (Client) where the map worked perfectly all the way to the Arch-vile boss, but once we died to the enemies there and respawned we were blocked by the tele which took to the arena, so we had to quit there.

The map was not intended for multiple players, and as such is only suited for one player. There is currently no players to add multiplayer support as the atmosphere would be ruined otherwise.

The post has been updated and a hotfix has been deployed for a numerous amount of issues found during an FDA playthrough which can be found here:

This is primarily a hotfix build and as such no new gameplay content has been added, the hotfix is focused on texture issues and explaining the direction and objective of the player during the power sequence.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:20 PM, LocalDuck said:

The map was not intended for multiple players, and as such is only suited for one player. There is currently no players to add multiplayer support as the atmosphere would be ruined otherwise.

It should be a pretty easy fix, and it's the Players' problem to worry about 'atmosphere getting ruined'.