Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Diablo Immortal

My favorite thing about this announcement is that HARDKOAR GAMURZ once again forgot that mobile gamers exceed the number of desktop gamers. Blizzard would be stupid not to make more mobile games. But why let reason get in the way of virginal REEEEEEEEEEEing? 

Also, contrary to what the Diablo forums and subreddit say, Blizzard is working on multiple Diablo projects. Projects. With an "S". 

"The forges here at Blizzard are burning hot, and we have multiple Diablo projects in the works," community manager Brandy Camel said at the game's Facebook page. "Some of them are going to take longer than others, but we may have some things to show you later this year. We hope you stay tuned while we work to bring these Diablo experiences to life."

And they still haven't delivered on their promise of a Diablo 2 remaster, and it looks like WC3 will get that such treatment before it. it figures that the only one I am waiting for is last.

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Yeah, the announcement of a mobile exclusive game didn't go down so well...

Assuming mobile=touchscreen, I don't see the problem. Diablo has always been point-and-click, you're just going to touch on the screen where you want your hero to go or attack. It's not as difficult as Doom to control.

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Yeah, the announcement of a mobile exclusive game didn't go down so well... Diablo Dev-Team got boo'ed on stage apparently.

They sure did. This is the kind of thing I'd expect to see from EA, not Blizzard. 

1 hour ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

That like/dislike ratio says otherwise.

I doubt mobile gamers pay any attention to game companies, game development, or participate in any way other than going to the app store and playing what's listed on the top 10 or advertised on television.

The game isn't aimed at the current Diablo fanbase, it's aimed at kids playing Fortnite (because apparently playing real games on mobile is a thing now). I expect it'll be pretty profitable for them, packed with all the microtransaction goodies.

But that's also exactly why they shouldn't have announced it as the Next Big Thing at a convention attended by fans of your brand. Those fans aren't interested, they want Diablo 4 and/or a Diablo 2 remaster. It's clearly a bridge project to fill the gap until they are ready to announce D4, but Blizzard probably should've treated and announced it as such instead of making it the centerpiece of their announcements.

7 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

My favorite thing about this announcement is that HARDKOAR GAMURZ once again forgot that mobile gamers exceed the number of desktop gamers. Blizzard would be stupid not to make more mobile games. But why let reason get in the way of virginal REEEEEEEEEEEing? 

Also, contrary to what the Diablo forums and subreddit say, Blizzard is working on multiple Diablo projects. Projects. With an "S". 

"The forges here at Blizzard are burning hot, and we have multiple Diablo projects in the works," community manager Brandy Camel said at the game's Facebook page. "Some of them are going to take longer than others, but we may have some things to show you later this year. We hope you stay tuned while we work to bring these Diablo experiences to life."

People can scoff at what they don't like, and is A MASSIVE FUCKING COMPONENT in the design process of every product from toothpaste to bullet trains.

I'm reminded of when Id Software announced a big secret surprise coming up in Carmack's keynote at Quakecon. Everybody was anticipating Doom4 stuff, but then it turned out to be RAGE in the iphone.

17 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

People can scoff at what they don't like, and is A MASSIVE FUCKING COMPONENT in the design process of every product from toothpaste to bullet trains.

I'm not really excited for Clash of Diablo either, but the reaction by the fanbase has been absolutely absurd. You'd think Blizzard declared mainline Diablo dead and buried with the reaction Immortal has been receiving. 

6 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

1869153461_Untitled2.png.cde789494e96c283bc98212ba4a71f66.png

That like/dislike ratio says otherwise.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

"don't you guys have phones"

We do but its not for serious Gaming.

Diablo 3 was already a disappointment for me then this...

Can Activision just go out of business please? 

8 hours ago, printz said:

Assuming mobile=touchscreen, I don't see the problem. Diablo has always been point-and-click, you're just going to touch on the screen where you want your hero to go or attack. It's not as difficult as Doom to control.

/me looks at the keyboard full of hotkeys to different spells and wonders if printz actually played all that much of Diablo 2. 

Jokes aside though. Yeah I can see Diablo 3 as a mobile game since you didn't have the same type of controls there. But if you actually wanted to make use of your character's abilities in 2, you would have a lot of hotkeys.

@freeze : There is a thing such as "cater to your audience". Don't get me wrong, there is probably an audience for Diablo on mobile. But people who go to these conventions, isn't it. There's been 5 years since Reaper of Souls, an addon to a disappointing 3rd entry in the Diablo franchise. Announcing a mobile game at a convention for the people who played your games for decades is quite tone deaf.

EDIT: Apparently there were another expansion released last year for D3, called Rise of the necromancer. This had passed me by completely but apparently it's (mostly) just a reintroduction of the Necromancer char from D2, aaaaand you need to own Reaper of Souls to play it.

Edited by kristus

Zero gameplay in a 3 minute trailer? I've always struggled to find entertainment in the genre. Too much loot, boring combat. This trailer failed to draw me in. I think it's proof Diablo fans will get it no matter what. As long as people can make real money from selling loot, it will be a hit.

9 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

My favorite thing about this announcement is that HARDKOAR GAMURZ once again forgot that mobile gamers exceed the number of desktop gamers. Blizzard would be stupid not to make more mobile games.

Mobile market is entirely different from desktop market. Check the bestsellers on google play its full of either puzzle games, or clash of clans clones. Unlike pc gaming, smartphone gaming is usually made with the player checking in on a game once in a while, with microtransactions if player wants to play more. This isn't compatible with singleplayer experiences Diablo is known for, and people are upset, because they know how this will turn out, in a bad, cheap. microtransactionn ridden game, one they were waiting for years.

It's not HARDKOAR GAMURZ that are upset, it's the normal consumers

Mobile gaming is very bad, i say that from my own experience. You can't keep your fingers on touch screen just for resting and waiting to press. TS is less responding if game\phone lags. You can't see through fingers. And now all mobile games are freemium, so Diablo probably would be too. For me Diablo 1-2 are best.

All in all, announcing it in this way, in this venue was incredibly tone-deaf on their part.

Blizzcon is packed with "hardcore" PC gamers.

Mobile games are... not for that crowd.

I have no idea whether they thought this would go over well or not, but I'd like to think that there was at least a pang of self-awareness in at least a couple of the devs.  It's going to do well, since mobile games are basically a fountain of free money.  But I bet less than 10% of the people in that crowd will buy it.

I fucking won't. 

10 hours ago, Ajora said:

They sure did. This is the kind of thing I'd expect to see from EA, not Blizzard.

Maybe EA bought Blizzard LOL

a game announcement that doesn't appeal to me at all no longer elicits disappointment in me

i'm free. i don't care!

thank teh goddess im finally not a gamer anymore

Frankly who gives a shit? Diablo died with D2, the whole team left after D2. They have no originality left. They're just turd polishers now. They'll take a crap, polish it, and get a can of gold spray and make it nice and shiny.

3 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

Frankly who gives a shit? Diablo died with D2, the whole team left after D2. They have no originality left. They're just turd polishers now. They'll take a crap, polish it, and get a can of gold spray and make it nice and shiny.

Same story with Doom 2016 and Eternal.

Frankly who gives a shit? Diablo died with D2

Eh, I do.  I was hugely let down by D3 (which is what lead me to play Path of Exile, which consumed a good two years of my life) but I still care about the franchise.  Diablo 1 was just as big a part of my youth as Doom, and I still can fire up D2 to this day and have a good time.

I'd like to see them do well by the IP.  I know a D2 remaster is a sort of cheesy thing to ask for, but really if it just had some QoL updates (SO much clicking in that game, and inventory management is a chore) and looked good in widescreen I would buy that in a second.

I think this was announced the wrong way, especially when they took the main stage and got everyone's hopes up. But I don't think it's the end of the world. The gameplay doesn't look bad in my opinion, and this will get me through those awkward family gatherings during the holidays or birthday parties once it's released, so there's that for me. They're definitely going to release a Diablo VI at some point for those who want it and surely the Diablo II remaster is in the works. I'll reserve my judgement for when they show the way they monitize this game and how good it actually is. But I do think this should have been announced in a more subtle fashion. Taking the main stage to announce a mobile game at a very PC gaming focused event is kind of a stupid ass move imo.

Right, that's really what struck me out of this whole thing.  How on earth did they not know that this was going to go over like a lead balloon?  They *had* to know.

And the "What, you don't have phones?" reply was so monumentally douchey.