• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Doom: Hell on Earth 2.1

Sign of Evil – Part 1

-

“What the Devil is...that!?” Stevenson growled when he saw the disgusting tentacles worm around on the walls.

“I don’t like the looks of this Sir” Crash mumbled quietly.
“I didn’t ask for your opinion Second Lieutenant!” Stevenson barked, his eyes still focused on the repulsive sight.
“Permission to speak Sir?” I asked.
“What?” Stevenson snarled irritably.

“These vines could indicate that the monsters have manipulated the environment in some way. That they have brought their own reality with them” I told him, ignoring his condescending demeanor.
“Whaddya mean soldier? Make yourself clear or I’ll have your ass dammit!”

I paused for a moment, then spoke slowly in a low, almost whispering voice.
“We might be closer to that ‘device’ of theirs which upholds that damned flame barrier over the port. It must be a devilish creation of sorts and an environment similar to that found in their own world may be required to support it”
“How d’ya know that this shit is similar to their own home? You been to their place soldier?”

I opened my mouth to respond, but Crash cut in with a cool voice.
“Sir, It seems only feasible that TX056 is right, I must humbly suggest that we continue and try to find this thing, Sir”

Stevenson looked at her. I could almost feel his dislike for her. “Very well...” He mumbled.

-

“This place is kinda creepy..” Nash mumbled behind me. Crash immediately shushed him.

The floor was covered in a thick layer of something organic that stank like excrement and some of the walls were seemingly made of flesh. But I also noticed burnt areas and the stench of something burnt was evidently among the horrible smells. I was beginning to wonder whether we had found an entryway to Hell itself or whether it was as I had assumed. Maybe it was even something else, but regardless, this was not something I was happy about and flashbacks from my experiences in Hell plagued me while I checked the nightmarish corridors, making me extra paranoid.

The hallway suddenly ended in a large hall, which proved to me that we were still inside the actual star base and not in Hell, as I could see metallic walls and computer terminals around in the room.

At the center stood four disgustingly fat blobs of creatures. They seemed to be made out of pure fat and two, broad, short trunks as legs that reminded me of the feet of an elephant, just much fatter, supported their enormous corpuses. Their heads, though rather large, seemed ridiculously small compared to their broad frame, two empty eye sockets made it out for their eyes, they had an undershot jaw with two large fang teeth. From their fat lips flowed a constant stream of disgusting green saliva of a particular slimy and disgusting sort. But what was the most evident thing about them where the large metallic, cylindrical devices that made it out for their underarms. Large tubes ran from these metal things to a pair of fuel containers on their back.

I instantly recognized them from the handheld computer I had looked at about a day ago. These fat bastards were the so-called mancubuses, some called them mancubi, but the name really didn’t matter to me anyway. What mattered, however, was that these devices that replaced their underarms were a type of flamethrowers which made these monsters formidable enemies. I went through the things that I could remember about the mancubus in my head. Their skin was surprisingly solid and the many layers of almost solid fat in their bodies could absorb the impact of most projectile weapons, making them a lot tougher than they looked.

My thoughts only lasted a second. Two mancubuses saw me and as two bright green lights started to glow in their empty eye sockets, they let out a barking growl, almost like a big dog letting out a snarling bark but it sounded like they were growling through slime. The two others that had their backs turned on me turned around and barked in unison.

“Mancubuses!” I growled in my radio and ran for cover behind a large set of computer consoles. “Four of ‘em!”
One of the fat demons let out an ominous grunting sound, that almost sounded like it said something in its disgusting, slime-filled voice, it raised its weapons and the flamethrowers spat out huge fireballs. I dove down behind the computer and I heard how the screens where smashed as the flame balls hammered into the machine and how the materials creaked in reaction to the sudden flame attack.

Three rockets suddenly soared out from the hallway from where I came, and slammed into the mancubus, ripping its repulsive body apart. It let out a deep moan as its ruined skin more or less slipped off it, revealing the few guts that were hiding behind the huge layers of fat, and the remains fell to the ground.

The other three demons turned towards the new source of danger clearly showing that they were not too bright, which I now remembered was also mentioned in the intel. I rushed out of hiding and fired my combat shotgun in one of the mancubus demons’ back. It let out a disgusting, prolonged moan and slowly turned around.

One of the other monsters started spraying fireballs at the opening, while the other two were, more or less confused, turning in my direction. I had time to fire at the first mancubus one more time, before I reckoned that I had to get out of the spot, because I sure didn’t want to be caught in the mancubus’ other, more close quarter based, flame attack.

I quickly backpedaled while reloading the combat shotgun and the horrific monster let out its strange battle cry at me again. Two large gouts of incinerating flame shot out from its twin flamethrowers in my direction, but I was clear of the blast area. Behind a large metal pillar, I quickly shifted to my chain gun and leapt out to finish off the monster, which was now bleeding heavily.
The chain gun roared as it filled the fatso with lead and the swollen body tipped over and crashed onto the floor, its organs and blood spilling out on the floor.

I started harassing the other two monsters with a damaging rain of bullets drawing their attention and as they turned away from the opening where my comrades were hiding, a stream of blue plasma energy burned the two abominations from behind and I watched as they fell.

My buddies quickly ran into the room, securing the area, but something else had caught my attention. I could hear the growling of a frighteningly large amount of demons. I could hear demons of all kinds and their ominous howls and screams echoed throughout the metallic tunnels all around us.

“I think we need to get out of here now” Crash said as she heard it.
“Yeah, agreed” Stevenson replied dryly.
Stevenson looked around and chose a hallway. “We take this way, let’s go!” and with that we all ran down the hallway. Stevenson ushered me up front and demanded that we moved ahead in orderly fashion.

Knowing that we would encounter a lot of opposition ahead, I had my chain gun pulled out and ready to rock and roll. I rounded a corner to see a large group of imps hissing defiantly at us. The only response they got from me was a heavy barrage of bullets from my chain gun. Strangely enough, seeing their wretched bodies get ripped to shreds by the chain gun excited me and made me even more eager to continue the battle than before, but at the same time I also knew that we would eventually run out of bullets if we just took on all of these creatures that we could hear.
We ran over the corpses of the imps. Their smelly blood and rugged meat squished under our boots.
I could feel that we were moving upwards as the floor was getting steeper.

Without warning, we ran straight out into the open. We couldn’t see the sky for the huge layer of flame that covered everything above us, but we knew that we were outside, because we could feel the fresh air and the very sight of the flame barrier, told us that we had made it outside. Surrounding this enormous yard, tall buildings loomed over us.

“COVER!” Goliath roared and everyone dropped down behind ruined remains of walls as gunfire echoed across the open space.

“Commandos!” Goliath told me. I nodded to signify that I already knew. Looking around, I saw an opening that apparently led down underground again. I nodded in the direction of the opening and they replied that they understood. I leapt up and briefly sprayed the area with suppressing fire before diving back behind the wall. But while I had fired, two of my comrades had made it to safety. I repeated the trick, but this time I took a hit in my right shoulder before I got down behind cover. The shoulder plate of my combat armor took the impact, but it still hurt.

The rest of my comrades had made it to safety. “I’ll cover you buddy” Goliath’s pleasant voice told me in my radio. I quickly replied that I got it and in the next instant, Goliath opened fire.

I ran toward the opening and almost made it when I felt a sharp pain in my leg, making me grunt out loud in pain. A bullet had grazed my upper leg. I could still run, but blood ran from the minor wound, and I knew that the scent of blood would attract the demons. I let out a stream of muttering curses as I ran.

We moved down the hallway. Stevenson, that jerk, had placed me behind the others to cover our retreat. I saw a figure emerge in the opening and dropped it with a well-aimed burst. I heard the death roar of the former human echo throughout the dank hallway. The others suddenly stopped.

Peering closer, I saw a large crack in the floor in front of my comrades.

“We’ll have to jump” Stevenson muttered in a grave voice. “Crash, you go first”.

Crash threw over herself over the gap and landed safely on the other side. “Next!” she grunted.

Goliath and Nash both made it to the other side safely as did Stevenson after he had ordered me to throw the precious BFG over the gap for him. I realized that the asshole hadn’t even used that gun yet.

Finally, it was my turn.

I ran towards the edge as fast as I could, the wound in my leg slowed me down, and hurled myself over the shaft. I only just missed the other side and felt only empty air under my feet. Desperately waving my arms about, letting go of the chain gun, I caught the edge with my hands.
The edge was slippery and I instantly knew that I couldn’t pull myself up again.

“Here! Grab my hand!”
Looking up I saw Stevenson loom over me, stretching out his gloved hand at me.
Ah, so he finally sees the necessity of helping the rest of the group I thought thankfully and let go with one hand to grab the Lieutenant’s hand.

To my surprise, he quickly pulled his hand away when I reached for it and stepped back.
I couldn’t keep myself up with one hand so I slipped.

And fell.

I briefly caught a glimpse of Stevenson smiling while looking down at me. A gleeful smile.

MRB_Doom said:

Stevenson is quite annoying, if I might add :(

He's supposed to be a jerk - care to elaborate on why he is so annoying so that I might fix that in later parts?

dsm said:

He's supposed to be a jerk - care to elaborate on why he is so annoying so that I might fix that in later parts?

I meant from the Doomguy's point of view, Stevenson is getting annoying (or more for that matter) considering his journey.

Ahhh! nice cliffhanger. I love the way you did the mancubus. oh and stevenson must pay for his idiocy in a most painful way.

MRB_Doom said:

I meant from the Doomguy's point of view, Stevenson is getting annoying (or more for that matter) considering his journey.

Annoying? Stevenson's an asshole to him. Every story MUST have some sort of human evil.

VileSlay said:

Ahhh! nice cliffhanger. I love the way you did the mancubus. oh and stevenson must pay for his idiocy in a most painful way.

Cliffhanger? For a moment, he was. :P And you're right; make the bastard pay. >:)

ravage said:

Annoying? Stevenson's an asshole to him. Every story MUST have some sort of human evil.

Again, if you look from the Doomguy's point of view, Stevenson is obviously getting annoying, because he's acting like an ass. Get it?

VileSlay said:

oh and stevenson must pay for his idiocy in a most painful way.

Then I shall not disappoint you, muhahahahahahah! *rubs hands*

Where's 1.9 and 2?

If you had read all the "Doom: Evil Unleashed" chapters as well as the intro episode for this story, you'd know that the 'x.y' is not decimal. In this case, '2' is for the Episode and '1' is for the chapter, so it's episode 2, part 1.
I have this system of writing my stories in a predetermined number of episodes (I always know roughly how many episodes I want to write +/- prologue/ending chapters), each with a maximum cap of nine parts (I usually strive to make it eight parts as to not make the story too long).
So in my thread headings I write the story's title 'Doom: Hell on Earth' to indicate which of my multipart stories it is and then I write the 'x.y', where x = Episode and y = Part, to inform which chapter it is - there is a limit at how long a thread heading should be, thus preventing me from writing "Episode 2, Part 1".
So in other words, there is no part 1.9 or 2.0.

Again, if you look from the Doomguy's point of view, Stevenson is obviously getting annoying, because he's acting like an ass. Get it?

At least I get it, yeah.

MRB_Doom said:

Yes, I understood. That what I said.

I briefly caught a glimpse of Stevenson smiling while looking down at me. A gleeful smile.

"That smile was quickly replaced by horror as my hand somehow grabbed his suit collar and dragged him down with me, his body flying over my head and descending just before me.

"Noooooooo!" he screamed as he plummeted towards the ground about one hundred feet below. His scream as

THUMP-THUMP!"

Oh wait, I'm not dsm...oh well :p

Livo said:

"That smile was quickly replaced by horror as my hand somehow grabbed his suit collar and dragged him down with me, his body flying over my head and descending just before me.

"Noooooooo!" he screamed as he plummeted towards the ground about one hundred feet below. His scream as

THUMP-THUMP!"

You're being far too gentle towards the jerk ;-)
Here's another one: "Suddenly a large pink shape leapt over the hole and knocked Stevenson to the ground. He let out a surprised yelp as he landed on the dirty floor, then he started screaming in terror. The monster bit its powerful jaws around his arm and with a quick jerk with its large head, it tore off Stevenson's arm and his scream of horror was distorted into a scream of agonizing pain. The monster started chewing on his armor, tearing the armour plating apart, and ripping large gashes in his skin, before it dug its hideous jaw into his belly and tore out a large chunk of flesh, exposing Stevenson's intestines..."
>:-]