Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Community Chest 64

Are we still doing the halloween preview thing? If so I can put up some almost finished wip.

I can as well. My MAP07 is very near completion and in its current form it would be cool to get some feedback so I can work out the last kinks. On a related note, I've had so much fun with this engine/editor, I think I might make a tutorial series for Doom Builder 64. The one video on implementing switches is convoluted, too long and super awkward. There really isn't a much coverage on this and I can make concise, clear videos on instructional info.

56 minutes ago, Kore said:

Are we still doing the halloween preview thing? If so I can put up some almost finished wip.

9 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I can as well. My MAP07 is very near completion and in its current form it would be cool to get some feedback so I can work out the last kinks. On a related note, I've had so much fun with this engine/editor, I think I might make a tutorial series for Doom Builder 64. The one video on implementing switches is convoluted, too long and super awkward. There really isn't a much coverage on this and I can make concise, clear videos on instructional info.

I'll play them if you post them.

3 hours ago, GoatLord said:

On a related note, I've had so much fun with this engine/editor, I think I might make a tutorial series for Doom Builder 64. The one video on implementing switches is convoluted, too long and super awkward. There really isn't a much coverage on this and I can make concise, clear videos on instructional info.

That's the point of this project! EX is such an overlooked port and it deserves to have more love.

Unmaker was a badly designed gun honestly. It wasn't fun to use and is either underpowered or overpowered depending on how many of the unmaker keys you have.

4 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Unmaker was a badly designed gun honestly. It wasn't fun to use and is either underpowered or overpowered depending on how many of the unmaker keys you have.

The problem, IMO, was that it shares ammo with the plasma/BFG.  The moment you picked up one artifact, you rendered the plasma gun obsolete.  All three renders the BFG obsolete (hell, I think two is enough)

I like it's design otherwise.

TBH, I don't like how it turns from a long-range precision weapon into something that's only really efficient point-blank when fully upgraded. Also, it sounds weak.

2 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

TBH, I don't like how it turns from a long-range precision weapon into something that's only really efficient point-blank when fully upgraded. Also, it sounds weak.

Protip: Single fire it. Don't hold it unless you're in a crowd. For distance, just move closer. Sound is fine.

On 10/31/2018 at 9:05 AM, GoatLord said:

On a related note, I've had so much fun with this engine/editor, I think I might make a tutorial series for Doom Builder 64. The one video on implementing switches is convoluted, too long and super awkward. There really isn't a much coverage on this and I can make concise, clear videos on instructional info.

If you end up making those I should be able to link to them on the wiki. I've been considering putting links on the wiki to some of Antnee's posts in this thread teaching about macros too.

I'm definitely down for that. I'm hoping that it can help contribute to the emerging Doom 64 modding scene. 

On a related note, I've mastered "3D" suspended beams, but notice that if you add a shadow underneath, the affected wall's shadow pokes out of the top of the beam instead of stopping on its ceiling, which of course is a bit visually off. Is there any way around this? Without the shadow effect, it doesn't look as striking.

10 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I'm definitely down for that. I'm hoping that it can help contribute to the emerging Doom 64 modding scene. 

On a related note, I've mastered "3D" suspended beams, but notice that if you add a shadow underneath, the affected wall's shadow pokes out of the top of the beam instead of stopping on its ceiling, which of course is a bit visually off. Is there any way around this? Without the shadow effect, it doesn't look as striking.

The way I get around that is to make the lower half darker, along with the floor- while leaving the upper just as bright as the rest of the area.  It's counterintuitive but it actually doesn't look all that bad.

13 minutes ago, Antnee said:

That's one slick macro!

It's not entirely done though. I just realized it's possible to use the delay command to delay the time between actions. I will do this to make the lights turn on not quite as fast as they do in the gif. I would have done this before taking the gif but I did not realize you could use the delay command at the time. I also wanted the stairs to be created as a part of the macro but I could not do this since some of the sectors for them were already taken.

I should hopefully have a playable beta version of the map by tomorrow. I don't think it will actually be finished as I promised though, since I would like to do more detailing for it. But I should have at least a fully playable built of it. I will probably upload the beta built as a one last halloween treat your guy guys.

I am having some problems with the "macro suspend" action. The way Doom 64 EX works is that only one macro can be active a time and I have a looping macro that I want to end and the restart at certain times. I currently have tried using the macro suspend linedef but for some reason it doesn't do anything. Anybody have a solution to this problem?

I found that if your macro loops an "infinite" number of times, things don't work quite right.

Im sorry about being inactive for quite a while, but i've just started to work on my map. The editor was based on DB2 so a lot of shortcuts i was used to don't work, so it's gonna take some time to get used to it again.

Here are some screens of the starting area, im aiming for a short map

Spoiler

dAuJUX9.png

ay5WMjb.jpg

Sorry about not delivering on my promise of uploading a beta version tonight. I underestimated how much work was left. I should have a playable version tomorrow though.