Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I wonder if anyone's going to get around to making a full-fledged resource pack of the unused stuff. The one that's been floating around is very incomplete.

5 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I wonder if anyone's going to get around to making a full-fledged resource pack of the unused stuff. The one that's been floating around is very incomplete.

Seconding this. It'd be nice to have all those extra materials tidied up and put together in one package.

I just wonder why was that one specific texture labeled "do not use"... and now that someone made a tiled version of that texture so it will inevitably end up being used after all... are we going to suffer some terrifying unforeseen consequences of not heeding the cryptic warning?

i honestly have no idea if this is a quirk of vanilla or prboom but apparently the face responds to pain faster than the palette does

Just made an interesting discovery - a bug in the behavior of Lost Soul. After the attack, stopping near an obstacle, he simply stands still and does not attack the player until he sees him again. One condition is important here - the player should not use a weapon. If a shot happens, the effect will immediately be lost.

Similar happens under Chocolate Doom and Boom. In G\ZDoom ports there is no such thing.

Interestingly, had anyone noticed this before?

Yes, of course. In fact this was even mentioned on the previous page of this thread:

On mardi 30 octobre 2018 at 7:27 AM, InsanityBringer said:

pedantry, I guess: in vanilla doom lost souls "go to sleep" if they hit a wall after seeing you and charging, if you haven't made a sound. This occasionally has some application, such as 4shockblast's well known E2M8 pacifist run.

This is a voodoo doll, not another player, when I was playing Eternal Doom.

If you crouch, it crouches. Curious, funny. Maybe not classic Doom related, since crouching didn't exist in the original Doom where mappers however would use voodoo dolls, but a bug/feature of GZDoom?

Jumping or shooting or anything else doesn't have effect.

It added by ZDooM a time ago(not sure when it was in) so GZDooM also has it too.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Crouching

===

Also, unused death "crouching player" sprite set exists (was in gzdoom.pk3 but now is in zd_extra.pk3, due GZDooM has been GPLed. For ZDooM, it should be in zdoom.pk3.)

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18162

(My bug report about this from 2008, too bad it still not happens, not sure if "technical reasons" still exists now...)

Just check your zdoom.pk3/zd_extra.pk3(if exists) and will found them in sprites/plyc/ directory.

Finally I found out, that Tanrock3 is the perfect wood substitute. Finally I have a "wood" flat, without weird borders,grooves or details. Actually it looks more like wood than rock.

tanrock3.png.63747e600f92d8016eca72513a5c1fe5.png

They might've also used the texture as rock. But also, it seems that they liked grouping many textures under similar names even when it didn't make much sense. See the SLIME* and RROCK* flat series in particular.

I have just this moment realized that Graf Zahl is not the given name of the person who maintains GZDoom, but is in fact the German name of the Count from Sesame Street. (And I took German for four years and never realized the pun...)

On 11/6/2018 at 7:36 AM, elend said:

You are right. It's exactly the same. Why name it "rock" then?

The texture, patch, and flat names in Doom became more and more distant from their original reasonings, as Doom went from alphas, to beta, to release, and up to Doom II. If you study this progression, you find that certain groups of images get split up and moved around many times. I suppose the id guys got used to the names, and didn't bother to better organize them.

All-Ghosts bug in Memento Mori again. This time Memento Mori 2, map 4. When I did the jump from the secret in the bloodfall to the other southern area - between Duck Nukem's grave and Green Soldier's grave - I was right inbetween some imps and demons and couldn't hurt them, no matter how much I shot. I also think I walked through walls too. 

15 hours ago, spd7693 said:

All-Ghosts bug in Memento Mori again. This time Memento Mori 2, map 4. When I did the jump from the secret in the bloodfall to the other southern area - between Duck Nukem's grave and Green Soldier's grave - I was right inbetween some imps and demons and couldn't hurt them, no matter how much I shot. I also think I walked through walls too. 

what source port are you using?

After Hitler was killed by BJ in Wolf 3D, the Icon of Sin transported his remains to hell to resurrect and turn him into the first Mancubus, his mustache remained but it was turned green.

Edited by Avoozl

While I am far more than liable to be proven otherwise, but I believe this scenery in Plutonia MAP10 I suddenly became aware of during a recent replay might be qualified an entry on the unwritten list of "Plutonia doppelgängers" (i.e. MAP21 <-- Doom II MAP11, MAP18 <-- Doom II MAP14, etc.), unless it haven't yet:

E3M4Homage.png.9060837c582f908181b22bccd17950fb.png
For me, it seems like a smaller, less fleshy and/or bloody version of the so-called "E3M4 torture chambers".

Just found out something interesting, apparently if you're standing on pain sector and an enemy is attacking continuously at you, when you die on that sector, that enemy will keep firing and "hurting" the player even if it's dead already:

DOOM0001.png.cf695b262d379feb2bf6bc0bc1d80871.png

(Absolutely Killed, E1M6)

Excuse the red screen but the spider just didn't want to stop shooting, she wanted to destroy my spirit too. What I don't know is what does exactly kill me first, if bullets or lava. Quick demonstration here: killed_e1m6proof.zip, wad is Absolutely Killed E1M6. And if someone knows about this phenomenon and cares to explain, I'll be very glad to learn.

The chaingun spider probably doesn't call A_CPosRefire or A_SpidRefire in its attack state, which are used to tell the monster when to stop firing.

10 hours ago, InsanityBringer said:

The chaingun spider probably doesn't call A_CPosRefire or A_SpidRefire in its attack state, which are used to tell the monster when to stop firing.

Sure, but @galileo31dos01 mentioned how the spider kept "hurting" them after dying (hence the red screen). There's something else going on here.