Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

What Do You Think Of The Doom Slayer?

To me, I prefer the original Doom Marine. It's nice to have a human soldier rather than a chosen one who's a god in Doom. I also think that the whole angry psychopath personality isn't fitting for the Marine. What are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

To me, I prefer the original Doom Marine.

It's the same guy though. But with that said, yes I prefer him AS the marine before. When he first began to kick ass.

Is the natural evolution of the Former Doom Marine. With taking cannon all iD games and endings, Doom Marine was already a death machine on the finals levels of Doom II. (Not couting the TNT Story, where u take hell again like faster than fast). He now have a great power of demon resistence yes, but he still use his core weapons to destroy all for better.

DoomSlayer for me

Even as a small kid I thought it was weird why Doomguy survived while all the other Marines were already dead by the time I entered the level. The whole Doomslayer lore nicely covers up the silly '80s action-hero plothole that is Doomguy.

Having recently replayed the first episode of Doom, I'm left to wonder. What if Doomguy REALLY died at the end of Episode 1 and that's when the Doomslayer inhabited his corpse?

Doomguy will always be best. He's not an alien god like the Slayer, but that's what I like about classic Doom.

I really like the DoomSlayer persona. Yes he's the biggest badass in the universe, but his complete and utter single-mindedness (kill all the demons) make him a pretty brilliant video game protagonist.  His complete lack of interest in anything other than killing demons actually makes him extremely relatable as a player character: his and our objectives are perfectly aligned. His OP-ness also addresses many of the 'just roll with it' quirks of the original game: running at a 50mph, carrying 8 weapons at once etc. etc. I really loved how unashamedly id embraced it all.

Jim Sterling did a nice little video on why he works so well as a protagonist.

the truth always saw the doomguy as someone who only wants to survive, but the passage of time showed him that the eternal fight could never end and he took the place of a soldier who would stop all hell

for me both doomguys I love

It all works for me, although to be honest I prefer him more as an average lone survivor and not an Edgy Legendary Warrior™.

for a basic protagonist, he works. doom 2016 revolves around making you feel like a badass so you may as well complete the impression by having the character effectively act the way you play.

it's a departure from the previous doom games, but tonally doom 2016 is also a bit of a departure, so it isn't really a problem.

I like the evolution of Doomguy into the Doom Slayer, but I prefer the classic take on him, the lone marine overcoming impossible odds by himself.

That's how I see it too. The Doomslayer is an evolution of the character, he became far more than he thought he was going to be. Kind of like the game itself. Sure, the devs knew the game was good and was going to sell well, like Commander Keen but I bet they didn't think it would reach this legendary status and that people would still be making stuff for it 20 years later. 

13 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

The character goes through a basic but awesome arc from d1 to d2 to d64 to d2016. A hardass marine who values justice over duty, as seen by him punching out a CO who ordered him to fire upon civilians, as a result he gets stuck with clean up duty on a mission that goes way worse than planned where he’s the only survivor, says “welp, shit, guess it’s up to me” and single handedly neutralises the threat from hell on Mars and it’s two moons, goes back to Earth, finds more demons, finds his pet rabbit dead, gets pissed and wreck’s hell’s shit once again, saves what’s left of humanity, helps to rebuild civilisation, then some stupid ass scientists are like “actually wait we can lern frum tha demins” and he’s like “ugh” and plunges headlong into the threat for the 3rd time, by the end he’s so familiar with hell/enraptured by hell and so far removed from who he once was that he fucking chooses to stay in hell and act as it’s gatekeeper but eventually he gets sealed away in the tomb, then he gets woken up and you can see the impact that living in hell has had on him, he’s pretty much a former human at this point, not to mention a killing machine. What a basic but badass arc for a character to go through in a 23 year timeline.

Doomslayer is just SSJ Doomguy. 

how much reason

Doomslayer looks like butcherkid. Doomguy never needed double jumps, weapon upgrades, crush every monster to get some cartoony items...

48 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Doomslayer is just SSJ Doomguy. 

Doomguy in a nutshell. that's all you need to know for the game.

10 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

Doomslayer looks like butcherkid. Doomguy never needed double jumps, weapon upgrades, crush every monster to get some cartoony items...

That's called change...

Or you want to see the new Doom games with the same gameplay of 25 years ago? Developers needed that change. 

And yes, I know that's all a personal taste.

4 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

That's called change...

Or you want to see the new Doom games with the same gameplay of 25 years ago? Developers needed that change. 

And yes, I know that's all a personal taste.

It would've also been completely pointless to make a new installment in the series that brings virtually nothing new to the table.

I agree about changes. But when you crush demons into bloody mess and it's so realistic, it can't be enjoyable IMO. Pick up not too big monsters and throw them into wall or another monsters would be nicer. Pick up any object to beat monster would be ok too. There are many things that would fit Doom better.

16 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

I agree about changes. But when you crush demons into bloody mess and it's so realistic, it can't be enjoyable IMO.

I can relate to that. Not impossible to enjoy for me, but there's just something about the glorious, pixelated gore of '90s shooters that makes killing enemies so cathartic and fun.

18 hours ago, Nevander said:

It's the same guy though. But with that said, yes I prefer him AS the marine before. When he first began to kick ass.

Personally I see Doom 4 as a different universe.

4 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Personally I see Doom 4 as a different universe.

At QuakeCon 2014 on July 17, wherein a closed presentation was made mainly to silence ongoing rumors of the project being in jeopardy.[51] id Software executive producer Marty Stratton, the host of the presentation, announced that Doom 4 had been renamed Doom as "it’s an origin game, reimagining everything about the originals".

So basicly it kind of is a different Universe.

On 11/3/2018 at 4:23 PM, Rimantas said:

I agree about changes. But when you crush demons into bloody mess and it's so realistic, it can't be enjoyable IMO. Pick up not too big monsters and throw them into wall or another monsters would be nicer. Pick up any object to beat monster would be ok too. There are many things that would fit Doom better.

Im enjoy that and im not a edgy kid. I trink it feel like Doom, when u can get the berzeker and explode imps and demons.

They both work, different eras, different universes. Angry Slayer is angry for some reason. Doom marine just wants to survive. 

Doomslayer is basically the godlike personification of the 80s action hero.

Unstoppable, No BS and destroys everyone in his way.

The Doomslayer lote actually gives an explanation as to why Doomguy can carry 8 weapons and survivr falling from 150 feet and only grunts.

On 11/4/2018 at 4:23 AM, Rimantas said:

Pick up not too big monsters and throw them into wall or another monsters would be nicer. Pick up any object to beat monster would be ok too. There are many things that would fit Doom better.

LOL that sounds absolutely lame and boring. Demons are vile creatures and need some rougher handling.

15 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

Ok, go get them, Tiger :)

Like the intro said:

"rip and tear until it is done."Thats the entire Doom series in a nutshell.