Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Performance improvements for console ports?

All Doom console ports have framerate problems of varying degrees. Is it possible to improve their performance by rebuilding nodes and REJECT lumps for their maps? Or other ways?

If this is naive, don't make fun of me :D

Well, it certainly seems to be a possibility, seeing that most ports were rushed out of the door and probably not optimized at all. Some probably could even reverse engineer the engine and optimize things directly there, although this is quite some coding work and not just rebuilding notes.

Personally: I would love to see a better Sega Saturn version. It always hurt me, that my favourite console has a very shitty Doom port. Exhumed, Duke Nukem and even Quake were way more awesome. I would love to see Doom in that Lobotomy engine.

The two ports that probably could have been improved the most are the 3DO and Saturn versions. The former was ported by one person on a crunch, the latter was denied GPU support due to Carmack not liking the texture warping it caused. The 32x version could have been improved for music and content but they probably did the best they could in terms of system performance.

it seems very unlikely that the problems can be alleviated by simple methods, honestly. I guess node tweaks might help, I remember Ling experimenting with reversing the way nodes are stored on disk and seeing some performance increases in timedemos, but the flaws of these ports seem more fundamental than that.

Apparently, the Saturn version could have been easily fixed by just enabling use of the Saturn's GPU, Carmack tied their hand behind their back because he didn't want warping textures. Would have been a preferable alternative to unplayable choppiness.